weight, weight, weight... Isn't this about fitness?

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    too many people here are obsessed!
    crazy to weigh yourself every day,
    I do not even OWN a scale.
    wackos.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just care about moosels

I want to be so shredded that newbies here will say I look manly and gross

you win.
  • leonardramirez
    leonardramirez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Play nice in the sandbox.
  • leonardramirez
    Options
    Do you have a different version of the app than I do? MFP does measure fitness and it is actually called My 'Fitness' Pal, not My 'Weight Loss' Pal or My 'Nutrition' Pal. It seems to measure all of those things. You can plug in your measurements (as many as you want), and record those measurements, along with your nutritional intake right down to the Iron and Vitamin levels, ongoing like you do your weight. There are reports that show you your progress on all of those things.

Unsure of why everyone is attacking the question.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Okay, the subject was my rant. So sick of all the weight focus. Are you fit? How do you define fitness? Are you scale obsessed?

My goals are none of your business unless I ask for your opinion.

Why are you stressed out about what OTHER PEOPLE do? Does my focus on weight somehow keep you from achieving or working toward your own personal goal?

^^THIS^^.......After all, this is My FITNESS Pal.

Thank you for telling me I'm using this site wrong. :huh: Stupid me is using it to track my food intake. HERP DERP

I'm not fit; never have been and likely never will be. I care about how much I weigh because that's what my doctors care about. When/If I can reach the number they deem "healthy" and can fit inside the "normal and healthy" box they want to cram me into, then I'll deal with being fit.

Don't you know being skinny/thin is the only factor for determining someone's health? /sarcam
  • daisy79
    daisy79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be more healthy and get fit. I admit I tend to focus too much on the scale. I've recently began measuring myself and think that would be a more reliable way to gauge my progress. I want to not continue to live an unhealthy lifestyle so I can have more healthy happy years!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I use progress pictures and the mirror to measure my progress, not the scale.
  • daisy79
    Options
    The scale matters to my doctor.

It also matters to my insurance company.

It matters if you want to go skydiving or horseback riding.

Hell, if you're one of those people who likes segway tours of cities, it matters there too.

I'm more about fitness and health, but the scale is a pretty good indicator of how I'm doing too.

agreed :heart:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yeah, let's rant about people on a calorie counting site being concerned about their weight.
  • tiffanyalther
    tiffanyalther Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A lot of us need to lose weight in order to really even begin to worry about "fitness". I personally can't run to save my life and I feel a big part of that is because I am carrying almost 100lbs more than my body is MEANT to carry. And I am working 70+ hours a week for a few more months so right now my calorie content/weight loss from it is the only thing I can really "obsess" about
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Okay, the subject was my rant. So sick of all the weight focus. Are you fit? How do you define fitness? Are you scale obsessed?

My goals are none of your business unless I ask for your opinion.

Why are you stressed out about what OTHER PEOPLE do? Does my focus on weight somehow keep you from achieving or working toward your own personal goal?

If they're not anyone's business but your own then why bother posting?
    Because the OP was incredibly judgmental and rude?

Crikey! I thought your reply was unnecessarily aggressive. Nobody is forced to reply! :huh:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    OP, if what you were trying to say is, that you think there is too much focus on numbers and appearance, and not enough focus on health or fitness per se, then I would probably agree with you as that seems to be the case with many people here.

Personally I want to achieve a certain level of strength, cardiovascular fitness, endurance and flexibility and be healthy. Anything else is an added bonus.

People are just motivated by different things, so live and let live. :smile:
  • daisy79
    Options
    A lot of us need to lose weight in order to really even begin to worry about "fitness". I personally can't run to save my life and I feel a big part of that is because I am carrying almost 100lbs more than my body is MEANT to carry. And I am working 70+ hours a week for a few more months so right now my calorie content/weight loss from it is the only thing I can really "obsess" about
    good point! I wish I could run too. Its hard for me with shin splints and carrying around the extra weight. I'm hoping once I lose more, I'll be able to run/jog comfortably.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Yeah, let's rant about people on a calorie counting site being concerned about their weight.

LOL
  • leonardramirez
    Options

Soooo, since I have put everybody in their place for attacking the post, and nobody has yet to really answer your question...I'll take the liberty and answer it.

I define fitness by two things. Cardio and strength. I don't think I need to tell anyone here what the difference to those two things are.

A HUGE portion of weight loss IS in combination with fitness. Remember, it's a lifestyle change, not something temporary that you do to drop the pounds and then go back to eating McDonalds and high carb foods.

Keep your metabolism rates up.

Does that answer your question poster?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Soooo, since I have put everybody in their place for attacking the post, and nobody has yet to really answer your question...I'll take the liberty and answer it.

I answered one of them and since your smugness is pissing me off, I'll answer the other two.

My definition of fitness is what a dictionary says, of which there are several and not limited to:

1. The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.
    2. Good health or physical condition, especially as the result of exercise and proper nutrition.
    3. Biology The extent to which an organism is adapted to or able to produce offspring in a particular environment.

and:

1. the state of being fit
    2. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) Biology
    a. the degree of adaptation of an organism to its environment, determined by its genetic constitution
    b. the ability of an organism to produce viable offspring capable of surviving to the next generation

and:

the genetic contribution of an individual to the next generation's gene pool relative to the average for the population, usu. measured by the number of offspring or close kin that survive to reproductive age.

Am I scale obsessed?

IMO, no. I weigh myself once a day. For other people, this is considered obsessive.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do you have a different version of the app than I do? MFP does measure fitness and it is actually called My 'Fitness' Pal, not My 'Weight Loss' Pal or My 'Nutrition' Pal. It seems to measure all of those things. You can plug in your measurements (as many as you want), and record those measurements, along with your nutritional intake right down to the Iron and Vitamin levels, ongoing like you do your weight. There are reports that show you your progress on all of those things.

Unsure of why everyone is attacking the question.
    I was already in my place, so you didn't put me anywhere.

The fact remains that her OP/thread title were public, judgmental, assumptive and rude.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I define fitness by two things. Cardio and strength. I don't think I need to tell anyone here what the difference to those two things are.

A HUGE portion of weight loss IS in combination with fitness. Remember, it's a lifestyle change, not something temporary that you do to drop the pounds and then go back to eating McDonalds and high carb foods.

Keep your metabolism rates up.

Does that answer your question poster?

On cardio and strength. These things are still have so many variables in them. If I can squat more than someone, but they can run farther than I can, who is more fit? Or if I can deadlift more than they can, but they can bench more than I can, how does that change anything?

Fitness isn't so easy to define.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Well geez, so sorry for irritating you with my use of this free, public website to lose weight AND become more fit. It's a shame someone is forcing you to open all these lose weight blogs and threads. You should try and do something about that.

I'm not fit. I have to lose a little bit more weight before I can really start kicking for fitness. For me, fit would be able to race and practice with my kids, run without worrying about knees and back, bike farther than the country mile, lift farm equipment without so much effort and exhaustion.

No, I'm not scale obsessed. I use it as a tool, just like measurements and even subjective notes, like I lifted this tire two weeks ago and couldn't carry it, now I can get it out the barn door at least. Sorry you seem to have a problem with using yours, but many of us can use a scale and focus on losing weight while still remaining non-obsessed.

As my mother would say: MYOFB.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I'm focused on weight............... on the barbell

as for bodyweight... my ideal weight is the one that gives me the best wilks score...........