[food] Please help me pick :)

Options
Can you all help me out? I'm very new to this whole eating healthy thing & am going out to dinner for my husband's birthday this weekend. Well, the place is a little more upscale and has no menu nutritional values available. Out of the following dishes, what would be the healthiest option? Is there any listed that I should definitely stand clear of? I would really appreciate the help. I'm been on here almost 3 weeks and have already lost 7 pounds by eating better & exercising, so I don't want to mess up!

1. Chicken Dish: crawfish tail stuffed chicken breast breaded w/ breadcrumbs. Served with twin sauces of hollandaise and brown meuniere butter and chef's selected vegetable.

2. Fish Dish 1: Tilapia fillet dusted in pecan flour, deep fried, and served with a brown meuniere butter. Served with garlic mashed Yukon potatoes and chef’s selected vegetable.

3. Fish Dish 2: Grilled tilapia fillet covered in crawfish etouffee. Served with garlic mashed Yukon gold potatoes and chef's vegatable.

4. Pasta Dish: Choice of chicken or shrimp sauteed with red bell pepper, red onions, green onions and mushrooms, tossed penne pasta in a garlic-chile butter sauce.

5. Salad Option: Romaine lettuce topped with boiled baby shrimp, lump crab meat, and grilled tilapia - garnished with tomato, cucumber, carrots, hard-boiled egg, American cheese, hot pepper cheese and red bell pepper. Served with choice of dressing.

6. Sandwich Option: Grilled Chicken Panini on baguette bread with artichoke-spinach spread, caramelized onions, roasted red bell pepper and Swiss cheese. Served with parmesan potato chips.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First, why not just eat light all day, then just enjoy yourself? Yes, you'll go over your calories, but don't eat the whole meal, perhaps split one, eat light the next day, and you'll be fine. That being said, here's my takes on these dishes.

1. Chicken Dish: It's breaded, likely either pan fried or sautéed in oil or butter. Both of those sauces are cream sauces, so likely very high in fat and calories.

2. Fish Dish 1: Mashed potatoes are so yummy, but often very caloric, especially if made with whole milk or cream. And, the fish is deep fried, so you know it's going to be very high in calories.

3. Fish Dish 2: This seems ok, although the etouffee is probably fairly caloric. I'd get it without the mashed potatoes.

4. Pasta Dish: Probably at least 3 servings of pasta, and the sauce is butter based.

5. Salad Option: This seems pretty good. I'd go light on the cheese and egg, no dressing, just salt and pepper.

6. Sandwich Option: Depending on the spread, this could be fairly caloric as well. Perhaps without the baguette?

I think the "safest" choice on that list is the salad. But, again, a "treat" every now and then of a nice meal isn't such a bad thing. Especially if you're cognizant of how full you're feeling and you don't overeat. I often ask for things cooked in no butter or oil, and that can help. Steamed veggies on the side or a small side salad, no dressing are substitutions I often make for sides as well when I'm trying to be "good".
  • i_will_lose
    i_will_lose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that break down! I appreciate it. I feel so stupid asking for help on what to eat, but it's sort of overwhelming to see all of these foods that I know aren't great for you. Initially, I was planning on getting either the salad or fish dish 2 (based solely on what I think would taste good). After your break down, I am still thinking that one of those 2 would be the best options.
  • i_will_lose
    Options
    Any other input?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    JenMc's nailed it!! I'd go for the salad, avoid things fried in breadcrumbs or batter, avoid pasta-heavy things.

I just LOVE desserts, so if we're having more than one course I skip a starter & have (or sometimes share) a dessert. It's always worth casting an eye over the starters to see if there's one you'd like as a main course, maybe with an extra side order of salad or veg. Restaurants are quite happy to serve a starter to one person with a main for someone else - just ask.

Edited to add - if you like a dish but it comes with potatoes & you worry the serving will be too large and you'll succumb to "finish your meal" mentality, you can ask to be served just one potato, or just one tablespoonful of mash.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Anything fried, breaded, loaded with butter or made with creamy sauces is probably a calorie landmine, and I would stay away if I were trying to keep the calories reasonable. I would go with #5 if I felt like a main dish salad, but most likely I would end up with #3 with the etouffee on the side and subbing another veg or side salad for the mashed potatoes because I am very picky about salads and the description of the salad is not filling with me with confidence (sorta seems thrown together as an afterthought, and I can have one of those at home :laugh:) .

Alternately, I would eat lightly (lean protein/veggies) during the day, exercise, and eat a half portion of whatever the heck I wanted which might include mashed potatoes. :devil:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    JenMC nailed it. If you're super concerned about it go with the salad option without cheese (or go light on the cheese) and ask for a fat free or light dressing on the side so you can control how much goes on. Otherwise Fish Dish 2 is probably your best non-salad option, and it would be even better if you could sub veggies for the potatoes.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You got some great advice. I know you didn't list it, but I'd order a steak and/or lobster and salad.

Have fun!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Besides the advice above, you said this place was upscale. Usually upscale and nicer places actually have more realistic portions. When you go, try and look at what other people ordered to see the size of the plates and have this help you decide. And like some others, eat light, box up half, and save it for the next day and just eat light the next day too. No need to not enjoy the good food (i.e. not a basic salad) just because you are doing a "lifestyle change".
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    JenMC nailed it for sure!

Go for one with the least sauce and the most veggies. Drink lots of water before you eat, only eat half, and take the rest home.

I promise you that unless your meal is 24,500 calories you will not gain back 7 lbs... unless you're retaining water... but that will all come off within a couple days.

Personally I'd take an option with chicken so I can fill up on protein. Too bad there's all those sauces though.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'd pick . . . 5. Salad Option: Romaine lettuce topped with boiled baby shrimp, lump crab meat, and grilled tilapia - garnished with tomato, cucumber, carrots, hard-boiled egg, American cheese, hot pepper cheese and red bell pepper. Served with choice of dressing.

I love shrimp, crab meat and Tilapia!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would choose the salad, but without the boiled egg, and no cheese. Also you can ask that the fish, shrimp, not be cooked in oils, or butters.. Choice fat free, or light dressing. Stay away from breads and fried stuff. Good luck and have fun.....
  • gdneff
    gdneff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Preplanning is a always a good idea. Eat light earlier in the day (but make sure to eat so you aren't starving and eat everything in sight at dinner). Sometimes going over your limit is a good thing as long as you know ahead of time and can work with it which in this case you do.

Also remember that some restaurants allow you to make changes to their menu items. For example: ask them to broil or grill the chicken/fish instead of frying it. Change the bread on your sandwich from baguette to wheat bread or something similar. and swap the chips for the veggies.

A lot of these "upscale" restaurants also usually have a light menu as well. If its not on the menu, you can ask. I know there is a restaurant here in my area that is that way. If you ask them for their light menu they will provide it but they don't offer it.

Good luck, and enjoy.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Eh, if I eat fried fish or chicken, I just eat low calorie sides (like green stuff, not starchy stuff). Just ask the server to sub for a lighter option.

Since the meat is breaded, I skip the dinner roll/bread...or only eat half of what you normally would eat.

If you have a salad, ask for the dressing on the side and scrape off excess cheese.

Pasta is a disaster when I eat it, because I never get full on a serving (or I'm hungry an hour later and feel deprived).

Sauces are TOTALLY FINE; however, ask them to put the sauce on the side. Asking for your fats (butter, dressings, and sauces) on the side gives you a level of control so you can measure how much you're eating and account for it, and adjust accordingly when you get a feel for what appropriate portions look like.

ALSO, most restaurants serve double and triple sized portions. Ask for them to bring you a box at the beginning of the meal and split it before you dig in.

Don't drink your calories! Un-sweetened tea and water with lemon are good options.

Good luck!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Eat the food. I'm with hwillmott that usually nice places have smaller portions. Eat what sounds good, and it's just one day, so don't worry if you're over. If it is a ton of food take it home and give the leftovers to the hubby the next day if you don't want them (happy birthday!).

Your weight may go up due to water weight (sodium levels, glycogen store replenishing), but sometimes, it's just worth not worrying about food one night. Just don't look at it as, "well, I ate crappy, so I'm going to continue to eat crappy". Of course, you really shouldn't have guilt over a meal anyways.
  • i_will_lose
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really think I am going to go with Fish Dish #2. It sounds great to me. I will just eat light during the day so I have some wiggle room for dinner. I'm already promising myself not to eat all of the mashed potatoes, but I NEED to have some. They are one of my favorite foods ever lol Thanks again! I appreciate it.