Gym vs DVD workout?

Options
Which one suits you best...do you prefer to go to the gym or bring the gym to your house? Are those using DVDs alone really see the results?

Replies

• IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like working out in the gym because I am motivated by the people working out around me. I also like home workouts because they are easy to do without having to leave home or when I can't make it to the gym. I love anything Jillian Michaels, Insanity and T-25. I also use the Nike Training Club App to switch up my workouts.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Which one suits you best...do you prefer to go to the gym or bring the gym to your house? Are those using DVDs alone really see the results?

Depends on your goals and what equipment you have at home vs the gym.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    All my progress has been done at home. I started with various DVDs (Mostly the Jillian Michaels stuff & a few others that I checked out from my library), moving on to heavier dumbbells as I got stronger, and now I use a free app on my phone for workouts - Nike Training Club. I also run three days a week (started with c25k app, also free).

Lost about 26lbs and went from a size 10/12 to a 4, and look and feel better than I have in years.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    DVD's suit me best. I would easily talk myself out of going to the gym. I have a treadmill and a stationary bike, which I use occasionally, but I find them boring and it's hard to get motivated to use them. I have been using Leslie Sansone's walk at home dvd's . They are fun to do and I look and feel better than I have since I was in my early 20's! That was over 25 years ago.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer DVD's at home. I like not having to go somewhere else in order to do my workouts (going to a gym here can be difficult because of the traffic), I can fit my workouts in my schedule, and I have a somewhat limited knowledge of exercise and a limited amount of money to spend (so personal trainers aren't really an option for me). So I like to just push play and follow along. I am definitely seeing results. In the first month of Body Revolution (which I'm doing now), I lost just over 5 lbs and 10 inches. I'm only 5'2" so that was a huge deal for me. The only things that I would want to go to a class for would horse riding (which I'm hoping to get back into when I have a bit more money) and ballet. I'm doing a hybrid of Body Revolution and Brazil Butt Lift now at home and definitely don't feel like I'm missing out on anything!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    DVDs at home bore the mess out of me, and I feel less motivated to do them. I love going to the gym because the people around me inspire me to do my very best. Not to mention I get access to lots of weights and other equipment I don't have room (or money) for at my own house.
  • lynnlc
    lynnlc Posts: 12
    Options
    Definitely gym- if I get my butt there, I will work out hard... but if there's a couch right next to my workout area, I'm tempted to sit. Or just not to start at all! My absolute favorite thing is doing fitness classes AT a gym- set time, set place, people around you doing the same thing.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I prefer going to Gym. But if Gym Commute becomes a major issue then DVD workout at home is the savior.
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the replies...my work schedule, 2 toddlers and a traffic is gonna make it hard for me to go to the gym...but again I have a challenge my flat is so small and I will have a challenge to move around...but I can always re arrange the furniture...will see.
  • Jolein2003
    Options
    I prefer DVD's I can do everything in the privacy of my home :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do neither. I primarily do outdoor exercise (biking, running, walking, hiking), but add in some weight bearing exercise in my house on my own. I've got some weights, a stability ball, and pull up bar (for both pull ups and ab exercises). A gym is time consuming and expensive. DVDs can get boring pretty quick. Oh, that and I don't own a tv, so that would be an additional expense as well.
  • Mjnslce
    Mjnslce Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have to go 35 miles to the gym :( So I do DVD, treadmill, lots of walks and outdoor things!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I used to do DVDs, then started going to the gym. I liked doing stuff at home, however, once I got comfortable with my body and what I could do in my apartment, I joined a gym. I know what I am doing in there (from working out at home), and so I am not "paralyzed."
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I incorporate DVDs, going to the gym, and working out outside (hiking, running, etc.). It keeps things from getting boring by switching up the workouts and locations.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the replies...my work schedule, 2 toddlers and a traffic is gonna make it hard for me to go to the gym...but again I have a challenge my flat is so small and I will have a challenge to move around...but I can always re arrange the furniture...will see.

If you're thinking of DVDs look for mat style workouts .... pilates and yoga. If you've got room for the mat .... you've got enough room.

For cardio .... very little space is required for Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVDs.

To look at video clip (find mat workouts, whatever) .....collagevideo.com has video clips & reviews. DVDs work for me - no excuses.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    gym
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You can accomplish more with the equipment available at a gym than you ever could at home with a few sets of dumbbells and a home treadmill or elliptical. No DVD could ever lead you through a workout that is as effective as what you can achieve with gym gear. That being said, doing so requires a degree of knowledge most people don't have, and working out in gym environment can make it more difficult for some people.

I prefer doing at home workouts, but not to DVDs. If you think you need DVDs to lead you through a workout at home, well.... Actually I can't complete that sentence without blatantly insulting your intelligence. Sorry.

Anyway, I work out at home with sandbags and suspension trainers and a jump rope. I know what I'm doing well enough to get results without having a DVD lead me through a workout.

I am going to be perfectly honest. I don't feel that people who NEED a DVD to lead them through a workout DESERVE the benefits of a fit and healthy lifestyle. You owe it to yourself to do some research and to learn about how to do all this on your own, with nobody holding your hand on the way. And if you can't be bothered to do so, well then... Sorry.
  • GregJourney
    GregJourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a DVD nut. I just fine it easier to stay committed.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    DVD! Prefer to be in my own home, at my own time. I don't have to fight anyone for a machine or worry about making a fool of myself, plus no matter what DVD you buy, it is cheaper then a years membership at any gym. I am not a machine person anyways, I get bored easily. With DVDs you can switch it up and always go back to them. I have done Robin Antins ***** Cat Doll workouts, Tae Bo and currently doing Insanity with a little Hip Hop Abs in the mix. Love them and love the results I am getting.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Years ago I ran and had a gym where I worked, just couldn't do DVD's, fast forward to now and I have a 10.00 a month membership I rarely use (keeping until winter just to see) and love my DVD's. I like being able to come home after work and not go out again or bring stuff to work. It saves me travel time and I can be done, showered and ready for something else while before, I'd be driving home and still have to shower, etc.

I say, whatever works for you. I do a lot of Jillian Michael's, Jessica Smith, Cathe Fredrich, Tony Horton, always have an eye for something fresh. I lost 30 pounds at home and lost weight at the gym back then (didn't need to lose as much though)

I have weights 3-20lbs and a step bench...I also have a pilates gym although I haven't used that as much lately.

Also many people can do the same exercises without a DVD, but like the "company" or timing of the DVD...it keeps them moving the hour when they might stop without it. Everyone is different, I see great results from home workouts and my time at my gym saw so many people who never changed but came 5 days a week. It's all effort and desire.