Arc Trainers

Options
2»

Replies

• mrincredible93
    Options
    The ARC trainer has 100 different resistance levels and 10 different rotational settings...meaning there are 1000 potential setting variations on this machine. It's the only thing I miss about my old gym. My new gym does not have them. I love the workout on that machine!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've tried an arc trainer twice this week, including today. Most of my cardio lately has been on the Expresso bikes my gym has, but I wanted to try something that might be easier on my knees than those, the treadmill, and the elliptical. I really like it. It's much easier on my knees, but I still got a great workout. I'll definitely be keeping it as part of my cardio routine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/135616-arc-trainer-benefits/

Above link is to an Article written by a PHd - explaining the benefits of using arc verses elliptical. More calories burned in same amount of time.

That study compared the Arc Trainer to Precor ellipticals during a 30 min workout, performed at a predetrmined level of perceived exertion.

So the results of the study suggested that, at a predetermined level of perceived exertion, subjects on the Arc Trainer worked at a higher workload (and thus burned more calories).

The same study was done years ago using other cardio pieces--in that study, running on a treadmill scored the highest number of calories--again at a predetermined level of perceived exertion.

It's important to make that distinction, because it is important to emphasize that NO cardio exercise can inherently burn more calories at the same workload than any others. The reason why the Arc Trainer burned more calories in this study (and running in the other study) was because the subjects were working HARDER on those machines. So the only conclusion one can draw from this study is that, compared to Precor ellipticals, people on an Arc Trainer found it more comfortable to sustain a higher workload.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I love/hate the arc trainer. I def burn more cals in the same amount of time on it than on the treadmill. I def feel more of a "burn" in my quads. I have also noticed a reduction in cellulite on the backs of my legs once I started incorporating more arc trainer.

My husband also says that he burns more cals on the arc trainer too. He tore his PCL and preferred using the arc trainer while recovering.
  • 1fluffygirl
    Options
    I have had knee issues for 9 years, which has made it impossible to get any kind of cardio workout. I tried using an elliptical, but even though it's supposed to be low impact, my knees couldn't bear it. Planet Fitness introduced the Arc Trainer to me and it has made all the difference. I am now able to get a great cardio workout with NO knee pain. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm sure you've already tried it by now since your post has been here for a while. I just wanted to share my experience for anyone new looking for an answer. THE greatest workout equipment for bad knees, try it and see.
  • Fitres1
    Options
    The Arc Trainer will provides very low impact to your joints. I have knee pain my self and i would not go on any other cardio machine but an Arc Trainer. I recently purchased online an Cybex 610A Arc Trainer for my home. I got back into shape with out the constant knee pain stepping in the way. I ordered the arc trianer from The Fitness Resource, they were a great help in finding the arc trainer that would fit my life style and in my home.

http://www.thefitnessresource.com/Cybex_Arc_Trainer_610A_p/c-cy-e-610a-cpo.htm
  • Senneth12
    Options
    I like the arc trainer. I can use an elliptical, but the arc trainer is easier on my knees.
  • silverh
    Options
    I do 10 incline at 100% resistance set for my weight at 295 lbs. my best burn is 7000 calories. it took 5 hrs
  • silentpoetry
    Options
    Hi,
    This is my first post on these boards. I tried using an Arc Trainer and was completely confused. I don't understand how this works. I'm 5'2" and I felt like I was barely moving. Are your legs supposed to move. I'm not sure if it's because my feel weren't all the way to the front on the foot pedal. I wanted to get my legs to move faster on the machine but couldn't figure out how.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.