Can't do pushups, want to set goal.

Options
I can't do pushups, regular or on my knees. Would like to be able to do one. I want to set a goal of being able to accomplish at least 1 (and build from there) but how soon should I be able to do one? I don't want to set up for failure, but I don't want something so far out I don't push.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how long it will take, but I'd recommend skipping the on-the-knees variation and instead do elevated pushups. You can use a wall, counter top, table, stairs, bench, etc. A smith machine is useful (for once!) doing these because you can vary the height of the bar as needed. Stairs will allow this progression as well.

Slowly decrease your angle, and eventually you'll be doing them on the floor.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Start with wall push ups and do 3x of how many ever you can do everyday other day. Next week do incline pushups using a desk or table or whatever....do 3x how many ever you can do everyday other day. The third week progress to knee pushups...same thing....then onto regular pushups...I would think you'd be able to do a few by this time.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Have you tried modifying the pushup even more than you may have already?

For instance, standing back somewhat from a wall and doing a form of standing pushup or pushoff from the wall, and then once that is down comfy for say up to a couple of sets of 8 or 10 reps, then moving to a slightly tougher position (either standing further back from the wall, or moving to doing pushups where your hands on a countertop and you push up from there. (Countertop pushups are what I am doing presently until I build up some strength and tolerance in my wrists.)

Once those are down okay for some target amount of reps or sets, then move to a modified, knee-based pushup and subsequently to a regular one.

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's phenomenal!

EDIT: I see my post crossed with shannonmpls and cwolfman's post to the same effect.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Try building up to them, skipping the knee push-ups -

Start with wall push-ups:
    tumblr_lkl13vOLuR1qcmrp8.jpg

When those get manageable, do push-ups with your hands on the edge of a counter, then on a bench, then on an aerobics step (or just progressing down a set of stairs), until you can do them on level ground.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just set the same goal with my trainer yesterday. These are all great ideas too. I can do the modified, BARELY, so she told me just to keep practicing those until my core and chest are stronger. I find that my arms trying to lift my belly fat, are just not working right now. I'm to modify however I need to in order to accomplish but still whoop that muscle group (so it gets stronger), and gradually make it harder, until I'm doing a regular push up. As for a time frame, I guess it all depends on how hard I train and work at it. I would say in a month I should be able to do one.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always link this video when someone asks how to do push-ups from zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0lK3b7zhA

Ultimately the same idea as Loulady posted
  • lmo0183
    lmo0183 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Didn't think of doing something like that! I will have to check it out and try it out later :) The guys at work might question what the heck I'm doing.
    Thanks! About my weight loss, started at 330 lbs and down to 245 ish. I have started doing different fitness classes and they all have some pushups, I want to be able to do them!!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I can't do pushups, regular or on my knees. Would like to be able to do one. I want to set a goal of being able to accomplish at least 1 (and build from there) but how soon should I be able to do one? I don't want to set up for failure, but I don't want something so far out I don't push.

My trainer suggests doing them on a wall. You'd be surprised that it works and you will be able to do one on the floor in no time!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Also don't just do a 1/4 bend of the arms. Go for at least a 90 degree bend. This way you build up stabilizer muscles used during a push up. ROM counts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Start by doing push ups against a wall.
    Then moved to your kitchen counter top.
    Then to a lower piece of furniture (one that one move on you...like the back of your couch if its in the middle of the floor).
    Then to a lower bench.
    Then to a lower bench.
    Then to the floor.

Also, do planks...first on your toes and forearms; then move to your hands (i.e. in a push up position). Hold for 10-15 seconds and build up to a 1min or more!

It takes time to build that strength in your shoulder and arm muscles but you can do it!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Seconding the smith machine rec. I'm down to the third pin from the floor and it feels awesome to be on my way to "real" on the floor ones!