I'm new here. 50 years old Want to make it to 80.

Options
HI everyone. I'm a 50 year old 311 lbs stay at home mom with an 11 year old son. Yes I did this late in life. LOL. I want to watch him grow up and be there when he gets married and has kids. This weight is killing me. I have already dodged a couple of weight related bullets and I don't want any more. And while I'm still considering weight loss surgery, I don't want to wait till then to start. Kaisers program takes a year to get through. Every year waiting to lose weight is a year wasted to me. So I start again today. Every pound I lose is a day added to my life. Just wanted to say hi. Let's do this thing!!!

Replies

• oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site :flowerforyou:

take it one day at a time, making small changes to old habits really helps and you gradually find yourself changing and growing

drink 2 litres of water every day if you can, and start off slow with exercise, even slow walks count towards exercise and build it up

good luck on your journey :heart:
  • Rivah67
    Rivah67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    hi you've come to the right place. its a nice friendly place to lose weight. good luck on your journey. one friends request on its way to you :flowerforyou:
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    I have the same reason as you for curing my health issues. I am 54 years old with a 14 year old son, I could no longer look him in the eye with thinking of the chaos I was bringing to his life and would bring if I continued on my course. I joined this program in January but didn't stay with it. In the meantime, my sister did stay with it and dropped 35 pounds. Seeing her progress inspired me to try again. At first I did great, then I started getting a little lax. Then about 10 of my family members started it and united we are busting butt. We weigh in every Sunday morning and it really helps me focus myself as I want to contribute to the family weight loss total each week. I really recommend you get yourself a support team to keep you accountable and on track.. Also, I found THE Biggest Loser to be a great inspiration.........In my situation, with a young son who depends on me, earning good health is an obligation and giving up is not an option! :brokenheart: :heart:
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    BTW I hope to read another post from you in one year where you already have lost so much weight you can dodge another bullet, Weight Loss Surgery. Another trama you don't want to put your family through.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hey there,i quite a noobie here to,but not to worry,i have only just got my head around loosing weight as of late last year so better late than never than never!!
    i have kids the same age as yours so i know what you meen!
    anyways good luck with it all and if you need any advice please do ask i'm always on daily..
    trudy
  • fattyellis
    Options
    Welcome to MFP....Good luck on your weight loss journey......remember one day at a time :smile:
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Good luck on your journey - you will find no end of support here xxx
  • Linda_10
    Linda_10 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello I just joined this program today.I'm looking for some support myself.
    My whole family is thin,so it's hard to get the real support I need at home.
    I need to lose at least 80lbs.
    I have in mind to just take it one day at a time!
    I can do this!!
  • sanrog
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. This is a great place for support and motivation. I will be 50 next week and also realized I do not want to go into my fifties overweight and unhealthy. This time I can do it and so can you. Best of luck to you and I'm sending you a friend request.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    You CAN do this! I am 52 years old and started my weight loss journey on January 4th. I have lost 44 pounds and am in maintenance mode now. Once I resolved to do this and I faithfully logged my food every meal, I have been eating healthier (fruits, vegetables, lean meats and dairy = eat the perimeter of the grocery store) and working out twice a week. I encourage you to measure your food portions whenever possible. That was probably one of the biggest revelations for me; just how wrong I was about a serving size. I also encourage you to eat 5-6 times a day rather than the typical 3 big meals. You are so right to know that NOW is the time to start and make this happen! Good luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend. My food diary is public anyway.