Is 1600 cals really enough? Please read and advise.

JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys. So I have been making progress but really dont see a huge physical change yet I have dropped 17lbs in 24 days.
The last few days I have noticed my chest getting thinner from a side profile and my stomach as well but not so much the fat more the muscle.

So what I am worried about is that with this weight loss I am burning off is muscle and not fat. I try to take in between 120-160 grams of protein a day and somewhere around the same for carbs and 40-60 grams of fat. I can do that with 1600 cals but I feel that I might be putting my body into starvation mode which I want to avoid at all costs as it is known that once you do that you can really damage your metabolism.

Where does MFP come up with your cals? I am told you cant really come up with this number by height weight and age because everyones metabolism is different.

Last year at LTF I did a cardio point and cal test and they told me my maintain cal was 2900 and my minimum required was 2100 and I am taking in somewhere between 2000-2200 a day with my workout cals included now. What is the deficit amount that MFP takes out? Where can I find it?

Please give me some advice stat.

Replies

• trgobble
    trgobble Posts: 51 Member
    From what people have told me, as long as you stay above 1200, you won't go into starvation mode. I think MFP comes up with your calories based on your height and weight and what weight you WANT. That is then based on you not moving a muscle all day. If you add in your exercise that you do, you always end up eating more than your beginning "goal." I believe you'll be fine.
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Here's a simple way to look at it, weigh yourself once a week at the same time in the same circumstances each week, if you lose 1 to 2 lb your eating enough if you lose more that 2lb up your calories a little. As your body changes adjust accordingly... I find I need to eat around 2500 calories to maintain weight, 2000 I lose, at the moment i'm trying to gain so am eating around 3000.

Everyones different but 1 to 2lb loss per week is ideal for muscle maintenance and fat loss... in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Edit: as long as you are training hard on weights 3 times a week and eating 4-6 meals per day. :)
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Hey, Not a doctor but......
    17lbs in 24 days is dangerous. Food for thought.......:noway:
    1. Your not going to eat like this when you reach your goal,are you? [ GOING TO PUT RIGHT BACK ON]
    2. On a healthy lifestyle plan your body needs at least 50 carbs per meal[food/energy for the body]
    3. If your active and exercise 5 or more times a week and active life may want to look into more calories.

Right now need more info on you to give more advice. Does sound like body is breaking down muscle. Might want to visit a nutricinist for advice and proper eating plan.[free at YMCA,Community centers] Maybe advisable to see your doctor for a referral.

GOOD LUCK,BE CAREFUL:heart:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    17 POUNDS in 24 days sounds like excessive and would concern me (but of course I am not a professional!). IF you have the opportunity to check with a fitness trainer, doctor, nutritionist or dietician, I would recommend you do so before you go much further. Each person's metabolism is different so it is not a cut and dry answer regarding the 1600 calories question you asked. I would be gaining weight if I ate that many calories a day and didn't work out. Try to seek a more professional review of your situation and then you can customize your goals in MFP to reflect what plan you are going to follow.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    maintenance is 2100 the system reduces to 1600 to loose 3500 calories a week to loose 2lbs --if your loosing at such a high rate you could be in starvation mode but takes some doing because i got by on about 800 calories with a goal rate on here of 1200 and i never lost muscle--but we are all different!!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    maintenance is 2100 the system reduces to 1600 to loose 3500 calories a week to loose 2lbs --if your loosing at such a high rate you could be in starvation mode but takes some doing because i got by on about 800 calories with a goal rate on here of 1200 and i never lost muscle--but we are all different!!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Depending on your height/weight 1600 may NOT be enough. I'd say if you lost 17 lbs in 24 days it is NOT enough.

Unfortunately MFP uses 1200 as a minimum for all of us, and if you've been told by doctors to eat minimum 2100, then I'd say go with that. That much weight loss is not healthy and could definitely cause you to regain when you stop losing.

I would change your settings to 1 lb a week from 2 lbs and eat a little more to see how that goes. As far as the muscle losing, it is easier for our bodies to eat away at the muscle then power through the fat stores. Eating extra protein is good but really you should do some exercise as well. This will help grow and redefine your muscles and instead of your body using them as energy, it should switch to fat metabolism.

Hope that helps!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    If your maintain is 2900 calories without exercise factored in, and you've set it to lose 2lbs a week, you should be set at 1900 calories a day, before exercise. With Exercise, that would be about 2500-2600 based on the 600 calories you indicated in the post - be careful that those are accurate and not an estimation.

3500 calories is what is required to lose a lb of fat so over 7 days that's 500 calories and if you want 2 lbs a week, you need a deficit of 1000 calories.

The 17 lbs in 24 days doesn't worry me so much although it is on the high side, it's not uncommon for you to drop 8-10lbs in the first week due to water retention prior to the weight loss efforts. That would mean you're at about 3.5 lbs (if 10 was the first week) a week, which means that you're probably not eating enough calories to lose at a healthy rate.

Depending on your current weight though, it might be possible that you are still losing fat and not muscle or anything else you don't want to. The bigger a person is, the more reasonable it is that 3.5lbs is what you're going to lose at the beginning.

If it's still higher than what you'd like to lose, I'd suggest resetting your goals manually. I believe calorie count is one of the things you can change. The TEE number that they used to determine your daily requirements for calories IS an average for someone your height, weight and activity level. Upping it to 1900 calories a day sounds reasonable, it's only an additional 300 calories (which wouldn't account for another lb a week even). Try it, if you notice your loss slow dramatically, you'll know you need to drop it again. Based on what you have provided, the amount of fat the cardio point tests recommended you lose was 1.5 lbs a week, my gut feeling is that you've told MFP you want to lose 2lbs a week. Did you keep your activity level the same for both data points? Has your body changed dramatically since your cardio point test? Your needs will change over time. Maybe getting the cardio point done again.

My personal guess is that the loss will slow shortly and you'll get into your groove. Manually changing your net calories to 1900 though shouldn't hurt your efforts too much. My husband is 6'4 and 275lbs and gets 1800 a day and is consistently losing 1.5 lbs a week. I don't know your particular stats, but I would change them and see what happens.
  • fitterpam
    Unfortunately MFP uses 1200 as a minimum for all of us, and if you've been told by doctors to eat minimum 2100, then I'd say go with that. That much weight loss is not healthy and could definitely cause you to regain when you stop losing.

Just to clarify, MFP uses 1200 as a minimum that it is willing to recommend, it doesn't mean that's what it recommends for everyone. For this guy, it recommended 1600, for me 1400 and for my husband 1900. It depends on what it finds your TEE number to be everyday and adjust for a 500 a day deficit or a 1000 a day deficit.
  • 2. On a healthy lifestyle plan your body needs at least 50 carbs per meal[food/energy for the body]

I do not agree with this......... I do the Primal lifestyle. 50 carbs per meal in not heathly or safe. Protein and fiber are awesome sources of feeling full and getting energy. I do -20 carbs per meal. Average 60 carbs a day. Read the Primal Blueprint. It's very enlightening.
  • JDMPWR
    Ok last year this time I was at 217 and got a cardio fit an caloric intake test. Here are the exact #'s

217 body weight
    160 mass
    57 fat

2847 maintain
    2100 minimum
    2400 to drop weight....

This was a year ago. I felt the first 10lbs since starting had to be water weight as it came off so fast. So do I just up it to 1900 pre workout calories?

I would like to drop 2-3lbs a week.

Hit me back guys an thanks in advance for the help!!!!!
  • fitterpam
    Based on the #s, going to 2400 would cause you to lose 1lb a week. If you want to drop 2lbs a week (I wouldn't recommend 3, although guys can do it safely :explode: ), you should consume a NET calorie count of 1847. Again, the 1900 sounds reasonable. If you go into the goals section on your home, you can increase it to 1847 (based on the information you have below)

Once you factor in 500-600 calories burned from exercise, you will be eating closer to 2347-2447 in calories daily (because the exercise is offset by the calories. You should probably eat a minimum of 450 of these back for maximum metabolism.

Based on these numbers, you should be safely dropping 2lbs a week.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I don't allow MFP to calculate my calories. I eat 1600 calories a day plus workout and don't eat back what I burn off and I am not in starvation mode. I can't function on 1200 calories also if I increase my calories I gain it took me awhile to figure out my exact formula.

Do what works for you, your gonna get smaller that all comes with losing weight if your worried about the muscle workout your muscles with some strength training, lift heavier weights. Just my suggestion.

the way I look at is 2000 calories is the recommended amount I decrease that by some and I have my # but don't drop it too drastic. I don't micro manage my micros but I shoot for 40/40/20 and just focus on getting in my protein.
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Something I didn't see anyone mention that MAY be of value is HOW you're burning off the calories. When you exercise there is an optimum heart rate for burning FAT calories. Above that heart rate and you're going anaerobic which tears down the muscle and can cost you muscle mass (as I understand it). So do the math... and you can search other threads for this topic:

Subtract your age from 220. That equals X.

Your optimum exercise heart rate for burning fat should be between 65%- 75% of X.

My example: I'm 46.
    220 - 46 = 174.
    65% of 174 = 113
    75% of 174 = 130

So, when I'm working out to burn fat, I aim to keep my heart rate about 120-125 to stay inside that optimum range.

Just a thought... Keep up the great work!
  • JDMPWR
    I do cardio for 45 minutes at 140bpm. I know I should be at 120something but I don't sweat at all and have tried at 130 and saw no weight loss so I bumped it to 140. I have been told you want to train 5-9bpm beyond your max bpm for fat burn.

I just don feel like I burn squat at 120-130 as I did last winter and didn't drop a lb.

So I have changed my diet to 1900 cals at 40/40/20 an will do cardio at between 120-130 and see if I can drop 2-3 lbs a week!

Thanks for all the help and I'll let everyone know how it works out!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Something I didn't see anyone mention that MAY be of value is HOW you're burning off the calories. When you exercise there is an optimum heart rate for burning FAT calories. Above that heart rate and you're going anaerobic which tears down the muscle and can cost you muscle mass (as I understand it). So do the math... and you can search other threads for this topic:

Subtract your age from 220. That equals X.

Your optimum exercise heart rate for burning fat should be between 65%- 75% of X.

My example: I'm 46.
    220 - 46 = 174.
    65% of 174 = 113
    75% of 174 = 130

So, when I'm working out to burn fat, I aim to keep my heart rate about 120-125 to stay inside that optimum range.

Just a thought... Keep up the great work!

This idea is still being taught, often by well-meaning people, but it has been completely disproved in the past 15 years. The fuel that you use during your exercise session has no effect on either weight loss or your overall ability to burn fat. If, by chance, you burn a higher percentage of fat during a workout, your body burns less fat the rest of the day in response. The opposite is also true. Even if there was a real difference, the amount of fat actually burned during exercise--at any intensity--is so small as to be insignificant.

Endurance workouts are an important part of an overall routine. But don't force yourself into a constant routine of low-level exercise under the mistaken impression that it "burns more fat".
  • mrsyac2
    I do cardio for 45 minutes at 140bpm. I know I should be at 120something but I don't sweat at all and have tried at 130 and saw no weight loss so I bumped it to 140. I have been told you want to train 5-9bpm beyond your max bpm for fat burn.

I just don feel like I burn squat at 120-130 as I did last winter and didn't drop a lb.

So I have changed my diet to 1900 cals at 40/40/20 an will do cardio at between 120-130 and see if I can drop 2-3 lbs a week!

Thanks for all the help and I'll let everyone know how it works out!

Also I would stress about the fast weight loss when you make a change to your lifestyle (eating/workouts) your body will respond. My husband always says the easy fat comes off first then that's when it gets hard is beating off the last bit of pounds. I see you do cardio (you really analyze your workouts with your bpm) but do you strength train at all??
  • JDMPWR
    I do 3 hour jujitsu training twice a week, cardio 6-7 days a week and weight training 3-4 times a week.

So I do have strength training/muscle building in my workout 4 sets of each exercise. I start light and do 12 reps, bump up
    The weight and then do 10 reps, next set 8 reps at a higher weight and then my Max weight at 6 reps

I do 3-4 exercises per body part and practice muscle confusion and compound movements. Like do a set of curls 60 second break then go do a set for my tri's.

Do you follow?
  • mrsyac2
    I do 3 hour jujitsu training twice a week, cardio 6-7 days a week and weight training 3-4 times a week.

So I do have strength training/muscle building in my workout 4 sets of each exercise. I start light and do 12 reps, bump up
    The weight and then do 10 reps, next set 8 reps at a higher weight and then my Max weight at 6 reps

I do 3-4 exercises per body part and practice muscle confusion and compound movements. Like do a set of curls 60 second break then go do a set for my tri's.

Do you follow?

So is your concern that your losing weight too fast? You do have a bit of weight to lose so I wouldn't be surprised with dropping 15-20 at first.
  • JDMPWR
    I am somewhat concerned that I am losing to fast but I do know that after the first 10 lbs came off I took 14 days to drop the 7 lbs so in my opinion it might have just been water weight that I was losing. Yesterday I crammed in more protein and got to 1980 cals with a 500 cal burn from the gym. Weight went up like .5 lbs an I feel great this morning!

In gonna try the 1847 pre workout cals this week and push for 200 grams of protein and see how I and the scale feel about it!

I know this will sound crazy to most as well but I would only go to do #2 once maybe twice a day and I can tell you I felt like a baby kitten would have a bigger bowel movement then I was. Today I went right after my morning shake as usual and I can tell you I was pleasantly surprised.
This discussion has been closed.