What to do with a 3 pound zucchini?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Shred and use 1:1 or to taste with potatoes for hash browns. I like to add onions, too.

Use in veggie omelets.

Great in soup - I just add it near the end so it isn't too soggy.

Stuffed zucchini.

Lovely in pasta sauces - or in place of pasta for dishes like not-lasagna.

Marinate and grill or roast.

And when you can't do it anymore, it freezes great. You can slice, dice, or shred it and then just stick it in a freezer bags. My friend loves the potato/zucchini hash browns and he is going to try freezing them already pre-shredded and mixed in portions.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Zucchini lasagna is super yummy.

Makes 1 - 9x13 inch baking dish

2 large zucchini

1 tablespoon salt

1 pound ground beef (I used meatloaf mix)

1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 small green bell pepper, diced

1 onion, diced

1 cup tomato paste

1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce

1/4 cup red wine

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

hot water as needed

1 egg

1 (15 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese ( I used Ricotta cos it's better IMO)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced

8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
    Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a deep 9x13 inch baking pan.
    Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt; set aside to drain in a colander.
    To prepare the meat sauce, cook and stir ground beef and black pepper in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add in green pepper and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, wine, basil, and oregano, adding a small amount of hot water if sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer sauce for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
    Meanwhile, stir egg, ricotta, and parsley together in a bowl until well combined.
    To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of prepared pan. Then layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, all of the spinach, followed by all of the mushrooms, then 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. Spread Parmesan cheese evenly over the top; cover with foil.
    Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; raise oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-noodle-zucchini-lasagna/
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    MINI ZUCCHINI CHEESY BITES

Ingredients
    ◾2 cups grated zucchini ( about 1 medium)
    ◾1 egg
    ◾1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
    ◾optional: 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, salt & pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl mix the zucchini, egg, cheese and cilantro. You do not have to add any salt or pepper since the Parmesan is salty enough . Evenly divide the mixture into the mini muffin pan filling to the top, packed down in each cup. Bake for 15- 18 minutes until golden brown around the edges. 

Nutrition Info

Servings: 12* Calories for one: 27* Fat: 2g* Fiber: 0g* Carbs: 1g* Protein: 2g

The zucchini is grated so only some of the green skin is noticeable. You can opt to leave out the cilantro .These are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. 

Super quick and easy to make. Using a food processor to grate the zucchini, then squeeze out the excess water in a paper towel or clean cloth. Add the rest of the ingredients and pack them into a little mini quiche tin. You can certainly double the recipe if you have more or even make them larger then mini.
  • MsTeaka
    MsTeaka Posts: 6
    Options
    slice it up and make a zuch lasagna :-) I made a whole bunch of lasagna in individual containers and froze....tasted amazing....but because zuch can be watery, the only thin I would do differently is add some bread crumbs --Panko--(into each of the layers) to help absorb some of the moisture from zuch:smile::smile:
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    Make a simple zucchini gratin as a side for dinner, and then put the leftovers in a quiche.

I used this recipe (minus the potatoes and squash) several times this summer when I was overrun with zucchini: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/provencal-summer-squash-and-potato-gratin-recipe/index.html

Those hotdogs tho
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'll get a strike if I tell you what I REALLY think! :bigsmile:

You and me both sister! 15 inches!!!

I'm glad I wasn't the first perv to think it.
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Casserole with hollandaise sauce

1. Grate zuccnini on a cheese grater.
    2. Add salt and let sit 10 minutes.
    3. Press out liquid.
    4. Repeat steps 2 & 3, 2 more times.
    5. Season
    6. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a glass casserole dish.
    7. Press Zucchini into dish and create 6 small indents in the zucchini.
    8. Crack one egg in each indent and put in oven.
    9. Bake until eggs are cooked through.
    10. Serve and top with a lemon hollandaise sauce.

I got this "recipe" from my great grandmother. Seriously delicious.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Lol there is something wrong with me
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i just made zucchinin salsa, its awsome! we had so many zucchinin this year, they got that big if we didnt pick them early enough to had to find a way tto use all the zucchini we had.
  • crowefoot
    crowefoot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Zucchini fritters. Thing potato pancakes, but with zucchini instead. Delicious and much better for you.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Some people have dirty minds.

I always have giant zucchini b/c they will be too small one day and I swear they grow a foot overnight. Dirty minds I know what you are thinking-lol.

I know fried foods are on most people's no-no list but I love me some sliced zucchini dipped in egg, floured and fried. Be sure to salt it too. Shred and freeze any you can't eat and you can make all sorts of things out of it besides z. bread: chocolate zucchini cupcakes, breakfast muffins, fritters to name a few.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am into quick and easy .....so peel it and then cut into 4 inch chunks then cut those in half length ways and half those again put into large baking dish with olive oil coat well then sprinkle with seasonings like garlic power and season salt and some pepper n roast at 400 degrees for about 40 mins! Vola' :bigsmile: