Low Carb & Calorie Counting

Options
2»

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    1. There is no such thing as "detox".
    2. Your body needs carbs. Unless you have a medical reason for cutting down on carbs, don't do it.
    3. Uhm.... Low calories.... just no.

Despite oft-heard claims to the contrary, there is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrate. Even the RDA handbook acknowledges this, right before recommending that a prudent diet should contain a lot of carbohydrates.

To understand why carbs aren’t essential, I need to discuss the concept of an essential nutrient briefly. And, in brief, an essential nutrient is defined as:
    1.Any nutrient that is required for survival.
    2.Can’t be made by the body.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

True story.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    WOW, 9 lbs is a lot for your 1st week.
    the second week seems like a more reasonable expectation.

Mostly I think this LOW-CARB thing is just an overreaction to the LOW-FAT thing.
    When everyone was eliminating fat they replace it with carbs... So now carbs are the enemy...

Now let's see our macros are: CARBS - FAT - PROTEINS
    Now, that means all food fall's into at least 1 of those 3 categories, many foods are a combination of at least 2 of these categories.
    You are going to have a hard time if you severely restrict any category.

Rather than demonizing a whole category of the food I try and keep any eye on the types of Fat, Carbs and Proteins I eat :

Balance-
    1) COMPLEX Carbs (Fiber)
    2) HAPPY Fats (Mono and Poly Unsaturated fats, good for brain and nerve function, helps prevent diabetes and depression)
    3) LEAN Proteins.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    2. Your body needs carbs. Unless you have a medical reason for cutting down on carbs, don't do it.

Despite oft-heard claims to the contrary, there is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrate. Even the RDA handbook acknowledges this, right before recommending that a prudent diet should contain a lot of carbohydrates.

To understand why carbs aren’t essential, I need to discuss the concept of an essential nutrient briefly. And, in brief, an essential nutrient is defined as:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

She mentioned working out. It is commonly held that carbs are required for those who exercise.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

She mentioned working out. It is commonly held that carbs are required for those who exercise.

He talks about that, too, I was just addressing the general need for carbs.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Mostly I think this LOW-CARB thing is just an overreaction to the LOW-FAT thing.
    When everyone was eliminating fat they replace it with carbs... So now carbs are the enemy...
    Not really. True ketogenic diets are full of fat. In fact, in order to properly be in ketosis you must maintain a ratio of 60% fat (and 35% protein, 5% carbs).
    Balance-
    1) COMPLEX Carbs (Fiber)
    2) HAPPY Fats (Mono and Poly Unsaturated fats, good for brain and nerve function, helps prevent diabetes and depression)
    3) LEAN Proteins.

Fiber carbs are encouraged in keto diets. In keto people talk about net carbs all the time. Net carbs are Fiber carbs minus sugar carbs. In keto sugar carbs are what is avoided. Completely agree about the good fats and lean protein, though.
  • ze_hombre
    Options

No, in fact there have been long distance runners who have done marathons while in ketosis. Your body uses glycogen for fuel and there are many ways to make glycogen. Carbs are just the easiest method and the body's preferred mechanism because deep down your body is lazy and looks for the easiest and most efficient mechanism to make fuel. I started and completed C25K while in ketosis.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

No, in fact there have been long distance runners who have done marathons while in ketosis. Your body uses glycogen for fuel and there are many ways to make glycogen. Carbs are just the easiest method and the body's preferred mechanism because deep down your body is lazy and looks for the easiest and most efficient mechanism to make fuel. I started and completed C25K while in ketosis.

That's interesting.
  • SouperDuck
    SouperDuck Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Preach!
    I am almost done with C25K and am in ketosis. Have been for a long time.
    I have crazy amounts of energy.
  • ze_hombre
    Options
    I have crazy amounts of energy.

That was one thing I really liked about the keto diet. When I first went into ketosis I suddenly had tons of energy. I ended up washing and waxing both mine and my wife's cars and still felt I needed to run a marathon. That was one of the reasons I picked up C25K. Bodies are weird.