Birds eye steamfresh frozen veggies?

Options

Replies

• TayzerFun
    TayzerFun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We eat those quite a bit at my house! We usually have the broccoli and green beans. (They do have a good brown rice one, too!) If you visit there website, you can print off coupons. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    One day out of curiosity I looked up the nutritional info for fresh broccoli vs frozen broccoli. Aside from the frozen broccoli listing 0 iron, there was hardly a difference (I have low iron so it's something I wouldn't care about otherwise). I eat fresh when possible but sometimes that isn't convenient so I have lots of frozen on hand. They are perfectly fine and it's better to eat them then not eat any at all.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, when frozen, are blanched and then quickly frozen at their freshness prime. They're often more nutritious than fresh vegetables that you buy in a store that have been early picked and ripened during shipping (with the exception of local farm veggies).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, when frozen, are blanched and then quickly frozen at their freshness prime. They're often more nutritious than fresh vegetables that you buy in a store that have been early picked and ripened during shipping (with the exception of local farm veggies).

^This. Also, budget wise it fits better than fresh because I don't have to worry about the food going bad. Sometimes plans don't always work out (food wise) and I dislike wasting food like that. Plus, I have a hard time digesting many fresh vegetables.
  • nitenichiryu
    Options
    One day out of curiosity I looked up the nutritional info for fresh broccoli vs frozen broccoli. Aside from the frozen broccoli listing 0 iron, there was hardly a difference (I have low iron so it's something I wouldn't care about otherwise). I eat fresh when possible but sometimes that isn't convenient so I have lots of frozen on hand. They are perfectly fine and it's better to eat them then not eat any at all.

Where did you look it up? Frozen actually has more iron content....also, more fiber, more calcium, more zinc...

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2920?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=Broccoli,+raw

vs.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2922?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=broccoli,+frozen
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating lots of the Steamfresh brussels sprouts, my new fav. Fresh veggies do not always have more nutrients than their frozen counterparts, depending on how you cook them. I saw a study a few weeks ago that if you steam or boil the heck out of a veggie (broccoli for instance) until it gets soft, it starts to lose a lot of its original nutrients to whatever water is in the pot. I had to do a double-take on that one...because I do like my fresh broccoli to be on the softer side of cooked! :ohwell:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Im not a big veggie eater lol but is the birds eye frozen veggies good for you? I hear people say when its frozen it loses all nutritional value sooo.. I dont want to eat it if it isnt healthy ya know?

Frozen = processed = unclean

Birds eye steam fresh veg can be cooked in the microwave and are no more unhealthy or unclean as vegetables that are overcooked from fresh?

Vegetables are vitamin soluble so if you cook them from fresh from the ground then you can lose all the nutrients if you overcook them in water.

If you are going to cook veggies then stir fry or eat raw. If not go with steam packs.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

^This. Also, budget wise it fits better than fresh because I don't have to worry about the food going bad. Sometimes plans don't always work out (food wise) and I dislike wasting food like that. Plus, I have a hard time digesting many fresh vegetables.

^All of this.
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Love those, easy to make on a busy night.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

^All of this.

Because it's worth quoting again :wink:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Where did you look it up? Frozen actually has more iron content....also, more fiber, more calcium, more zinc...

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2920?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=Broccoli,+raw

vs.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2922?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=broccoli,+frozen

Looked it up on the actual package? My point was, in case you missed it, frozen veggies are good enough for me.

Eta: spelling
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Eat this ALL. THE. TIME. So easy.
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them! The Southwestern Corn is delicious.

It doesn't have sauce. It's a mix of peppers in with it that makes it "Southwestern".
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with frozen veggies. they are easier on the budget compared to fresh a lot of the time, have all the nutrients.
    i do not buy any of the packaged ones that are in sauce or butter. they are REALLY overwhelming and salty.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    All of my veg comes from the frozen section, save my asparagus. If frozen veg is wrong I don't want to be right.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    frozen peas rock lol, also frozen spinach is quite handy. Don't do a lot of other frozen veg as I enjoy cooking from scratch and tend to try and make time for that
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Im not a big veggie eater lol but is the birds eye frozen veggies good for you? I hear people say when its frozen it loses all nutritional value sooo.. I dont want to eat it if it isnt healthy ya know?

really? REALLY?
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

really? REALLY?

That's what I thought! Lol!

Frozen veggies are great, especially if you're on a budget.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of the fish, chicken and vegetables that I consume are previously frozen. It makes no difference. I really don't even understand why anyone would be concerned about this.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If Birds Eye vegetables were unhealthy, I would be dead already.