Bodybugg/bodymedia users

Options

Replies

• timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Best investment I've made. Anyone who says that the calorie count is way off is doing it wrong. I've been using it for a few months and lost 56 pounds. I know at the end of the day exactly where I stand. I know if I can add to what I am eating or if I need to cut back. There is no guess work in how many calories I burned. It works better than anything else for weight lifting (HRMs are way off when doing that) and I've never had it (as far as I can tell) overestimate my burn since I've lost weight consistently every week.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    how can you be doing it wrong . AS far as the calories burned i burnt 310 calories this AM on the tread mill and my body bug sys i burnt 190 HMMMMM so what one do you believe really . And i have this happen ALL THE TIME
    Best investment I've made. Anyone who says that the calorie count is way off is doing it wrong. I've been using it for a few months and lost 56 pounds. I know at the end of the day exactly where I stand. I know if I can add to what I am eating or if I need to cut back. There is no guess work in how many calories I burned. It works better than anything else for weight lifting (HRMs are way off when doing that) and I've never had it (as far as I can tell) overestimate my burn since I've lost weight consistently every week.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love mine, one of the best things I ever bought. I do find it to be accurate. More so then the calorie counter on machines. But I love numbers and graphs so maybe it's just that I can visualize things better with it.
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump, I would like to do more research on this.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have used a BodyMedia for 3 months now, overall i love it..but it has cons:

Pros:
    I can always try to beat my steps taken,, personal best was just over 14k for the day

You can see your macros easy when linked up to MFP

Once you wear it for a few weeks you hardly feel it anymore

It keeps a charge well, I charge mine nightly but it still has 80% battery left after a full night and day

SLEEP! I never knew how broken my sleep was, now I can try different things to get more restful sleep ( 1 <3 earplugs now)

Instant satisfaction after the gym, the activity chart is motivating to look at after you put in the effort

Cons:
    Cycling .. I do a lot of Mountain Biking and it registers at "moderate activity" ... I can tell you when my heart is slamming out of my chest and my legs feel like they are going to fall off.. it isn't moderate.

Strap - Its ok when you first get it, after a while the Velcro doesn't like to hold as well. I think I may need to get a new on soon...

Cell signal - It wont sync with a poor signal, the app wont even open.

Overall i love it, best money I have spent on myself in a long time.

Hope this helps..
  • cornucopiaoflove
    cornucopiaoflove Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    On the bodymedia website under settings you can change the METs slider which is what translates to moderate/vigorous activity on the app. I found that mine was set so high when I first purchased my band that I never reached vigorous, despite doing Hiit Workouts and knowing that my heart rate was very high.
  • luckylilma818
    luckylilma818 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Most treadmills and exercise machines are prone for over estimating your calorie burn.. Bodybugg is seems way more accurate to me..
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    how can you be doing it wrong . AS far as the calories burned i burnt 310 calories this AM on the tread mill and my body bug sys i burnt 190 HMMMMM so what one do you believe really . And i have this happen ALL THE TIME

I am not sure how you can be doing it wrong, was a broad, sweeping statement. But I can tell you that nothing is 100% accurate but the BodyMedia device is as close as it can get. I have consistently lost weight since using it eating a lot more than I did when I was guessing.

As many say, treadmills and ellipticals and other machines overestimate calories burned. If your treadmill says 310 and your BodyMedia says 190, I'd go with 190. The treadmill used to tell me I burned 1000 calories when I was running, but the BodyMedia told me 700. If I ate that extra 300 every day, I wouldn't be losing weight nearly as fast because my deficit would be 700 instead of 1000 per day.

It's not 100%, but it is as close as you can get right now.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! I found for me that ellipricals overestimated my calories but treadmills underestimated. The first 20 min I would run I was burning about 7-8 calories a min. But by 30 min I was up to 10-12 calories a min. The machine didn't account for that.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia! Before I got it I did not realize how much I burned each day. No wonder I was starving at 1500 calories! The only issue I've had with it is that it does not understand horseback riding. It gave me WAY too much credit for a half hour lesson! :laugh: Now I take it off when I ride and enter it manually later.
  • chrisgriffin042975
    Options
    Does bodymedia really work I burnt 499 calories in a hour just shooting basketball not playing but just shooting from the free throw line doesn't seem right when I can walk a entire hour at 3.2 and I only get around 350.

Something doesn't seem right.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! I found for me that ellipricals overestimated my calories but treadmills underestimated. The first 20 min I would run I was burning about 7-8 calories a min. But by 30 min I was up to 10-12 calories a min. The machine didn't account for that.

I found the same thing. The machines were all wrong, or at least, all different from what the BodyBug said I was actually burning. The treadmill was much higher than it said, and the elliptical was much lower. I don't use it now, but only because I didn't want to pay the monthly subscription fee for the website to download the data anymore.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Love mine. I have had one for a few years now. No issues with the newest model LINK. I had the previous 3 versions as well.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I also agree with it being accurate.
  • zcoqui
    zcoqui Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine! I've had mine since the 4th of Aug and have lost 17lbs so far with it. I wear it constantly! Only take it off for about 30-45 min a day. It makes me much more aware of my movement through out the day! I sync it several times a day so I can see where I am at! I was able to get it on Ebay for much cheaper that directly through the company. Best thing I have purchased on this journey!!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,234 Member
    Options
    I love mine. Although the burns are a touch high for me (been eating at 500 deficit (food weighed & measured) from the BMF for 3+months and maintained), the armband has been invaluable in learning how simply being more active with day to day activities makes a tremendous impact on calories burned. In that respect, I have also learned why I always was so friggin hungry on days I didn't "do" anything (because I didn't "workout"). And the data that is easily available and exportable and so much else is more than worth the cost.

I find recording for biking to be kind of a crapshoot, but that's really my only con.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have one that was given to me. I used it to get a more accurate estimation of calories burned. To be honest, only signed up for the 3 month free trial. I wore it for a little over a month. I now know that on my exercise days I burn about 2600 calories on days I don't workout, I burn about 1900.
  • 317537LJH
    Options
    I recently was looking for a good pedometer and wound up getting a Bodymedia Fit CORE instead. I'd like to find a better band for it as the elastic is already creased and rolls, but other than that I am very pleased.

I am in a pre-surgical weight loss program and knew I was shortchanging myself on my exercise reports. I don't have a car so I run most of my errands on foot. I was not great at documenting that, because I'm busy getting stuff done, not clicking on a stopwatch as I go from place to place!

I also like being able to see how often I am getting up in the night, having disturbed sleep for both health reasons (i am on a diuretic. They can adjust the dosage if I'm getting up to pee too often) and other reasons (Work emergency after 10 pm? How long did that take? Neighbors woke me up? What time was that? etc)

I have had some problems with the integration with myfitnesspal and have had to install/uninstall a few times because information stopped flowing between the two, and I'm not crazy about how exercise gets reported. For example, today BodyMedia says I burned 2693 calories in 1:30 of physical activity, but that shows up on the MFP Exercise page as Cardiovascular: "Bodymedia calorie adjustment" adding 791 calories to my daily calorie allowance. I find that confusing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!