Eating healthy out of a hotel room

Options
Amy8Lyn
Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
Soon I will be faced with the task of living out of a hotel room for 10 days and I am really worried about staying healthy and eating clean while I'm away from home. I have worked really hard to get back to a healthy lufestyle and don't want to throw it out the window!

I assume I will have a coffee pot and a mini fridge, but I don't know if I will have a microwave, if anyone has any helpful tips or if they've been stuck living in a hotel room like me I would love to hear them!

Also, I'll be brining my protein shakes and my shakeo!

Replies

• atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bring lots of healthy snacks instant oatmeal,granola bars, dried fruit, miso soup packets,salads are always available everywhere too
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Assuming you will not have a kitchenette, check the Internet for microwaveable recipes.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Individual tuna cups can be a life saver, they don't need refrigeration. Find a market and pick up some fresh fruit, maybe some rice cakes, even a small jar of peanut butter if your plan allows it. When you eat out make some wise choices, you will survive this.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My job has me staying in hotels every week or so, sometimes twice a week but normally only a day at a time, but even so I know how hard it can be both for food and drink.

Not coming from a position of strength here because the last time I was in a hotel I blew out on food and beer (footy match on as well) and came in at just over 3,000 calories

The thing is I know roughly what the calories were because I chose the closest equivalents I could find on here and logged them

But things may be easier if you are there for 10 days particularly if you talk to them about it. Let them know you are watching calories and they may do what they can to assist you.

Not saying they will weigh everything or even know what the exact calories are in their food but most are willing to work with you

Good luck with this because it is hard sometimes but I am sure you will be ok
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time! Some of mine always have hotel rooms and some of my regular hotels only have them in the rooms I can get upgraded to. For an extended period like 10 days, I would call the hotel now and ask if they have them in the rooms, and if not, do they allow you to put one in the room for an extra charge (doubletree for example would put one in for 10/day at one I stayed at), and barring even that, do they have one available in the common area, etc. Hit a grocery store and stock up on what you're preferring to eat. Depending on the town I'm in, this is easier said then done. I swear, some of my hotels are nowhere near a grocery store and it's annoying as hell! But ask the locals working the front desk, they'll get you to one ;)

If there's a Homewood Suites in the area, I highly recommend staying there for a longer stay like that. Full microwave, large refrigerator, plates and utensils, etc. I love them but sadly none are in my travel area any more!

You can do it -- just keep logging everything, exercise extra if you need to free up some calories for an 'eat out' meal, etc :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I just got back from being out of town and stayed 2 weeks in a hotel. We had a small refrigerator and microwave, that was it. I did single package oatmeal for breakfasts, PB&J sandwiches for lunches and Lean Cuisines and we also did do a rotisserie chicken and rice (minute rice bowl that you just heat in the microwave) for a few nights, for dinners and snacks were fruits, fiber one bars, nuts. May not have been the best healthy food, but it was better than going out to eat for every meal. The hotel did not have a gym, so I walked around the hotel. I lost 4 pounds while I was gone. :happy:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of things you can do that do not have to be heated up.
    Chicken and Ham can make cold sandwiches.... or eaten plain.
    fresh fruits and vegetables are a great snack.
    Does the Hotel do a breakfast buffet in the morning? Some have healthy choices.

I love Special K cereal... with milk. 2 servings give enough Iron for the day.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We took a road trip this summer and to save money ate out of the room. I took a George Foreman grill and cooked chicken breasts, Panini's, tilapia,etc. I had them frozen in individual meal servings and they stayed frozen in the cooler until I took them out the morning we were to cook them for supper. I also had a microwave steamer for veggies and pasta. Even if there isn't a microwave in the room I'm sure there is one in the lobby area. Also, cut up fresh veggies and fruit and keep them in green bags. Those should last awhile. Good luck!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helped me survive when living out of hotel rooms that at least had a fridge was buying a couple of ready-to-eat bags of salad mixes. I would add a pouch of tuna, or surimi, or something I bought from the deli, like pastrami or Roast Beef and other salad ingredients , added some lime/lemon juice or dressing and ate the salad right out of the bag with some rice cakes and some cheese or yogurt for protein. This helped me easily survive for a short while.
    I also always checked, if there was a supermarket or a deli close by to buy food I could eat in my hotel room. I usually bought something I could add to my salad, but stayed away from deli sandwiches and prepared dishes. When all else failed I had cheese, multi grain bread and fruit. At the time I was not overweight, but bought my own food, because I have all my life eaten a more natural diet then what is offered in hotel restaurants..
    I also did go out when I visited L.A. and Miami where I always stayed at the same hotel. In both places I always ate at a Thai restaurant, because typically Thai food is much more healthy and also low cal, because of the absence of starchy sauces.
    It also might help, if you go for those ten days on maintenance, so eating will not be so stressful for you.
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice and suggestions! I feel a little better now knowing so many people have been able to do this! I think lots of bagged salads, fresh fruit and veg will be the best way to go....I'm thinking some eggs as well, yum! I don't have this idea that i'll have to eat exactly as I would have at home, but I know having healthier food throughout the day will help me make better choices. Especially when my coworkers want to hit up the local chain restaurant! ????????????
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to rice crackers, crisp bread is great. Especially if you can keep stuff like soft cheese, cottage cheese (or ham etc if you eat meat) in the mini fridge. Also, yogurts and muesli/oats are good for breakfast/snacks (you can pour them right into the yogurt pot!) and lots of apples and bananas.

Bring a cereal bowl, you can eat pretty much everything out of a bowl :D
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My default travel meals are:

Hotel breakfast. Oatmeal + whey. Scoop of eggs - 500 cals
    Lunch: Fajita meat, corn tortillas and condiments. - 800 cals
    Dinner - smoked half chicken - 700-800 cals.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot and always in hotels.

It's much easier for me to eat healthy when I eat at restaurants :)))))

My usual breakfast: 2 eggs omelet and salad. Or boiled egg and fruit salad. Or cheese and fruits. And coffee with skin milk. Orange juice.
    Lunch: protein and vegetables, like salmon and salad, or turkey and grilled mushrooms with eggplants and tomato, or something lie that. Wine.
    Dinner: fruit salad or veggies salad.