Options
    My thighs are sliming with running!
    It's just sweat.

2332-1271525302.jpg
  • lydstil
    lydstil Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't see the allure of a thigh gap.
    Ain't nothing wrong with thick thighs and a fat booty, homie.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    never have I heard a man mention thigh gap
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole thing about thigh gaps. Congrats on your bone structure?
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I guess I have the bone structure to have a "thigh gap", since I had one when I was running distance. I've also always had clavicles that protrude, even when I was much heavier. However, I very much prefer the shape of my legs (and body) with the muscle I've achieved over the last year, even though I'm 10 pounds heavier. No more thigh gap Lol
    Also, Band-Aid makes a great little stick that helps a lot if you're having chaffing issues with your legs rubbing together during exercise.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will ever get this one.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Want one? Ready...put your feet together, keep your legs straight and bend over. It will achieve the desired results, have someone take your picture from behind, slightly below waist height with as little clothing on as possible. I'm sure there's any number of skeezy dudes on MFP willing to help with that.

Honestly, most "thigh gaps" are a lie. That is how they do those pictures. Either that or these woman (the ones who don't look like they've been in Auschwitz) have very broad hips and are probably at the low end of the "healthy" range of their BMI.

It's not an attainable goal for a LARGE MAJORITY and should not be a fitness goal.

That being said, as you thighs get smaller they will exert less force against each other when you run or jog or walk. You hip width is "static" so as your thighs become smaller they/your hips will create less torque. You'll probably find you have less hip discomfort after a long run/walk/jog, as well.

Until then, places like 'Runner's World' and really any major sports shop can sell you a product called "slick stick"--which is great for skirts and shorts--when it's bare thighs rubbing. Jeans...might I recommend buying cheap for now...Goodwill anyone?!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion only... I hate 'em, would never want one, I don't have one now and have no problem rubbing. On some women it makes them look a bit bow-legged.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I have one and I'm almost 50 years old, my SO says he thinks it's hot. No one else would ever know I had one, it's not often I stand with my knees together so that you'd notice "OMG her thighs don't touch".

No credit to me, just the genetic lottery that gave me my father's lean legs.

My mother used to tell me that a woman's legs should touch in three places: the knees, the calves and the ankles. I guess she thought thigh gaps were desirable too (and her notions of female sexiness date from the 50's). My calves don't touch so I fail that test.

No, it's not something to strive for. Aim for optimum physical health and wellbeing, not some meaningless benchmark.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    no concerned about the thigh gap. I'm just happy to have them not rub together anymore. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never had the whole thighs rubbing together problem, but I hear people complaining about it all the time. My thighs don't quite touch together when standing normally, but I wouldn't say there's really much of a gap, either. I've always had fairly "toned"-looking, shapely hips and legs, even during long periods of inactivity over the course of my life. I guess it's genetics. I think a woman's thighs can look sexy either way. Not sure why there's so much hate and jealousy over it...

Anyway, I doubt many guys care about it. It just seems like some made up drama for women to get themselves all worked up over. I never even heard of it until I started MFP. :tongue:
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I don't think this will be a reachable goal for myself because I don't ever plan to getting this small. But I think for the most part it looks good. Also it would be nice if my legs didn't rub together when I wore dresses and I totally agree about the pants thing... I hate it!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I feel much better about my body after reading this thread. I wasn't aware that a 'thigh gap' had to do with bone structure. Now if only that were true for this tricep sag...:ohwell:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I should have added this to my list of ridiculous threads.....

The only person I know with a gap between her thighs is my 6 year old girl and my neighbour three doors down who sits like a man

How is this ridiculous? It's bone structure. Comparing a grown woman to a 6 year old girl is uncalled for. Getting so very tired of the body shaming. Everyone has a shape. None of those shapes are wrong. I'm 5'4" and 125 pounds. I'm far from being too skinny, but I have a gap. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with me.

I agree with this. People should just accept each other for the way they are. Double standards bother me. Body shaming is not nice in either direction.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The only person I know with a gap between her thighs is my 6 year old girl and my neighbour three doors down who sits like a man

You don't know very many people, I take it.
  • YouMadBro8281
    Options
    3 pages and not even one decent picture of a thigh gap.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    So over the past years, I've noticed this obsession with thigh gaps. What are your opinions on them?

Many people are trying to achieve them, some easier than others. But do you think it looks attractive? Or do you think a more of a fuller leg looks nice?

I would like a thigh gap, simply because when I wear anything my upper thighs rub together, and this can irritate the skin there. A lot of my jeans also develop holes there from all the crazy rubbing and it's annoying to buy jeans every few months.

It's very frustrating! -.-

Should people be aiming for these things tho? Not that I want a huge gap, I just don't want my legs constantly rubbing together. On some girls it almost reminds me of anorexia.

Do not want. I like my meaty thighs.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    3 pages and not even one decent picture of a thigh gap.

Thank goodness for that!
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd love one but despite having large hips, my knees are slightly knocked

but i rock a pencil skirt

Thinking more for hot days so i dont have to wear shorts to stop rubbing. purely practical.

Having hips means you have some curves which is sexier then a thigh gap IMO

^^^ This
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have a huge one. You can see it in my profile picture...

Wait. That's what you mean right???

I actually do have one. I have mile long skinny legs and widish hips. Despite deadlifting sumo for years and building kick *kitten* adductors I still have a gap. It's an odd goal to have.