Running, I have a bear problem!

Options

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I HAVE to come to the US sometimes just to see these things! Better start saving.

My main issues on my runs are idiots with dogs on leads who don't rein them in when you're trying to pass and you end up having to jump over them!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have that issue when I run at my parents house. Last month I saw a bear, a wolf and coyotes on my run. Tons of deer and bunnies and other little creatures that are nice to see too.

I'm more afraid of moose than bears though. I surprised a moose once on a run and it charged me. Bears usually run away from me but moose are just plain mean.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The bears have lots of trash to eat, they wont bother you. If you are really worried, get a can of bear spray. It's extremely effective.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I heard just last night that this was a very active time of year for bears, as they are looking for food in preparation for hibernation. You might want to use that track for a month or 2.
    Yes, I saw something similar here just this morning. I didn't even know there were bears anywhere near where I lived, I thought they were all NW of me in the state (the only reason we have bears at all anymore is because they were 'reintroduced' by some bright souls - so now I guess I have to think about that)

The clip also said that mama bears are letting their little cubs go figure things out so they range further than normal.

I have no idea if this picture will work:
    and 7w4o
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    We have this problem also. I live in a rural town that's named for bears for heavens sake! I own a treadmill so do most of my workouts there. I would suggest that or some bear spray for your runs. They will probably just take off when they see you coming but I wouldn't want to chance it either.

Just 2 weeks ago my husband and I took our baby girl for a walk up a back road behind our house. When we returned home our neighbor asked if we had seen the bear on our walk because she had just seen it walk in the direction we had come from not 5 minutes before. We had not seen it but it's scared me because we had the baby with us.

We've also had our garbage torn up so we put it out in the mornings anymore and put ammonia soaked rags on top or it. Some people told us to call game control and complain of a nuisance bear but I don't think it's fair that a bear be re-located because our home is in the woods. At the same time, though, If I felt threatened by a bear I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it if I had the chance. I guess I'm wishy washy that way....
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Take someone running with you that you don't particularly care for.. Think annoying.

Then all you have to do if a bear charges you 2 is outrun him.

2 Problems solved.

You're welcome...
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cover yourself in meat juice with a turkey baster. Give yourself a real running challenge.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You can buy little bells that go on your shoe laces, annoying as can be but the bears can hear you coming a mile away and are usually long gone (I'm not sure how effective they are on bears that have become habituated to people and more accustomed to background noise).

I've seen evidence of bear where I run(never see the bears, just their paw prints). The black bears around here are pretty docile (and well fed) but I still wouldn't want to get between a mother and her cubs.

There's an item called a bear banger (ok everyone, get your minds out of the gutter) that sound like a gun shot and is pretty effective at scaring bears etc away.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There is a real simple solution.

Run with someone slower than you.

You're welcome.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    There is a real simple solution.

Run with someone slower than you.

You're welcome.
    And you win for most comical....nice job!!! Lol, that was great:)
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There was just a 12 year old girl in my area who was attacked by a bear while on a run. She said she tried to run faster and it chased her, knocked her down. Then she actually tried to be really still and pet it and it just made it mad.... she had to scream for help, and someone thankfully heard her.

So this really can be a dangerous situation. Bear spray is a good idea.... or I hate to say it, I would run indoors or in a more open and populated area.

Good luck!
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That is scary lesliev523!!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Find a friend to run with who is slower than you, and who you don't like so much . . .

ETA: I gotten beaten to it. :sad:
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    lol :laugh:
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    @ImsoOtired we have to do the ammonia thing with the trash too!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to come to the US sometimes just to see these things! Better start saving.

I assumed the OP was in Canada! Mainly because every person named Maureen that I've ever known has been Canadian :p And you know, because BEARS.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if they look like this, they're harmless. they just want your picnic basket.

arts-graphics-2007_1182571a.jpg
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    Nope. I am in NY
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    They do NOT look like that, for sure!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    On one of my routes, I have to keep a look out for bears as well. On the other, it's a flock of turkeys...and these are some shifty eyed turkeys, so I don't know which to fear more. Fortunately I live in an open carry state. Good luck!