DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Only one option:
    Smith-Wesson-bear-gun-courtesy-survivaldigest.com_.jpg

S&W 500 FTW
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    they do attack and its on the rise its been on the news lately that you should have some kind of spray...I would def go to the track or find some place indoors until they hibernate ...cant run if your hurt
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    They do NOT look like that, for sure!!! :laugh: :laugh:

are you sure? on casual fridays, they don't wear their ties.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Very true! That is what I am thinking too!
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    They do NOT look like that, for sure!!! :laugh: :laugh:

are you sure? on casual fridays, they don't wear their ties.

Yogi is too classy a bear for casual Fridays. He's not your average bear.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Take someone running with you that you don't particularly care for.. Think annoying.

Then all you have to do if a bear charges you 2 is outrun him.

2 Problems solved.

You're welcome...

You beat me to this response lol!
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I only have to worry about wolves and cougars and really they shouldn't be a problem. In the winter I carry bear spray anyway just because it makes me feel better to do so. Bears? I'd move. That's probably not practical though I suppose. :smile:

bear_zps16994732.jpg
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    12 gauge. Slug cartridge.

End of problem.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to come to the US sometimes just to see these things! Better start saving.

I assumed the OP was in Canada! Mainly because every person named Maureen that I've ever known has been Canadian :p And you know, because BEARS.

I'm an American Maureen!

ETA....but my grandmother was Canadian and she was influential in picking my name....you might be on to something here.
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    Me too!!! :happy:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    ... practice the fetal position and cry.

Won't do any good with black bears--only grizzlies. Grizzlies only kill humans and they are faked out, if you play dead. Black bears will eat humans, if they are hungry. But, if you have had good rains this summer, their natural foods should be abundant. Around here, the wild blueberries and raspberries are super thick this year. The black bears are getting so roly-poly, feasting on them, that they would be too lazy to go after a person (I doubt that we taste as good as blueberries and raspberries). On a more serious note, the black bears should be heading for hibernation in another month--why not take up cycling during active bear season (spring and late summer)? Bicycling is probably a bit safer. My son-in-law was chased by a bear while riding his mountain bike a few summers ago--fortunately, the bear couldn't keep up. But NEVER run from a bear--they can run faster than you can--guaranteed. Black bears are usually frightened by loud noises. Air horns are very effective. They are pretty timid creatures over all. And if all else fails, bear spray will typically send them running.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Put a fresh salmon in your back pocket and if you see a bear, let them have the salmon.

Bad idea--they will polish off the salmon and then come after you to see if you have more. Also running with a dog is a bad idea as the dogs antagonize the bear, and then come running back to you when the bear comes after them.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I have that issue when I run at my parents house. Last month I saw a bear, a wolf and coyotes on my run. Tons of deer and bunnies and other little creatures that are nice to see too.

I'm more afraid of moose than bears though. I surprised a moose once on a run and it charged me. Bears usually run away from me but moose are just plain mean.

Yeah--one good kick from a moose and you're done. Bears typically won't tangle with a moose--that's how formidable a mad moose is. Fortunately, most of them are fairly docile. The biggest danger from a moose is to run into one crossing the road. The front end of the car shears off the legs and then the torso comes crashing down through the passenger compartment. Very dangerous. Doesn't happen very often though.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Put a fresh salmon in your back pocket and if you see a bear, let them have the salmon.

Bad idea--they will polish off the salmon and then come after you to see if you have more. Also running with a dog is a bad idea as the dogs antagonize the bear, and then come running back to you when the bear comes after them.

Srsly.

Next someone is going to suggest swimming in chum to distract sharks.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    HMMMM.....I have more issues with deer then bear. They come out and greet me by the roadside when I run in the morning just before sunrise. Sometimes their in herds of 15 or more. I have had them walk down the other side of the road while I ran by on the other side.. I have some of them snort at me and even charge at me. This morning I could have reached out and pet to does at different locations. I sometimes make noises at them and they don't move. They have lost fear of humans.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Many great suggestions for you here: spray, HS track, horns, bells, gun, run faster.

Best of luck finding the solution that works out for you :flowerforyou:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    On one of my routes, I have to keep a look out for bears as well. On the other, it's a flock of turkeys...and these are some shifty eyed turkeys, so I don't know which to fear more. Fortunately I live in an open carry state. Good luck!
    Be thankful they aren't geese. Geese are mean.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Srsly.

Next someone is going to suggest swimming in chum to distract sharks.

Of course you swim in chum...how else do you attract the sharks??

Do you even Shark Week????????