Burning in Chest When Running

Krissy_K89
Krissy_K89 Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm a beginner runner and just signed up for my first 5k next month. I was so determined to train since I've never really been able to run but this darn burning in my chest is making it impossible to even complete a mile. I am forced to stop because it burns so bad. My family keeps telling me it's because I'm out of shape but it isn't really possible for me to "push through" the pain. I was trying to run a mile every other day and each day the burning seemed like it was worth than the previous. It is literally to the point where I am just walking now because I feel like I'm not capable of running. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? I'm feeling so defeated about the 5k I signed up for... I have an appointment with the doctor on Wednesday, but honestly I'm pretty nervous to ask him because maybe my family is right and I'm just really out of shape. It's just that as long as I can remember I would have this burning sensation when I tried to run...

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Burning could be some kind of indigestion. It could also be that you're going too fast for your ability. Part of running is finding the pace that works for you.

Are you following a training program, like a C25K? I recommend using one as they do a good job at building up your endurance to run a full 5K.

Don't be hard on yourself. Just address the burning by going to the doctor, then build up your endurance. You will be amazed at how quickly your endurance improves as you keep running/walking.

My first official 5K, my partner and I didn't run the whole time. We did on the second one. It's finishing that counts the most.:smile:
  • rben1e
    rben1e Posts: 11
    I'm not a doctor, but I used to be a distance runner. You should definitely check with your doctor, not because burning is unusual, but because it's a good idea when starting a new exercise regimen. My guess is that you're simply out-of-shape. While the cardio-vascular system can build up quickly, there are limits.

I would suggest the following, if your doctor agrees. Walk three days a week at a comfortable pace. On three of the odd days, sprint until you feel tired, then walk until your pulse is below 90, rinse repeat. This will wear you out fast, but it's the fastest way I know to build cardio capability. You'll feel like a wet noodle after you've done a dozen or so sprints. Don't push yourself too hard, you're in this for the long haul, you want to avoid injuries. On the seventh day, rest. Make sure you get plenty of protein. Your body needs it to build new muscle.

When my wife started running, at about your age, she had similar problems. She dialed it way back and gradually got stronger. She also found that taking BCAA's (Branch Chained Amino Acids - what protein is made of) helped her recover quickly.

Also, make sure you have good shoes.

Good Luck,
    Ray
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    I think I know the burning you're talking about. I used to get it when I was in REALLY bad shape. Have you done any type of exercise recently or is this new to you? I know when I used to get the burning I would cough for the rest of the day like I had crap in my lungs/throat. It did eventually go away. My sister has exercise asthma so she has to use an inhaler... so it's probably good to get checked out just to make sure though! Good luck with your training!
  • Krissy_K89
    Thanks! I did do a C25K program but could only make it to like the third week and couldn't ever get past it because of the burning sensation. I just kept doing week three over and over again until I gave up. Anything over that was just too much. It's so frustrating because my body doesn't feel "wore out" I just can't breathe right. I gave up for a week but am going to go for a nice run/walk tonight. The weirdest part is that I can do the elliptical/arc trainer without any problems at decent speeds.
  • Krissy_K89
    Yesss!! I do that coughing and clearing of my throat FOREVER afterwards! I have been doing the arc trainer and elliptical at the gym and before that did Zumba regularly which is nice cardio. I guess the sad truth is that this is a real wake up call to just how out of shape I am.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Walk for now. Talk to your doctor about it. There's no shame in it, better to rule out any dangerous problems.

You can totally walk the 5k if you need to. Lots of people do it at every race, and it's still a great accomplishment!
  • kmgt
    kmgt Posts: 24
    I get it too and I want to run SO bad. I just can't. I'm assuming it's because I'm SO out of shape. I'm 5'1" and 260lbs. The thing is, I can do so many other exercises. I can take 1 hour zumba classes. I can do 1 hour step classes. But I can't run 1 minute (literally, I'm proud of 45 seconds) without my lungs feeling like they are going to explode or burst into flames or something.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Sounds like breathing/lung capacity. Glad you're going to a doctor to rule out respiratory issues.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    I am not in bad shape (intense exercise 6 days a week) but I had the same issue when I started running. I think running just requires a bigger lung capacity than other exercise. For me, it went away quickly, but I would say get checked out by the doctor to be safe, then just build up to it gradually.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Build up gradually. If you want to run a 5K, you should be able to walk a 5K easily. Listen to your body. Rule of thumb is don't add more than 10% distance per week.
  • As someone who survived Pagets Shroder Syndrome aka Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, which for me was 2 blood clots in the subclavien vein of my right arm; my first instinct is to think there's something constricting your breathing, but I hope it's nothing that serious. My secondary thought is that running (which I can't/won't do) requires some truly deep, concentrated, continuous breathing so maybe your opening up your lungs, even more than w/ aerobics (zumba) & really working those upper respiratory muscles. That's just my 2 cents but above all else get to the doctor STAT!

Peace, Joy & (in a dream world) Calorie-Free Cupcakes ~Tea
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Run slower you should be able to hold a conversation. Even if it feels too slow. Speed will come in time
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Whenever I don't run for a long time. The initial run, my chest will always hurt/be tight etc. I just run it off, I just take it as my heart getting off his lazy *kitten* and working.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Run slower you should be able to hold a conversation. Even if it feels too slow. Speed will come in time

This. Once I slowed down things got better. Get an HRM & yes, talk to your Dr.
This discussion has been closed.