Soy in products (vent)

Options
ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
Ugh! So sick of so many products having soy in them. Soy lecithin, soy protein, soy isolate, soybeans, soy soy soy!!

Products touting themselves as healthy shouldn't have soy in it, especially the soy that is so overprocessed in American (unlike in other countries) that it actually can interfere with your thyroid.

Stupid soy. My barely function thyroid hates you.

/rant

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Soy and other items that interfere with synthetic thyroid absorption such as fiber, iron and calcium, are OK as long as you wait up to 4 hours to eat those items or take those supplements after taking your meds. I've been doing it for a while and my T4 count has remained at top levels despite iron/calcium supplements and a diet that includes soy and high fiber on a daily basis.
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    No, people who are hypothyroid should avoid soy products all together. Has nothing to do with your meds, but with your actual thyroid.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Is soy bad for people who don't have a thyroid problem? Because I always hear stuff like 'soy is badddd' but have no idea why...
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    like this post! seriously plus its really hard to find a NON GMO soy product!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Unfermented soy products have been shown to be problematic in laboratory studies.

Here's an article about it. It's a technical slog written by a doctor, but the information is backed by science. I was at my worst health when I was a vegetarian and eating soy products on a weekly basis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/soy-health_b_1822466.html
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Soy is my primary source of protein, but thanks for telling me that my morals are unhealthy.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    like this post! seriously plus its really hard to find a NON GMO soy product!

Gardein and Morning Star Farms use non GMO soy.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Unfermented soy products have been shown to be problematic in laboratory studies.

Here's an article about it. It's a technical slog written by a doctor, but the information is backed by science. I was at my worst health when I was a vegetarian and eating soy products on a weekly basis.

Good thing I love technical jargon! Thanks for the link, it was a good read! I tried soy milk once but couldn't stomach it, but I've been considering almond instead to take with my protein powder.
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    Soy is my primary source of protein, but thanks for telling me that my morals are unhealthy.

Apparently you missed the part about my thyroid not working. Or the part where I didn't say anything about your morals *roll eyes*
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I tried soy milk once but couldn't stomach it, but I've been considering almond instead to take with my protein powder.

Almond milk is awesome! Sweetened is delicious but it's too much sugar for me, so I use unsweetened and add a little stevia to it when I want it sweeter. :drinker:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I also have thyroid problems. Thank gosh for Quorn products!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Ugh! So sick of so many products having soy in them. Soy lecithin, soy protein, soy isolate, soybeans, soy soy soy!!...

Avoid most processed foods and you will avoid soy entirely. I have sensitivies to a few things so I have to cook most of my food from scratch. It's not convenient but it's worth it to me to be healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • jayjay12345654321
    Options
    No, people who are hypothyroid should avoid soy products all together. Has nothing to do with your meds, but with your actual thyroid.

You should read up on that. I am hypothyroid. That's why I take meds. I eat what my doc laid out for me on the diet suggestions after he diagnosed me. That includes fermented soy being OK as long as I wait to eat it after the meds have been absorbed. Processed soy is made from GMOs and is to be avoided anyway, like the young lady above mentioned. The examples you listed are all processed. Check the Mayo Clinic web page. It has some good articles. Or talk to your doctor again.

The only thing my doctor said MAY benefit me to avoid is gluten since it causes some people to develop antibodies that confuse gluten and thyroid and initiate an auto-immune effect attacking the thyroid. By avoiding gluten, I avoid most processed foods; and thereby, don't encounter processed soy, either.

Nasoya and Simple Truth Organic are good non-GMO brands to look in to.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Unfermented raw soy can be problematic, but cooking it does the same thing as fermenting it.

Nothing wrong with soy, just don't eat it raw. Which is a common sense reminder that applies to a lot of foods.

I actually prefer soy milk to almond milk, as soy milk has much more protein. Really, the healthy part of the almond is the fat, which most almond milks don't have.
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    I have spoke to my doctor (actually quite a few of them as I am military and move around) about this same issue, as well as an RD and as well as reading enough about it in my RD courses to know I don't want it in my body.

You should read up on that. I am hypothyroid. That's why I take meds. I eat what my doc laid out for me on the diet suggestions after he diagnosed me. That includes fermented soy being OK as long as I wait to eat it after the meds have been absorbed. Processed soy is made from GMOs and is to be avoided anyway, like the young lady above mentioned. The examples you listed are all processed. Check the Mayo Clinic web page. It has some good articles. Or talk to your doctor again.

The only thing my doctor said MAY benefit me to avoid is gluten since it causes some people to develop antibodies that confuse gluten and thyroid and initiate an auto-immune effect attacking the thyroid. By avoiding gluten, I avoid most processed foods; and thereby, don't encounter processed soy, either.

Nasoya and Simple Truth Organic are good non-GMO brands to look in to.
  • jayjay12345654321
    Options
    I have spoke to my doctor (actually quite a few of them as I am military and move around) about this same issue, as well as an RD and as well as reading enough about it in my RD courses to know I don't want it in my body.

OK. Then don't eat processed foods. Problem solved.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Fermented soy is alright - no clue if it's okay for people with thyroid problems, but for those who have a healthy thyroid it should be fine...
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Seriously! Why in the world is soy even in most american brands of canned tuna? In vitamins? It's very annoying.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Because it's cheap and makes a good filler as far as most food manufacturing companies are concerned.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ugh! So sick of so many products having soy in them. Soy lecithin, soy protein, soy isolate, soybeans, soy soy soy!!

Products touting themselves as healthy shouldn't have soy in it, especially the soy that is so overprocessed in American (unlike in other countries) that it actually can interfere with your thyroid.

Stupid soy. My barely function thyroid hates you.

/rant
    Some people are allergic to say (I think it is because the seed had a "self-defense" mechanism to protect itself?)

But for those people, many good vegan alternatives exist to obtain plenty of well-balanced protein.

You can:

#1 - do your research to see which foods are high risk (I have read that regular old processed supermarket milk is a huge cancer risk -much worse than raw milk, but the latter, raw milk from cows that have not been treated with hormones, etc., is not easily available anymore) - Don't take my word on what"s healthy or not - do your own research.

#2 - for those allergic to soy, many vegan alternatives exist: And plenty taste great! :smile: