Ben Affleck is Batman

Options

Replies

• Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Of course this could be bad and not just a little bad but really bad, but I have a few points I am bringing up to myself so I can sleep at night knowing Ben Affleck is Batman. I'll start with the potential problems first and because there are so many potential cons I will hold back some.

Problem 1 Daredevil, like above posters have put. Did they see daredevil?

Problem 2 Past Character acting issues, you have people that are in everything but you never notice them (Is that Gary Oldman?), and than you have actors who play characters that are just slight changes of who they are. Harrison Ford's cop role in Hollywood Homicide sure looks like a slightly less active Hon Solo in modern day L.A.. Which is fine in certain roles. I enjoyed an old Hon Solo framed for murder being chased by Tommy Lee Jones. Just not a Harrison Ford as the Green Lantern (sad I can't decide if I would like the green lantern a little better now if Indiana Jones was cast instead of Ryan Reynolds) Affleck has shown on many occasions he does not blend into the characters well. If his only reference is one the script than he tends to try and make the character a reflection of him. He tries to relate the character to himself and not himself to the character. If you don't read daredevil all the time, it is hard to pinpoint his true personality. And if you leave Affleck to find one for himself, he defaults to himself.

Problem 3 Huge shoes to fill. Bale's batman has been one of the most popular batman choices in years. To live up to filling that hole would be near impossible. It would be like if Ben Affleck got the role as the 11th doctor after David Tenant. Even if he maybe could do a decent job anything bad will be amplified and torn apart in comparison to the previous.

Now what I tell myself to not get pissed off about Ben Affleck about it because I don't like to be mad over stuff like this. George Clooney as batman had zero effect on my ten years in retrospect and neither will this.

Possible silver linings are
    even though he has had issues with daredevil. Batmans personality is fleshed out already. Ben Affleck doesnt have to figure that out yet. When he has a base point he does alright. In Argo he based it on a real person. He did fine, in good will hunting he based it on people he knew growing up. He did fine. Everytime he is told or knows the character before being cast in the role he does great. Also he has plenty of bad batman performances to base on what not to do. He knows how hard it was for George Clooney to live down batman, he also knows personally how hard it is to live down to a bad performance of a super hero with dare devil. If Christain Bale hadn't done a good job he might not of seen how a good performance of batman could have the opposite effect. He is trying to be taken serious by Hollywood. With Argo he is rebuilding his clout in hollywood. Maybe that fact will make him dive deeper in a role than he every has. Maybe he will hire acting coaches and spend hours fleshing out character reactions with the director. Maybe just maybe he will have the role of his life.
    And he looks the part. He looks he could be Bruce Wayne. He just needs to prove he can act like him too

It could be alright after all. Of course it could be a disaster. finger crossed
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    http://www.avitable.com/2013/08/23/in-defense-of-ben-affleck-as-batman/

Pretty valid points I think... But still not feeling the whole Batfleck
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    http://www.avitable.com/2013/08/23/in-defense-of-ben-affleck-as-batman/

Pretty valid points I think... But still not feeling the whole Batfleck

There you go more reasons I guess not to freak out
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    SHOULD HAVE BEEN JENSEN ACKLES.
    deanwinchesterinfobox.jpg
    tumblr_lxrugmowoY1qk3fifo1_500.gif
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed that Christian Bale won't be coming back but I have to admit that I have a pretty big crush on Ben Affleck :P
  • bikiniaday
    Options
    Ewwwe way too whiney!!! Should have been Hugh Jackman!!
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    Ewwwe way too whiney!!! Should have been Hugh Jackman!!

Totally cannot see Hugh playing Batman...
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Karl Urban would have been a great batman.

Anyone see DREDD?
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Darn! Didn't work!
  • itsjustdawn
    Options

Anyone see DREDD?

Haven't seen Dredd yet, but I love Karl Urban. YUM! I could maybe see him as Batman.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Dwayne Johnson. May as well, because he's always on at the cinema anyway, and he's kinda old and definitely big enough.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    My vote is for Dwayne Johnson. May as well, because he's always on at the cinema anyway, and he's kinda old and definitely big enough.

I actually think that would be worse than Ben... LOL
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I actually think that would be worse than Ben... LOL
    DJ for Robin, then.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm not mad at Christian Bale not doing it, because everytime a "Batman" movie/series is made, something tragic usually happens, and in Christian Bale's case it was Heath Ledger committing suicide which was like one of his best friends, but Ben Affleck? C'mon no!!! Plus he was already Daredevil that just doesn't work....blugh
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    just put jon hamm on the same roids cavill was on. or get josh brolin.

but please don't make me relive that daredevil-nightmare warner bros.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Anyone see DREDD?

Hell yeah! Karl Urban should have been Batman. He can talk in a deep voice and still be understood. That's way better than the Christian Bale Batman. The Christian Bale Batman just grunts in incomprehensible tones: "RRGHHH, WHAIR IZ GROKER".
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    I don't know how to feel ;--;
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Affleck is George Clooney all over again. With Bale they had re-energized the franchise, while it was over they left plenty of ways to build off of it, but instead they sold out and DC is going to regret this move. They had two cornerstones to build the justice league off of, but instead they are going to chase off their fan base, setting them back to the drawing board again.

Totally!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Why so many "haters" out there! It is not about Batman... is is all about Bruce Wayne and Ben Affleck will make a great Bruce Wayne. Come on guys Jack Nicholson, as the Joker, said it all when he said "its all about the toys... where does he get those toys"! I personally think Ben will make a great Bruce Wayne...
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    itsjustdawn and gabriel80 make (or link to) good points.

I mainly groan because I wish the next Superman movie wasn't going to drag Batman out of the recycling bin so fast. And I was hoping to see them make good use of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who I think has proven his ability to pull off a superhero.

I'm also bummed because I would have liked to have seen Christian Bale and Henry Cavill together if they just HAD to do this. And I'm trying to imagine the chemistry between Cavill and Affleck.

But I don't hate Affleck, for a lot of the reasons described. I thought he was excellent in Hollywoodland and Argo, and he's a hardworking SOB who loves comics and will do whatever it takes, just like Cavill. It takes a lot of good ingredients and careful proportions to make a movie work, but Snyder might just know what he's doing. (I pray constantly that he doesn't derail this franchise because he's got a perfect Superman and it would be a crying shame to screw that up).

It won't come out till 2015 so it might be easier to see it with fresh eyes and not be placing expectations of CB on it.