Help with an Exercise Routine?

Options
I was wondering if someone can help me out. I do a lot of cardio, I run, I do fitness dvds and such but I have read about a lot of people lifting weights to get lean and build muscle. I am pretty terrified I will lose the weight through cardio but still not be toned enough for my liking.

Can anyone recommend a workout that will help me that I can incorporate into my workout routine?

Replies

• sangan22
    Options
    is this something you will do at home, in a gym, with friends or on your own?
    :)
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can Google Stronglifts or strength training.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You are miles ahead of most people trying to lose fat by realizing that even if you do lose the fat you "might" not be pleased with what you end up with without having at least some muscle tone. Anyone can get skinny but if you have some muscle definition when your skinny you will be much happier with the results. I would suggest checking out the beginner routine on this site; http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/ . And just keep in mind that lifting the same pink three pound dumbells for months on end is not going to do much! :wink:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about Stronglifts too, if you're looking to do it at home. I'm doing Body Revolution/Brazil Butt Lift right now and am just using heavy weights with the regular programs, so that's something to think about as well. I'm seeing results and can feel a difference in my endurance much faster than I have in the past now that I'm using the heavier weights. Also, depending on the type of cardio you're doing, look into weighted gloves. I have some that I wear during my cardio sessions (which right now is Turbo Jam) and boy oh boy is there a difference! Every little bit helps! But they don't look as cool as big giant weights. Definitely get those awesome weights that you can adjust. I try to "borrow" my husband's, but he always catches me taking them from the garage!
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hire a Personal Trainer. They will show you the best exercises for your goals and how to perform them correctly. Only for a week or two while you're getting used to the gym and building your confidence. Makes a huge difference to have some professional help to start with and well worth the money in the long run.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hire a Personal Trainer. They will show you the best exercises for your goals and how to perform them correctly. Only for a week or two while you're getting used to the gym and building your confidence. Makes a huge difference to have some professional help to start with and well worth the money in the long run.

If you belong to a gym, this is great advice. I joined a gym recently (before that I had been working out at home) and it came with a few free personal trainer sessions. It was so good I signed up for weekly sessions.
  • sangan22
    Options
    loving the look of stronglifts, may give it a go myself!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

The problem with many commercial personal trainers is that when you are just starting out, they will take you trough a pre-made routine on the machines. They will start you with machine one, have you do 12 reps, then move to the next machine. 12 reps. They will normally do this for about 8 machines and then go back. For this, they will charge you 40-60 bucks and hour and really, all they are doing is counting your reps. If you look on the machine, it will have diagrams telling you what muscles are worked and how to use the machine. I would think that the OP can count to 12 for herself.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym but there is a gym at my work with lots of weights. At the moment I struggle with 3lb weights which is hugely embarrassing! I can't afford a trainer - it's why I run, I can't afford a gym! I will check out the websites tho, thanks
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing that you are struggling with a 3lb weight? Also, if you never start, you will always struggle.
  • gsingh193
    Options
    ok i eat around 900 calories before my workout. i burn around 500 calories in the evening then for dinner i have around 700 calories after my workout not immediately( oh and i lift weights as well as heavy as i can.) its like 150 after workout and the remaining at dinner.. i want to know is my calorie intake less? i dont want to lose muscle i just want to reduce my body fat to around 8 percent right now its around 12 to 13 percent
    im 5 8 and 135 lbs..
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing that you are struggling with a 3lb weight? Also, if you never start, you will always struggle.

I have been doing the Gillian Michaels 30 Day shred and there is this exercise where i go into a lunge and bring my arms straight up to eye level and the weigh kills my shoulders