My weight (and the scale) is driving me insane! Help?

Options
I've been trying to lose 5 pounds for the longest time ever, and none of the weight will come off no matter what I do. I weigh myself every morning and seem to easily put on a pound even with exercise or calorie restriction. I'm not doing anything wrong, yet I'm seeing no results. And the scale controls my life. Every time I see an increase in weight, my whole entire day is ruined and I get depressed to the point where I don't want to leave the house or go out in public. I just turned 18 and at 5'4 weigh about 118 pounds. I'm dying to get to 112, but I can't get there. My metabolism has slowed down greatly over the year for some reason because I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted without gaining weight. Now I'm gaining weight even though I'm eating really healthy and counting calories. I'm gaining weight at such a fast rate (last week I was 115 pounds and gained 3 pounds in a few days). Coupled with my already low self esteem, this is making it even lower. It gets to the point where I want to end my life. All my friends are skinnier than me, but they eat a lot more. This makes me extremely jealous. I feel like I'm just destined to be fat. Any tips or advice? I really need help. Thanks

Replies

• liisa23
    liisa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First of all, breathe!! Your body is at a really great place to begin with. Are you eating fats? Eating more fat will help, and will also help keep your brain in balance. I hope you do realize that you are bordering on eating disorder behaviour, and may want to consider seeking out the advice/help of a naturopath and/or counsellor. Just so you have the proper support you need to do this all the right way, and you don't deprive your body of nutrients it needs to stay healthy and functioning.

It's hard to give advice from a forum, but I hope you do reach out to someone local to you who can help guide you through this. :)
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First of all, why all this fuss over five lbs? It's great you're trying to lose weight if that's what you want to do, but even people who have 50-100's of lbs to lose don't get so worked up that they want to end their lives! I don't want to sound insensitive here but you need to gain some perspective. What are you going to tell people when they ask why you're so depressed? That you weigh 118 and you want to weigh 112? Seriously, if that is the biggest problem in your life, consider yourself extremely lucky.

Now that that is out of the way, I DO understand how frustrating it is to see the scale go nowhere. The first thing I'll tell you to do is to be HONEST with yourself. Do you track every calorie HONESTLY? Do you WEIGH your food or are you just guessing? Do you even count oil and butter you cook with and cream in your coffee? Because if you're eating at a calorie defecit then you will lose weight unless you have some underlying condition. Buy a kitchen scale and use it. Measuring spoons too. Before it goes in your mouth, weigh it and record it properly.

Second thing, are you pregnant? Are you sure you're not? 'cause that would be one common reason that you are not only not losing but gaining quickly.

I wish you luck and honesty with yourself. Once I started being honest with myself about my portions, I started losing and losing relitively fast. I just had to stop pretending my 9 oz steak was only 4 oz and that my 2 tbsp of peanut butter was only .5 tbsp.

**EDIT - I forgot to mention what the kind lady above me mentioned - go see a counsellor or nutritionist. Or both.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You're kidding, right? I'm not trying to be mean, but 118 for someone who is 5'4" is on the LOW end of a healthy BMI. Why do you feel the need to get down to 112? That would put you on the edge of being underweight, which is just as unhealthy as being overweight. Stop weighing yourself every day. Have someone hide the scale if you don't have the self control to stay off it. I would agree with the previous responses that advise you see a nutritionist or counselor about this.
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    You don't need weight loss help, you need a therapist.

You're suicidal over 5 lbs.

Please tell a parent or someone you trust about how you feel, so you can get some help for the way you're feeling right now.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You do realize that weight fluctuates on a daily basis, due to water intake, retention, how much/how little you've eaten for that day, etc.? Try using a tape measure to keep track instead of watching the scale move up and down if it's making you batty.

I want to add that 112 really is pretty low for your height... I'm 5'2" and going for 125. Please don't call yourself fat and beat yourself up about this! It's important to embrace the differences in yourself and know that absolutely everybody is different.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Please seek the professional help of a therapist, psychiatrist, counselor or doctor. There are many things that trouble me about your post and I hope you find someone who can help and support you.