When not counting calories

Options
Do you mostly undereat, overeat or eat just right?
I mostly undereat, sometimes quite a lot.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    what? :huh:

When you don't count calories you can only ''estimate'' how much you are eating, so really you don't know if you aren't counting...
  • qwerty1895
    Options
    Well you can count afterwards. You don't remember what you ate a day ago or what?
  • Escape_Artist
    Options
    *double post*
  • Escape_Artist
    Options
    I believe the whole point is to log as you eat or pre log, which is what I do so I wouldn't know what not counting calories and adding them the day after does..
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Some days I'm a fatass and eat all the foods... some days I get busy and say I'll eat later... and then later... and I end up undereating. Most of the time I'm pretty close though. I mostly log so I can make sure I'm hitting my macros. Even if I'm good about taking in the right number of calories, I need to be sure I'm taking in the right amount of protein. :wink: And, yes, since using MFP, I pre-log, or at least log as I go.
  • mrsduke2924
    mrsduke2924 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I tend to log each day - or some days I log in advance my planned meals to check how I'm hitting my targets - then make sure I stick to them :smile:
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I pre-log, mostly because I cycle my intake carefully and need to make sure I hit it. Some high calorie days I have a really hard time eating everything I'm supposed to, some low calorie days I really want to eat more. So I feel like without counting I'd end up mid-range.
  • alexsheena
    Options
    I'd say right now that I would overeat. I'm quite good at being able to round the calories and add them in my head but I think my portions would all be too big and I'm likely to fudge it a bit and say 'oh one more piece of chocolate wont hurt' and end up eating the whole bar. Right now I need to be tracking but i'm working on it.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging a couple years ago. I just keep a rough estimation in my head. I have been maintaining since May and weight has stayed right around 175 with the exception of gain from water retention.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I tend to naturally under-eat when eating healthy foods. That is why I started tracking. I was concerned about not eating enough.

I don't usually need to weigh/measure my foods to know the portion sizes at this point but I like to see about where the numbers fall to keep them from going too low. Tracking can also be helpful when my exercise calories burned vary a lot.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I undereat, then I overeat, then I eat normal, then I overeat, then I undereat. That's going by what I did a couple of weeks ago (I logged everything anyway).

Over the long term, it adds up to roughly a 300 calorie per day surplus (how I gained 100 pounds in 3 years) because I would generally not eat for 36 hours and then splurge. It is 20:26 and I am currently eating breakfast and still haven't eaten one of my sandwiches from yesterday... and today is supposed to be a maintenance day (yesterday I still had 2,000 calories to consume at midnight).