Is this really a lifestyle change for you?

Options
I've seen a few people who hit their final goal and then ask how to maintain without counting calories. If you're making a LIFEstyle change then I would think that counting calories is going to be part of your every day life. However, if you have been counting calories through out your weight loss journey then you should have a pretty good idea of what your daily intake should be without the pressure of counting calories every single day. :wink:

I've also seen a few people say that now they hit their goal, they wanted to use those extra calories for junk food. :noway:
Seriously? :ohwell:

So, I'm curious to know how many of you plan on counting calories even after you hit your final goal?
What's everyone's plan on how to maintain?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mario284
    Options
    I definitely plan to keep on counting calories. I believe it's the only way to maintain...well at least for me :-)
  • Sardine239
    Sardine239 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is just second nature to me now. Plus, I can't eat the junk I used to, it makes me sick, so I'm not too concerned with maintaining this lifestyle change once I reach my goal.
  • lugerron
    Options
    I don't see how I can stop counting calories. I already know that it's very easy for me to eyeball what I'm eating, so by measuring everything and keeping track of everything, I don't have to worry about any kind of guesswork. I refuse to re-gain all of the weight that I'm going to lose, so I intend to continue counting calories, and eating right.
  • austinl45
    austinl45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I believe that once you've lived this lifestyle a while - then counting calories won't be necessary because you'll know from experience where you sit calorie wise. Even today I eat a lot of the same things in the day so by dinner time, I have a really good idea where I am for the day. As far as junk food, it's the same concept... you know that it's ok every now and then, but if you add it back in every day it's not gonna work and you haven't learned anything at all.

Just my opinion.
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I plan to carry on calorie counting. Plus looking at the labels is a positive thing because it makes you think twice about the crap they get away with putting in food.
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I am planning on counting calories for a while after I reach my last goal. I am nearing my first goal now and then will reset to another smaller goal and then 1 more small goal after that. When I am done with my 3rd and final goal I will count calories for a while to keep myself accountable. I do not plan on eating my extra calories as "junk food". Ice cream and cakes and things will be a treat only as they are now.
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This definitely is a life style change for me! I do not plan to reach my ultimate goal to only turn around and go back to where I started with junk....However, I am not one to deprive myself now either. If I crave it, I will have it in moderation though. There is no sense in restricting yourself from treats here and there. It will only push you to binge on those treats later.

Just remember everything in moderation! I really don`t think there is any need to sit down with a super sized bag of chips and finish the bag in one sitting....If that is what you are craving, get a bowl and instead of refilling that bowl, save your special treat for the days ahead!

I still have a long way to go, but I am not willing to be so strict with myself that I end up regaining in the end anyways.....

So, for the most part, I don`t plan to count calories strictly, but maybe just keep a rolling tally in my head, that way I have a general idea where I stand.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Will definitely still count calories. Might go a little easier on myself with respect to fat intake, but the no-no's will still be there (flour and sugar) for the most part.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    For this whole lifestyle change I, and my wife, are much more process oriented than goal oriented. In other words. If we learn, and continue to eat healthy....If I continue to find challenges for myself physicly...the weight will take care of itself.

There are days I'm not going to count calories. There are days that I eat high fat, high calorie foods. But I understand that, that can't happen very often.

So yes, I would say it's a lifestyle change.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to count calories 100% of the time forever. I expect to be able to maintain fairly well with what I've taught myself over the last year. But I also expect to keep myself in check by weighing in every once in a while. If I see I'm not maintaining like I should be, yes, I'll certainly go back to counting calories for a while because I like the math and I also like logging my food and knowing what I'm putting into my body.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I lost 105 pounds 9 years ago and kept it off for years until my husband passed away. The funeral food got me lol. I maintained it without much thought - I DID mentally note the calories but didn't write them down. I kept a scale and had a weight range that was acceptable. My HORRIBLE move was getting rid of the scale when I moved and also giving up hope there and eating emotionally to fill the void of his death.
  • danguzman
    Options
    I plan on counting calories as it really makes me think before I reach for a snack. I stop and think about it and pass.

Thankfully there is an app on my android phone that really has helped me.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My mindset is I have to continue counting calories - otherwise I will quickly end up being in the same spot I'm in now - unhealthily overweight! Counting calories is making me accountable to my food choices and I can't see that changing once I reach my goal.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've always considered this to be a permanent lifestyle change for me; therefore, it's simply not an option to stop counting calories. This is why I love this website--it's much easier to track calories on here rather than writing it down (though I currently do both because I'm a nerd). I suspect that some people consider this to be a diet, which for some seems to be more of a temporary fix...not to mention that the mere word "diet" carries a major stigma. Success with this is all about making good choices and keeping things in moderation. :)
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is definitely part of my lifestyle. I just blogged about all the changes I've made, and how much I love my new lifestyle! I'm one pound away from my goal weight! :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fitgirl4life/view/i-ve-finally-got-the-lifestyle-i-want-42054
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have reached my goals, and kept on calorie counting. I've even continued to lose more weight.

I wonder sometimes if my continuing to calorie count is some sort of superstition, but it really helps to keep my intake in perspective. It keeps me accountable for all my choices, good and bad.

I don't know if I'd be in the shape I am today without the ease of MFP. It really has been a breeze to keep track, so I figure why mess with it. I'll keep going for as long as I can.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change for sure. I will feel better about myself and will of course eat something in moderation if I'm craving it but I know that if I stop once I hit my goal I will end up with every single pound back on me and it is not something I want. I will continue to exercise, keep processed junk out of my system (for the most part) , drink a ton of water and count my calories.
  • ByTheBeach
    Options
    I've only been at this for a few months...and though I still refuse to weigh myself I can see positive changes in my eating habits and how my clothes actually fit me.

That being said, I figure I will ALWAYS need to count calories if I want to continue to lose any weight and when I do lose and hit my goal, I'll need to maintain by counting calories and continuing to work out. I truly believe that this process is about changing your thoughts about eating and food. For me, that means using this site for as long as I can...most likely forever to just track my intake and remind myself what I need to do.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few people who hit their final goal and then ask how to maintain without counting calories. If you're making a LIFEstyle change then I would think that counting calories is going to be part of your every day life. However, if you have been counting calories through out your weight loss journey then you should have a pretty good idea of what your daily intake should be without the pressure of counting calories every single day. :wink:

I've also seen a few people say that now they hit their goal, they wanted to use those extra calories for junk food. :noway:
    Seriously? :ohwell:

So, I'm curious to know how many of you plan on counting calories even after you hit your final goal?
    What's everyone's plan on how to maintain?

:flowerforyou:

For me, this is a permanent lifestyle change - for the rest of my life.

When I go onto maintenance, I am prepared for it to be a bit hit and miss until I find my correct daily calories allowance and then, yes, I will definitely be keeping tabs on those little calories.

My main aim though, is to continue to eat correctly with nutritious food and I have absolutely no intention whatsoever to going back to how I used to be when I would replace meals with sweets and cakes. To this day, I still marvel at how I am actually walking about, it is a miracle I am not dead to be honest. Looking back on what I used to eat, there is no way on earth that I was getting all the vitamins, minerals and protein that I needed, whereas now, I have never felt so well and healthy, ever!

And THAT is the reason why I will never, ever return to how I was.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I will for a few months until I know I am maintaining and then I'll stop.
    By then, I better know what's good for me and what's not and how to maintain my lifestyle.
    If I see the scale start to creep up again, I'll start counting again, but I have no intentions of being this weight-obsessed once I am an athletic, toned, bikini-ready body.