Sugar Detoxing?

Options
So I'm on the fourth day of cutting excess sugar out of my diet. I realized I was previously eating a lot of foods like special K in the morning, honey on fruit for snacks and sugary yogurts for dessert, and it was worrying me, so I decided to cut out all extra sweeteners and sugars (slowly getting rid of all the sugar filled foods in my pantry by having my family eat it, as I don't want to consume any of it, haven't had a chance to buy fresh fruit and low sugar cereals/crackers/etc yet). I've upped my fat and protein, and I'm still eating carbs.

My question is about my symptoms. I've been extremely cranky, lethargic (this the most), and nauseous for the last few days! And I didn't think my extra sugar intake was THAT serious... I mean, it's much lower now, but I'm still eating healthy carbs. Is it possible I was eating more sugar than I thought, or can sugar detoxing be like this even if you weren't super addicted beforehand? I just want to make sure everything's okay!

And though I call it a "detox", what I really mean by that is my body going through the detoxing of sugar from my diet. The no-added-sugar change is for my lifestyle- I want it to be forever!

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I definitely have withdrawals from sugar and carbs. I decided to drop mine lower last week and for about 3 days I was so crabby and craving all sorts of weird things. I didn't think mine were that high either, since I have celiac disease and can't even eat anything with wheat in it.

But yeah, it gets easier. I didn't look at your diary, but maybe try some things like avocados that have a lot of fat and good carbs?
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I made it 3 weeks without any refined sugars once. I was trying to cut ALL sugar out and realized that EVERYTHING has sugar in it. Even canned green beans (not that I eat canned green beans, but I'm just saying). So my goal was 30 grams a day or less, and no refined or HFCS. It was really really hard. I would get a craving for something. I had some dark chocolate chips in the freezer, so if I got a bad craving I would eat 5 or 6 of them. If I worked out for the day I allowed myself more.

It's tough, especially if you've never really cared in the past. I would suggest you don't think of this as a short term detox, but rather a life style change. Work on removing the sugar from your life. It might take 2 or 3 months, but eventually you will get to the point where aren't eating much and you aren't craving it and you aren't feeling cruddy about it!

You need sugar for fuel, so as long as you use it, it's ok. Just don't consume it and let it sit on your body, because it WILL turn to fat! It will spike your blood sugar levels, which spikes your insulin levels, which makes your pancreas work harder, etc.

Good luck!

- Mike
  • Zenjaeie
    Zenjaeie Posts: 95
    Options
    I definitely have withdrawals from sugar and carbs. I decided to drop mine lower last week and for about 3 days I was so crabby and craving all sorts of weird things. I didn't think mine were that high either, since I have celiac disease and can't even eat anything with wheat in it.

But yeah, it gets easier. I didn't look at your diary, but maybe try some things like avocados that have a lot of fat and good carbs?

Good to know it's not just me! And yeah, it's the fourth day and I'm actually feeling a bit better, still a little tired but less crabby (hopefully!) also, I seem to only want to eat sugary foods... which I can't, obviously!
    I've been eating a little extra fat like almonds to help with cravings. Haven't tried avocado, though...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are hardwired to desire sweet foods because we use them for energy. sugar = pure energy (Use wisely)

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/2013/07/15/is-sugar-really-toxic-sifting-through-the-evidence/
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Its normal for your body to react to removing something like sugar or caffeine from your diet. Headaches, mood swings etc are all normal.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I dropped from 180lbs to 170 in about a month by primarily reducing unrefined sugar (total caloric intake was the same). I'm 6ft and exercise, so I didn't exactly have a lot of excess weight to lose. I was consuming a lot of sugary sports drinks and sugary power bars, thinking I was eating healthily.

There is no down side to reducing the refined sugar in your diet! I continue to eat a reasonable amount of fruit and put raw honey in my coffee instead of artificial sweeteners, not counting natural sugar against my daily allowance. The rest I try to minimize as much as possible.
  • Zenjaeie
    Options
    I dropped from 180lbs to 170 in about a month by primarily reducing unrefined sugar (total caloric intake was the same). I'm 6ft and exercise, so I didn't exactly have a lot of excess weight to lose. I was consuming a lot of sugary sports drinks and sugary power bars, thinking I was eating healthily.

There is no down side to reducing the refined sugar in your diet! I continue to eat a reasonable amount of fruit and put raw honey in my coffee instead of artificial sweeteners, not counting natural sugar against my daily allowance. The rest I try to minimize as much as possible.

That's what I like to hear! Are there any refined sugar free things you like to buy instead? How were your "withdrawals"?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's completely unnecessary to remove sugar from your diet if you don't have a medical reason to do so (diabetes etc.). 30g of granulated sugar and 30g of carbs from whole wheat pasta will have the same effect on your body composition if you are eating at maintenance or at a deficit.
  • Zenjaeie
    Options
    It's completely unnecessary to remove sugar from your diet if you don't have a medical reason to do so (diabetes etc.). 30g of granulated sugar and 30g of carbs from whole wheat pasta will have the same effect on your body composition if you are eating at maintenance or at a deficit.

There seems to be a difference in opinion on this subject, and I personally believe otherwise.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There seems to be a difference in opinion on this subject, and I personally believe otherwise.

What is a saccharide?
  • Zenjaeie
    Options

What is a saccharide?

You mean a carbohydrate? And what I mean is that processed sugar=not going to fill you up, but whole carbs=more substantial. Why am I being questioned about my diet? All I asked was whether my symptoms were normal, haha.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

...or in a surplus

Sugar has the added benefit of being less filling, which can often be quite important in a surplus.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Oh I'm sorry, that wasn't an opinion, it was a fact, based on scientific studies. It's perfectly fine if you don't agree, you're just incorrect...
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    So I'm on the fourth day of cutting excess sugar out of my diet. I realized I was previously eating a lot of foods like special K in the morning, honey on fruit for snacks and sugary yogurts for dessert, and it was worrying me, so I decided to cut out all extra sweeteners and sugars (slowly getting rid of all the sugar filled foods in my pantry by having my family eat it, as I don't want to consume any of it, haven't had a chance to buy fresh fruit and low sugar cereals/crackers/etc yet). I've upped my fat and protein, and I'm still eating carbs.

My question is about my symptoms. I've been extremely cranky, lethargic (this the most), and nauseous for the last few days! And I didn't think my extra sugar intake was THAT serious... I mean, it's much lower now, but I'm still eating healthy carbs. Is it possible I was eating more sugar than I thought, or can sugar detoxing be like this even if you weren't super addicted beforehand? I just want to make sure everything's okay!

And though I call it a "detox", what I really mean by that is my body going through the detoxing of sugar from my diet. The no-added-sugar change is for my lifestyle- I want it to be forever!

Wait. I am confused.
    You do not count calories, yet are concerned about the amount of sugar you are consuming on a daily basis? Do you have a medical condition? Is it possible you are cranky, lethargic and feeling sick to your stomach for other reasons? Is there a specific reason why you are trying to cut out "added sugar" as a lifestyle change?

Is it going to matter what responses you get? Since you are so set on not counting calories and are closed to any other opinions on the subject? (per your profile)

I am not trying to be "judgey" here, I am curious.

ETA: Another question...if you believe sugar is so bad, why is it ok for your family to consume, but not you?
  • annabelleleepoe
    annabelleleepoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyone saying sugar doesn't matter: Go watch "Hungry For Change". It explains how refined sugar should be catergorized as a drug. I'm also sugar detoxing (on Day 6 and emotional as anything!) and so I understand what you're going through. It's get easier though (so I've heard).

As far as calories go, I'm also aiming to stay below 1,200 calories/day. Calories ALWAYS matter. You could eat straight butter sticks all day every day and as long as those butter sticks didn't add up to more than 1,500 (approximately), you'll still lose weight. You'll feel like crap, but you will lose weight.

I've noticed that I binge on refined sugars and crave them ridiculously, so in an effort to acheive better health, I chose to do the sugar detox diet.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
  • magerum
    Options

Oh I'm sorry, that wasn't an opinion, it was a fact, based on scientific studies. It's perfectly fine if you don't agree, you're just incorrect...

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif&sa=X&ei=3zEZUuupJ8L1iwLfn4DwCw&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEkgoVbS1cgHmQHbPRFbvHL0r0j8Q
  • magerum
    Options
    Everyone saying sugar doesn't matter: Go watch "Hungry For Change". It explains how refined sugar should be catergorized as a drug. I'm also sugar detoxing (on Day 6 and emotional as anything!) and so I understand what you're going through. It's get easier though (so I've heard).

As far as calories go, I'm also aiming to stay below 1,200 calories/day. Calories ALWAYS matter. You could eat straight butter sticks all day every day and as long as those butter sticks didn't add up to more than 1,500 (approximately), you'll still lose weight. You'll feel like crap, but you will lose weight.

I've noticed that I binge on refined sugars and crave them ridiculously, so in an effort to acheive better health, I chose to do the sugar detox diet.

Nice first post
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How many total daily carbs are you getting now? Your symptoms sound a lot like what happens when you go low-carb, bur not low enough for ketosis. I call it the "carb danger zone" and for me its sub 150g/day-ish. Could be lower if you're not as active as I am. Carb danger zone makes everyone feel like *kitten* and it can easily be mistaken for supposed sugar withdrawals.

ETA: It even comes with almost unbearable cravings for sugary foods. I found myself about to cut a bish for poptarts, and I don't even like poptarts.
  • carolroberton
    Options
    How Toxic is Sugar? Google "The Fifth Estate, How Toxic is Sugar?" CBC . Very scary scientific information emerging about how much hidden sugar is in our foods and how it is affecting our bodies.