Will loosing weight get me a job

Options
124»

Replies

• harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Obesity is an important factor. I've worked in human resources department of a big company and fat candidates were turned down, even with good qualifications. Very few were hired when the other candidates for same position were even worse. On the other hand I see how overweighted family members fuction in everyday life and to tell the truth, I wouldn't hire any of them. They spend twice or thrice as much time even on simple tasks, move slowly, sleep longer, have no order when it comes to food, have no idea what a food portion is and when it's time to stop eating, don't drink water at all, look down at every form of physical exercise and laugh at me when I put my running shoes on. Of course there are people who gain weight for medical reasons but I know only one or two from this group. If someone has poor discipline and weak will when it comes to eating, drinking and sporting this in my experiences applies to other aspects of his/her life as well. Someone may call it prejustice, I say these are FACTS!
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Probably not, but correct spelling would help--lose weight, losing weight--not loose.

Apparently being a d bag is ok though.:drinker:

Yeah, it's way less of a d-bag move to assume people are too stupid to learn and let them go around looking like an idiot. :drinker:

Well considering a lot of people are on phones or tablets, which makes it pretty easy to have a typo, I don't feel the need to run around correcting everyone. I will stick to being the kind of d bag that assumes people make typos, and you can be the kind of d bag that claims they are idiots. That way both roles are covered
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I conduct the interviews in my upstairs office and if you're huffing and puffing making it up the long flight of stairs it isn't likely I'll be hiring you.

Well, that's going to get you and your company sued. I truly hope someone you work for or have refused a job offer sees this and figures out it is you some day.

Why? That's where my office is. I can choose to meet you in my office or the lunch room. I choose the office and I run those stairs all day long. If you can't make it up there easily once then you probably aren't going to be a good candidate for working a 12 hour day at a physically demanding job.

I was referring to your practice of not hiring fat people just because they are fat.
    It makes a huge difference if you are healthy enough to do the job and I don't care how many people tell me that they are overweight but in really good physical condition it's never worked out that way.

I'm overweight and in significantly better condition than most people I know, and I know TONS of fit young college students.

That would be your opinion of yourself and you're entitled to it but if you can't prove that your weight isn't a hindrance to the job I need you to do then I'll use my own judgement of how you present yourself.

A hindrance to a job where you are working in an office? Or a hindrance to your personal tastes?
    I think being significantly overweight is a reflection of how much effort you put into all aspects of your life.

That's because you are an ignorant troll and a blight on society. I gained a ton of weight while I was suffering through some liver problems. Prior to that, I worked on a farm doing hard physical labor all day that most people would cringe at the thought of. I exercise daily, and I had even gone back to school to get a degree in mathematics while at the same time being a single father for three young boys, the youngest of which was 1 at the time.

Tell me more about how you put that much more effort into life than me. I dare you.

Prior to your weight gain you worked a physical job, doesn't mean you could do it after. I'm assuming with your "go getter" attitude that you'll lose the weight again and become the fine physical specimen you were before. We all have challenges in life, I won't bore you with my life story to justify our hiring practices because I can already tell from your attitude here that you have a huge chip on your shoulder which most likely comes across quite clearly in an interview. That's why we do long interviews and ask lots of questions. True colors usually come out fairly quickly.

No, I just hate ignorance, especially when it comes from ignorant people who feel they need to try to hurt the feelings of others using their ignorance. Does it make you feel good to tell people you don't even know that you are better than them, just because you aren't fat? Does it make you a lot happier in life to decide that anyone who does not have at least the same body fat percentage as you is not worth as much as you as a person because they haven't put forth the same effort you have? Why do you make the assumption that , because it has barely taken you any work to maintain your fitness level throughout life, that everyone fatter than you must be working FAR less than you on their fitness level? Believe it or not, not all fat people are pounding big macs while resting on their sofa, tuned into their TVs while they wait for their TV dinner to get done cooking so they have something salty to offset the sweet taste of their caramel coated ice cream sandwiches.

I can still do the farm work as always, I just gained a bunch of fat. I've also managed working, going to school, and running a household as a single parent with three small children for the last three years. Losing weight isn't a simple thing either, no matter how much of a "go getter" I am. Furthermore, there are many people in this country with very real health problems that affect their ability to control their weight, such as hypothyroidism for instance. You coming on here to execute your brand of fat shaming is not helping those people either. Try to be a decent human being to others and be supportive to people who actually have to work hard to do things like get fit and lose weight.. Then again, as you said before, true colors come out fairly quickly, and you made it obvious right from the start what kind of person you are.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Not weight related but:

I developed ulcerative colitis when I was 22 - I was having to go to the loo 5 times a day and was severely anaemic (although I did not know it at the time). My winter final year exams for my degree (December) coincided with this and I dragged myself to them, although the walk nearly made me pass out and I had to leave each one after less than an hour. I was in intensive care by Feb 5th the following year, having had an emergency colectomy and ileostomy. I passed the exams - just, with a much lower grade than I was expected to get. I was allowed to retake my final year exams that I would have sat in the June, because I missed them due to recovering from my operation. I was NOT allowed to retake the December exams because I had turned up and passed. This meant I obtained a 2:2 as opposed to having a very real shot at a 1st.

Whenever anyone looks at my CV, they will see a 2:2 and not a 1st - I wanted to do a PhD, but I was told in no uncertain terms that I would never get funding because the funding body wouldn't read past 2:2 and throw the application in the bin.

The point is that what happened to you sad and not fair, just like what happened to me, but you have to accept that the world does not give a flying ****, suck it up and get on with your life. Life is not fair, you have to make the most of what you have. If you are overweight you will be judged because of it regardless of why, because strangers couldn't give a rats *kitten* why. You either become bitter and suggest suing somebody hiring because they want a fit applicant or you accept life as it is and get on with yours.

I'm a farmer too, for what its worth and my solution was to essentially employ myself.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My husband is responsible for employing people in his field of work. He looks at applications first. Spelling, gramar, punctuation, comprehension & neat handwriting. He then looks to see if the form is filled in correctly and selects for interview the people he feels will be best suited to the role based upon work experience, examinations & education. Then he checks references and looks for any obvious gaps in the CV, anything which appears to be a falsification. He then (unfairly or not) looks at age and gender depending on which role he wants filled. At this point he arranges interviews, he is never prejudiced against ethnicity but wants people who have a good command of the english language both spoken and written and for whom english is a first language. At the first interview he takes into account size and grooming, clothing and neatness. He does not want fat people, or people with tattoos, piercings, pink hair, alternative appearances of any kind eg goths or emos. He wants mainstream slim and attractive people, with the right qualifications and more importantly experience. He would hire a graduate over a person with GCSEs and he would expect them to work for free for a month as an intern. Whether this is legal or not is besides the point, he conducts the interviews and he chooses from a pool of similarly able people so that if he was challenged by anybody he could correctly state I chose the most able and even though he is married to a fat women (me) he would never employ a fat person because he believes they may incur or have health problems and also because he perceives them to be lazy and laid back rather than driven and determined.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes. I found an immediate response. I had to buy new clothes because my old ones were literally circus tent huge. I went to tj maxx and bought a new suite. I definitely noticed a huge difference. Perhaps it was me because I was more confident.

You don't see many hot, fit women, out of work do you? Being overweight (without med reason) shows lack of self-control. It shows that you don't care about yourself. Now it also will put a drag on company HC costs.

Its the truth...a hard one ...but the truth.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I'm friends with two of my supervisors on MFP.

*fingers crossed for raise

lol
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Probably not, but correct spelling would help--lose weight, losing weight--not loose.

Apparently being a d bag is ok though.:drinker:

Yeah, it's way less of a d-bag move to assume people are too stupid to learn and let them go around looking like an idiot. :drinker:

Well considering a lot of people are on phones or tablets, which makes it pretty easy to have a typo, I don't feel the need to run around correcting everyone. I will stick to being the kind of d bag that assumes people make typos, and you can be the kind of d bag that claims they are idiots. That way both roles are covered

My bad, I thought you were the d-bag who didn't want anyone to post the correct info and I was the d-bag assuming people could learn. Either way, there's emoticon beer so it can't be too bad.