Rant About Track Etiquette

Options

Replies

• Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    I had a feeling most of the replies would be like this. Sorry (not really), but even if it's not the end of the world, it is pretty annoying to have to go out of the way for people who obliviously put themselves in my path when there are plenty of other options open most of the time. There's no reason anybody should have to go around anybody if you just stagger yourselves in a semi-intelligent fashion.

As for going backwards, psh. Just because it wouldn't be acceptable at a busy track doesn't mean there's anything wrong with doing it at a small-town barely used school track. I've seen a fair few others do the same thing. And it isn't just to tickle my jimmies -- there is a legitimate reason for it.

I'm glad that some people understand the frustration of having to deal with people who can't think outside their own bubbles and be courteous to others. It sucks enough to deal with these people when I'm out in other public places like the store buying groceries and waiting in line to pay bills, etc, but it's a lot worse when I'm actually exerting a lot of physical effort and feeling all sweaty and gross and I have to dodge people who can't get it together.
  • Otrogen
    Options
    If this is a standard 400m track, how can you tell what lane somebody is on, way on the other side of the track?

I have pretty crappy depth perception but I can tell whether somebody is on the inside, outside,or middle of the track and choose which area I'm going to take accordingly. I mean literally the standard amount of people at this track is like 2-5, and if there are ever as many as 5, they usually are in pairs. This isn't difficult.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The rule for our gym is.... slower people on the inside.
    They rotate the direction every day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i really hope that one day, my life is so incredibly stress free that my biggest problem is the people on my running path.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    you gotta be kidding me
    just run around them
    no one cares about your olympic aspirations
    they dont care what lane theyre in
    they just want to get some exercise
    just because you take the track serious doesnt mean they should to
    most ppl just see it as a place to walk/run
    who cares about lane assignments?
    you cant even run around them... because why again?
    you make it seem like there is no space on the track to squeeze through
    like 10 ppl are abreast on the track haha
    i like weaving around ppl, works on my agility
    bottom line: public parks, trails, tracks arent ruled by you
    be ready to make some sacrifices. thats just the way it works.

^

Take the stick out of your rear end and move aside. I ran track/cross country for 7 years. It's not a big deal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So the question is, "I'm very rude and inconsiderate when I'm at the track, but why can't these complete strangers show my some friggin consideration?"
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you mean. When I started running on the high school track this summer, it's usually pretty empty at night and I'd see maybe 3 other people on the track during my entire run. So I usually pick a middle lane and almost every time I'd end up having to change lanes because someone would come and pick my lane to walk in when there are at least 4 other lanes completely open, and I kind of zone out running with music so I might not notice until I'm right behind them. It's just rude

I've also seen this one family there where the parents walk the track and let their kid kick his soccer ball back and forth all the lanes in front of people running instead of having him stay in the middle on the football field. I've almost tripped over him or the ball like 5 times from him cutting me off
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should make a sign about your personal rules and post it on a hurdle in your lane for all the rude don't-even-pay-track-membership-dues entitled people to read. Then you also get a hurdle to jump during your runs. Win-win.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OP, I stopped running in the park for similar reasons. There would be people strolling side by side, three across, and I know they can see I am running and still will not move. I have had people stop in the middle of the trail having conversations and will not move. I have to veer into the grass to get around them. I think it is beyond rude. When I see/hear someone running faster than me, I always step to the right to allow them to pass. I run in my neighborhood now, but have been thinking going to visit the local high school track. You are now giving me second thoughts about it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I run on a trail. No rules for me!
  • Otrogen
    Options
    i really hope that one day, my life is so incredibly stress free that my biggest problem is the people on my running path.

You can try to belittle my annoyance all you want, but it doesn't invalidate it. Common courtesy and basic situational awareness would solve literally all of this. At least try not to put words in my mouth -- I never said it was my biggest problem. I said it happens nearly every single time I go to the track, and with so few people there, it is completely avoidable and very rude for other people to put themselves in my path when I'm in the middle of a workout. God forbid I make a thread to vent my frustration over something lest I divert attention away from any larger problems xP.

And for whoever did the pool analogy, no, that's stupid. Me going backwards in lane 8 doesn't affect you going forward in lanes 1-7 in any way. Going horizontally in a pool with vertical lanes would cut across everybody else's space.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't care how heavily or lightly populated the track is, there is track etiquette, and judging by your posts, you have very little understanding of it. It also appears that you are lacking in civility, which goes a long way.

If you insist on running clockwise (otherwise known as "the wrong way"), you do it in the outside lane. Your argument that you need to balance it out because of the curves is invalid because I doubt your running fast enough to create any type of lateral load. If you were pumping out 6 minute miles, that would be another thing.

If you ARE the fastest runner/walker on the track, you take the inside lane. If someone faster than you comes out, you move out a lane. Simple.

If you are doing intervals, do the fast repeats on the inside lane and move out a lane (or two) for your recovery sections.

If someone is oblivious to these points of etiquette, ask them to move out a lane or two. I had to do that recently with two very nice ladies who came to the track and starting walking on the inside lane were I was running 400m repeats. I simply said "Would you ladies mind moving out to lane two? I'm running these fast laps and I don't want them to last any longer than they have to." The told me that wasn't an issue and moved to lane 3. I thanked them. This may be the most important part.
  • Otrogen
    Options
    I don't care how heavily or lightly populated the track is, there is track etiquette, and judging by your posts, you have very little understanding of it. It also appears that you are lacking in civility, which goes a long way.

If you insist on running clockwise (otherwise known as "the wrong way"), you do it in the outside lane. Your argument that you need to balance it out because of the curves is invalid because I doubt your running fast enough to create any type of lateral load. If you were pumping out 6 minute miles, that would be another thing.

If you ARE the fastest runner/walker on the track, you take the inside lane. If someone faster than you comes out, you move out a lane. Simple.

If you are doing intervals, do the fast repeats on the inside lane and move out a lane (or two) for your recovery sections.

If someone is oblivious to these points of etiquette, ask them to move out a lane or two. I had to do that recently with two very nice ladies who came to the track and starting walking on the inside lane were I was running 400m repeats. I simply said "Would you ladies mind moving out to lane two? I'm running these fast laps and I don't want them to last any longer than they have to." The told me that wasn't an issue and moved to lane 3. I thanked them. This may be the most important part.

Those are the basic track rules I was referring to, actually, and nobody knows/follows them except other runners. Other runners aren't the people using the track when I go. Regardless, I usually put myself in lane 3, 4, or 5, which is where I'd belong. I have no desire to run the less even inside lanes.

You can say whatever you want about lateral load, but I looked into that specifically because I was running all one way and it hurt one knee more than the other one. The suggestion was to alternate running one way with the other so I put equal wear and tear on both knees, and it's eliminated that problem, so I'm sticking with it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So uh, as you can see, I don't have much patience for people who don't give consideration to others while using the track. I don't really see it as an incredibly difficult thing to give others, especially those working out harder/faster than you are, their space. Do you guys deal with anything like this, or am I the only one who feels like a grumpalump after leaving the track many days? xD

So... you're a douche nozzle, and apparently proud of it. Nice.

I'd love to have a guy running the wrong direction and not getting out of my way. I like body to body contact, a lot.

You start at a stark refusal to run properly on a track, and then take the express train to derp town from there. Good job. Here's an idea, go build your own track, or learn to play nice with others.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm with Carson on this one. Maybe I'm lucky, but in all the tracks I go to, even the HS track there are posted rules/track etiquette. And to be quite honest, it doesn't matter if you're the first one there.

If you're going the wrong way, it's still the wrong way. Most people I've seen even with out the rules, they know that and move aside. Yes there are the clueless people, but you just move around them. You don't like it, tough.

If you were running the same way, I would somewhat agree with you about just knocking people over, lord knows I've thought about it, but given that you're running clockwise, against traffic, then you need to adapt. If your knees are that bad, they you need to go see a doctor and get that medically checked out. You don't just get to change the rules because you think you're a special snowflake. If you really want that type of consideration get a doctor's note and work with the owner of the land/track.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Op thanks for bringing this up. I'm the kindest person to be around but when an eighty year old with a cane gets in my lane 1 when I'm timing my fast run, I go crazy mad. There are 8 comfy lanes, hello? It's so annoying, I go out of my skin.

Must suck to be that wound up.

I'm sure there are many wonderful private options available.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm glad that some people understand the frustration of having to deal with people who can't think outside their own bubbles and be courteous to others.

Anyone find this comment from the OP to be deliciously ironic and hilarious?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    whine.gif
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I love how you start your rant by saying that you ignore the first point of track courtesy - running counter clockwise. That's like admitting to driving on the wrong side of the road and then complaining about all the idiots driving straight at you. You lost all credibility before your rant even started.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    yes we must move for people or we trip over them..tis life..get over it..there are bigger fish to fry