Ready to quit!

Options
2»

Replies

• Jenn_lynn330
    Options
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!

Be patient, and just keep working hard, and clean eating. Just like you didn't gain weight over night you cant loose it over night. No kidding it took me over a month for me to loose weight, I even had a personal trainer and would get discourage bc other girls were shedding their weight off. Everyone has a different body and work at different pace. Just hang in there you will soon see result and will be glad you stuck it out. Good luck and wish you the best on your journey.:smile:
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 in April sure its harder but this site works. I have been on here since September 2012. When I started on here I was 190 LBS. That's a lot for some one who is only 5'1. My heaviest was 202 LBS. Now I'm 131.4 as of this morning. I weigh everything with my Star Frit scale. I eat what ever I want. I have 3 tubs of ice cream in my freezer as I write this. If you really want help open your diary.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Quitting will make you feeleven more miserable, you are better off sticking with it. I dont know how much you want to lose but even if it took you 2 or 3 years what would you rather be in 3 years, slim or fat? You will be 3 years older no matter what happens so you may as well be slim. The easiest way to stick to a healthy eating plan is to focus on just one day and that is what goes in your mouth today, forget yesterday or tomorrow, eat like a skinny person today . If you are meticulous about setting your calorie requirements for weight loss and stick to your calorie allowance for the day then it will come off plus taking some exercise when you can will definitely help too.
  • lisammystery
    Options
    you are entitled to your opinion but not everyone can keep the same diet. Some people do need adjustments considering their metabolism. I use to professionally body build 30 years ago and was one of the trainers in the gym. Saying it just bad advice let the person know who is struggling .........Why it is bad advice. We are all here to motivate and share success stories. My advice in the past has been very successful. Try encouraging our friend instead. Nameste'
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you expect people to say. Nobody can make you do it.

You can wait a few more years until you are 50lbs overweight.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes not too long ago and even posted here on MFP about quitting... I even got the people who really were not supportive and even made me feel like quitting even more (especially since I don't have anyone really helping me out in person)... I had someone out of the blue that made contact with me and I've since become friends with her... She looked at my food diary and investigated what I may be eating that was preventing me from losing weight, even though I was eating about 1200 - 1500 calories per day and frequently under... what she noticed was that what I was eating was high sodium content... her suggestion to my lack of weight loss, was water retention...

My suggestion to you... look at your sodium levels of what you are eating and try to reduce your intake of sodium...

When I started doing that 1 1/2 weeks ago, I've actually lost almost 5 pounds...

Just a suggestion... but don't give up... there are people out here in MFP land that are here to support you!
  • lisammystery
    Options
    I just joined yesterday. You guys are terrible try encouraging this person. Instead starting a cat fight. Give her some ideas instead of wasting her time reading these deplorable replies. grow up
  • lisammystery
    Options
    Thank you for reiterating what I was saying. Very supportive.
    Would love to be anyones friend for support!:smile:
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been there before! Working out made me hungry and my muscle mass expanded and my clothes got tighter! And to make matters worse I was eating extra because I thought "I just ran, I can eat a half a box of oreos" WRONG

After you get "bigger" you have to keep working out and after a month (if you're not eating the calories back from exercise), you will lose. But trust me that I understand exactly. I decided I needed better and faster results so I went on a low cal diet. I would suggest going as low as you can for a week, 1200 is what people say don't go below and if I state what I'm on the thread might get locked, haha. But anyways, I think if you start seeing results you will get motivated to keep on it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!

Be patient, and just keep working hard, and clean eating. Just like you didn't gain weight over night you cant loose it over night. No kidding it took me over a month for me to loose weight, I even had a personal trainer and would get discourage bc other girls were shedding their weight off. Everyone has a different body and work at different pace. Just hang in there you will soon see result and will be glad you stuck it out. Good luck and wish you the best on your journey.:smile:

Sensible.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you expect quitting to accomplish.

stop using age as an excuse. You're only 2 years older than me.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Your clothes may very well get tight developing muscles. Adjust your diet. High proteins and lower the carbs. I have lowered my carbs to 90 grams per day. That means lots of green veggies and chicken. I even sneak in a bowl of STEELE CUT Oates oatmeal every day. When reading labels read the carbs not calories. you will be surprised how many carbs are in things that you would think would not have a one. For example check out ketchup or cocktail sauce when you go grocery shopping next time. Also when you give up the fat in fat free items you are usually adding a couple of grams of carbs( because for what ever reason). to the fat free item.

What type of exercise are you doing? Try three days aerobic and two days muscle building. Take it easy on the heavy weights. Less weight more reps.

What are you eating? Is it high in sodium? you could be retaining water. Where are you in your menstral cycle? gaining up to 7 pound during certain times is not unusual.

Lemons and apple cider vinager are natural diuretics.

Well I hope that helps. You will be glad you hung in there in the end.

I just want to say that most of this is awful advice.

Agreed x Infinity. Makes more sense when you see it's from someone with zero lbs lost.

QFT. Worst advice ever. Full of fail sauce. OP profile states only trying to lose 15 lbs..................................... >.>
  • Aumu95
    Aumu95 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who offered helpful ideas and/or encouragement. I have opened up my food diary so it's now public...please feel free to let me know what adjustments might help. (Just please be nice...my hormones are fluctuating!). :-) I know I had some days where I was over my allotted calories, but there some where I'm under. I also wasn't keeping track on weekends at first but I'm trying to get better about that.
    Thank you!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If MFP gives you 1200 calories to eat you have to eat all of them or your body will eventually go into starvation mode. I understand wanting to loose weight faster but eating less then 1200 is not the way to do it. If you exercise you need to bring up your net to at least 1200. Trust me this site will work.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Your clothes may very well get tight developing muscles. Adjust your diet. High proteins and lower the carbs. I have lowered my carbs to 90 grams per day. That means lots of green veggies and chicken. I even sneak in a bowl of STEELE CUT Oates oatmeal every day. When reading labels read the carbs not calories. you will be surprised how many carbs are in things that you would think would not have a one. For example check out ketchup or cocktail sauce when you go grocery shopping next time. Also when you give up the fat in fat free items you are usually adding a couple of grams of carbs( because for what ever reason). to the fat free item.

What type of exercise are you doing? Try three days aerobic and two days muscle building. Take it easy on the heavy weights. Less weight more reps.

What are you eating? Is it high in sodium? you could be retaining water. Where are you in your menstral cycle? gaining up to 7 pound during certain times is not unusual.

Lemons and apple cider vinager are natural diuretics.

Well I hope that helps. You will be glad you hung in there in the end.

Are you from Stepford? Seriously, aerobic activity should be done everyday for at least a half an hour. That's minimum for adults that are at or near goal weigh. Double that for over 20 pounds to lose but under 60. More if you got a lot more to lose only build up to that hour and a half or split the activity into 2 or more blocks of time. As for lifting there is nothing wrong with lifting heavy and 3 to 4 times a week not 2. Jeepers. about the only thing right here is to limit the sodium.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Your calories do look very low although I can see from your diary that you are trying to get the protein in. With only 15 pounds to lose what setting would Mfp give for setting to lose 0.5 a week? I suspect it might be like 1400-1500 allowance. Ok, with that setting you would have to wait longer to get to your target goal but you could fit in more healthy stuff and train your body to be used to eating a bit more food once you get to the maintenance stage. Good luck!
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up, give up.

No matter what people say on this forum you are going to do what you're going to do.

When you're tried of being the way you are, try putting in some effort to lose some weight.
    The rest of us are busting our *kitten* off in the gym, dieting etc.
    This isn't for everyone, maybe it isn't for you.

If you honestly wanted to lose weight, change yourself, you wouldn't even think about quitting.

Edit: saw your diet. Maybe try eating better + exercising hard.
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Options
    How long did it take to put the weight on? Months, years? That's how long it will take to get it to come off.
    I want to lose 30 - 60 lbs. It's going to take hard work everyday for years to achieve that and then maintenance everyday to keep the weight from coming back. I'm committing to that. I don't want to be a sad sack who let herself go. I don't want to feel awful in clothes and even worse in bathing suits. So I'm going to need to slowly and patiently undo years of eating whatever I wanted and then crash dieting and repeating. One pound at a time is what I have been telling myself.