Giving up diet soda

Options
Hi
I drink WAY too much fizzy juice, I tell myself that its fine because its diet but now I believe thats even worse?

Anyone quite Soda and felt a difference?

Did it help weightloss?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Giving up a zero calorie beverage isn't going to help with weight loss. It will not harm weight loss either by continuing to drink it.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Try mixing sparkiling water with lemon/lime juice or tossing a few strawberry slices in it, instead ... The diet sodas can be dehydrating because of the caffeine ...

Can't type for anything today ... lol ... had to edit my edit ...
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It doesnt have calories, but it has all sorts of addictives that arent great, and certainly not natural. You could try:

- water with lime juice
    -water with lemon juice
    - water with lemon juice, mint leaves, and cucumber slices
    -water with raspberries and lime

they are all quite tasty and refreshing, just make the up the night before and leave them to steep overnight.

Good luck!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I like Fuze Slenderize. Not totally calorie free, but close. Great fruit flavors, and I find it very satisfying.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. Gave up all sodas and lost lots of weight. Good for you.
  • thinwishing55
    Options
    If it's 0 calories then it won't make a difference with actual weight loss. I do believe it can make you bloated though, and make you feel bigger. I am a huge addict. When I run out though, I do feel smaller as I'm less bloated, although it doesn't make a difference in my weight. I think if you can cut it out, it would benefit you. But going by the number on the scale, it won't make a difference. :)
  • ReneeReiser
    ReneeReiser Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. For me, I am on week 2 no diet soda of any kind. Only drinking water. I was stalled for almost 2 months and finally this week I lost two pounds. That was a huge accomplishment since I went too long stuck. No, quitting the soda did not make me lose weight, it was the fact that I replaced drinking soda with more water. I personally feel better and haven't suffered a headache or had any crazy withdrawal symptoms.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Giving up a zero calorie beverage isn't going to help with weight loss. It will not harm weight loss either by continuing to drink it.

this, i lost weight drinking diet coke daily
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda 6 years ago.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If it is a caffeine drink, giving it up won't be comfortable (a week-long headache and fatigue). But I would give them up to get off caffeine.
    I like diet soda as part of my diet right now, it's like a free dessert:)
    I think there's a legitimate need for the acids. But a much healthier way to get those acids would be to drink a cultured drink like kombucha (cultured tea, it's fizzy) or kefir. Try one of those instead. Kombucha is super low in cals ( I like GT Dave's or The Bu), and kefir is really high in protein.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I will never, ever give up my Coke Zero. I just don't like the way the Captain Morgans tastes without it.
  • justinhemker
    justinhemker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I quit regular soda for diet... Then I quit diet. I feel so much better not drinking any soda at all!
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Why no diet soda:
    aspartame makes you hungrier and damages DNA replication. And that means The Big C, Cancer. No thanks!
    caffeine/sodium make you lose water faster and thereby you gain water weight

Why no carbonation 30 minutes before eating:
    bubbles in stomach impede nutrient absorption when it makes it through into your intestine with a meal and malnourishment = weight gain (because your body cannot efficiently burn away the excess fat)

What I drink because I LOVE fizzy drinks too:

seltzer water with 5 -10 drops of stevia sweet drops or other LIQUID stevia product in any flavor, vanilla creme, rootbeer, lemon, etc. Also make sure it is not a thirst quencher, drink water first and if that doesn't do the job and you really want something fizzy to help expand your stomach and get you away from hunger for awhile do this! Just don't eat food until the bubbles are belched.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I drink one diet Sunkist every evening.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's calorie free, so will make no difference to your weight loss. In fact, it satisfies my cravings. I drink it most days and have lost over 50lbs.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why no diet soda:
    aspartame makes you hungrier and damages DNA replication. And that means The Big C, Cancer. No thanks!

bubbles in stomach impede nutrient absorption when it makes it through into your intestine with a meal and malnourishment = weight gain (because your body cannot efficiently burn away the excess fat)
    I've read some un scientific mythology on this forum before but words escape me on this one. Just to say it's a load of rubbish though
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    Why no diet soda:

I've read some un scientific mythology on this forum before but words escape me on this one. Just to say it's a load of rubbish though

um might try my like daily can of diet coke after food then haha
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet soda at home a little over a year ago. I may still have one if I eat pizza or a burger out (maybe once a month), but I won't bring it in the house.

I believe it helped me drop weight because it was a 'trigger' drink--I always had a diet soda with junk food (chips, pretzels, cheez-its, ice cream, fried chicken, etc, etc) and I always had it with ALL meals I ate out, from fast food to 4-star (don't judge).

Once I successfully kicked the habit (by buying some cheap-o off-brand diet cola instead of the tailor-made stuff) the link between soda and junk food was broken and it helped kill some--but not all--cravings pretty quickly.
  • Sophie5987
    Sophie5987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why no diet soda:

Ah, yes. Glad someone else put into words what I was thinking!

My understanding about why diet drinks are not necessarily that good for you is the amount of caffeine. Small amounts of artificial sweeteners have not been shown to have negative effects, and although it has been suggested that the sweeteners can trigger the body to release insulin, I have found no actual evidence of this in a search of scientific papers.

Personally, I think that if I drink more sweet drinks then I want more sweet things so cutting back on the diet drinks helps me, as it also makes me drink more water!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i gave it up. Now I have less cravings for surgery foods or lots of carbs. People say it doesn't make a difference but i think moderation is the key here. I used to drink 4-6 cans of diet coke a day. Thats a lot of sodium and sugar even though it might not have calories. I think my metabolism has jump started since I gave them up as well. Of course, when I was drinking soda it was a lot easier to pop open a can instead of downing my water for the day. As for me, diet coke is like potato chips. I just cant have one! lol