Any 45-50 year olds having to lose 80 lbs or more?

Options
schmin888
schmin888 Posts: 6
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am in that category and would like to reach out and have a few pals on here who truly know that when you get older the weight is harder to take off. I am on my journey and this site is a true help. I love it. Today I lost a pound and so happy it is going down rather than up!!!!! It feels good. Please let me know if your interested in becoming friends....I would be happy to be your encouragement. Let's beat this!!! Let's get in those nice looking clothes!!! Be happy. PS: I am from NY.

Replies

• fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 next Spring and want to lose 107lbs in total - almost half way there. I might not reach my target by my birthday but I will reach it sometime next year.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. As you can see by my ticker I've lost almost 50 and have almost 60 pounds to go. I'd be happy to be of any support I can be. It may be a little harder but it's not impossible.
  • samdeanwin
    samdeanwin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :) Hi, just started. I love the website. How do you post your pciture?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    55 and have about 70-90 lbs to go. It will all depend on body composition when I get there.
  • ventures1
    Options
    This works! I'm over 50, I want to lose another 50 pounds (or 60 or more). Hope to hear from you. Good luck!
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I started last summer (joined mfp in August, I had lost 15 lbs on my own), and didn't really know what I wanted to lose,but was hoping for 85 or so...I've lost 90-92 now, depending on the day. I'm in maintenance now and loving it!!! :D I'm proof it's possible at our our age (I'm 46- and started menopause). If need a little extra encouragement I'm here! :D
  • sandramackenzie1
    sandramackenzie1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am 46 and started mennopause and have gained 20 pounds this year alone! I started fitness pal by a suggestion of my Dietician I want to loose 42 pounds to start , but have a secret goal of 10 more after that. I want to be a size 10 again and be able to walk around with confidence and agility. Can I join you?
  • samdeanwin
    samdeanwin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, looking to join a group in thier 40's, 50s who have gained weight in peri-menpause, and feel helpless. All I want to do is lose the thirty pounds I've gained. I have a real problem because I love to bake cakes and teach students how to decorate cupcakes, and I love sweet things. My doctor told me it's normal to gain weight during peri-menopause so not to sweat it. I don't believe her, she is a size 6 with a oval shaped face, and she is cute, when she's not giving advice on how to age gracefully. I'd love to chat or join a group. I'll even offer directions to decorate cupcakes but you can't eat them!
  • mmkaye
    mmkaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and in the process of losing over 100 lbs....have lost 27 so far and will keep it up! I would love to be friends with anyone who would like a new friend...have so much to lose that I will be here awhile!
  • horsetrainer46
    horsetrainer46 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Debbie. I'm almost 50 (25 days to go!) , and happily I'm finally 5 lbs away from the end of my goal! I want to offer support for those of you who are in the midst of it now. The following is copy/paste from the "why I want to get in shape" section of my profile.

"4 years ago, I was up to 212 lbs and also got very ill with a bacterial lung infection which was extremely debilitating. I have since lost 82 lbs through clean eating and lots of excercise. I will be turning 50 next month. I plan to to be as healthy, fit and strong as I can possibly be, for the rest of my life. I'm 5'8" and currently at 130 lbs and 13.4% body fat. My goal is to ring in my 50th birthday at a final weight of 125 lbs . "

I am a huge stress eater, sugar and carb addict (its like heroine to me!). I have to exercise willpower every single day to keep my lifestyle healthy, even though I feel better now than I've ever felt in my life :-) Though I've never in my life considered myself anyone's inspiration, I do know that my inspirations were women who were older and fit, especially those who have also taken this same journey. So I would love to lend my support and any advice I can give to help others reach their goals. If you fall, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and keep on going! Some days its really tough to eat healthy and get a workout in, but If I could do it, anyone can!!!!! Good luck to all :wink:
  • Rosie5025
    Options
    Hello!

I just turned 50 and am in the "change" also. I have a lot of weight to lose well over 100lbs! Just started a few days ago. Would love to be added for some more people to talk to. Its proof it works. Today I was struggling to staying on track and I posted that. The couple of people who I talk to gave me some encouragement I really needed and it worked, I was able to come out of my slump of feeling alone in this and stay on track!! I really appreciate their words.
    Good luck!
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    just turned 57, have about 60 more to lose. You are doing the best thing you can do - getting started
  • agrant608
    Options
    Hi Ladies :flowerforyou: I'm almost 52 years old and have been steadly losing weight over the last 16 months. I've got another 48 lbs. yet to go but it seems as if the first 58 lbs were the hardest for me to lose. I'd love to add some ladies to my friends list that I can encourage and support and/or be part of a group. I've found that tracking all of my food, running, weight training and P90X have helped me to steadly lose weight. Here's to winning each and every day! :smile:
  • itcanbedone13
    Options
    I'll be turning 50 in May and have quite a bit to lose. I want to be fit, not fat, at 50!!
  • Kboyd415
    Options
    I'm 52 and have 50 to loose (again) = anyone can add me as well.....
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    55, working on it!
    Feel free to add me
  • dlmull
    dlmull Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started mfp today but I've lost 20 lbs in the last three months. I have always been overweight and feel this is nearly impossible, but I've got to keep trying! The posts I've read on here tonight have already been an encouragement. Thanks!
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50 and need to loose 25 lbs. I know it's not the number you asked for in your post, but weight loss is weigh loss, right? It's been stubborn on my own and would love company on the journey.
    (And I'm in NY - but it's a big state!)
  • Justme6969
    Options
    I am 48 and having to lose from 196 to 135 thats about 61 pounds- Im close.
  • sasers
    sasers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am 43 with 67 lbs total to lose. I want to get down to 135 if possible.
This discussion has been closed.