Rant About Track Etiquette

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I would think when others show up its time to run in the correct direction...

^ This.

Walkers should always be in lane 8. Joggers... maybe 7 or 8 if there are no walkers. Fast track work? Grab yourself lane 1 or 2 if available... but honestly the direction thing is big. Many tracks are just counter-clockwise all the time. If you're going the other way, you should be certain you're the one avoiding everyone going in the correct direction.

Yeah, most of your "problems" would be solved if you just ran in the correct direction on the public track. There are going to be all kinds of people using a track like that for all kinds of reasons. It's just life. And it's not really up to you to decide who is working out harder. If a person is elderly or has an injury or disability they may be working out just as hard or harder than you, but you just don't realize it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    So the question is, "I'm very rude and inconsiderate when I'm at the track, but why can't these complete strangers show my some friggin consideration?"

:laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    maybe you should move to Australia. I think it goes clockwise down under.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    LOL 'stralian's like common courtesy..... BTW my track run counter and the OP would get drived if he made up the earlier mentioned track rules as he went...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    LOL 'stralian's like common courtesy..... BTW my track run counter and the OP would get drived if he made up the earlier mentioned track rules as he went...

word
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    *shrug* So people on the Internet want to roll their eyes at my frustration. I'm not exactly going to lose sleep over it xD.

To clarify though:

1. There are no posted rules at the track, save for no dogs, no skateboards, no bikes, just runners/walkers.

2. The track isn't fenced in, and it's on a busy road being that it's a school's track. I really don't care too much if parents want to bring their kids, and you'll notice I never said anything about people with strollers. Lots of times there'll be mom+dad+baby combos who come and dad will push the baby while mom runs a lap, then they swap out. They don't bother me unless they get in my space.

3. Way to make assumptions about a person you have no idea about. I completely get what it's like to have kids.

4. How are all of my problems going to be solved by running counterclockwise like everybody else?? Eh whatever. You guys are pretty much going to think what you want at this point, so have fun with being creative on the insults.

I guess I'm not really surprised that people find the concept of being aware of others' space so foreign. You're probably the same people who stand in the middle of the main aisle at Wal-Mart blocking everybody else off while you spend 20 minutes catching up on the local gossip.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    crying-baby-300x300.jpg

Person makes post about how they can't have common courtesy, but expects others to.

Then gets upset when no one agrees.

The world keeps turning.
  • Otrogen
    Options
    Hah. Common courtesy is showing up, noticing that people are actually doing faster workouts than I am in lanes 2 and 8, and not getting in those lanes. If I was on the level of dumbassery that most of the annoying people at the track are, I'd show up, notice the sprinter who usually uses lane 8 to do his sprints, and get in lane 8 just because whatever that's where I want to be, thus putting myself in his way and forcing him to move, go around me, or take time out of his workout to confront me and ask me to move.

Common courtesy is showing up, seeing the woman with the stroller in lane 1 so that she can watch her kids playing soccer on the green, and choosing another lane -- again, because I don't want to get in her way and there's plenty of room. What on earth is so hard to grasp about that? I'm considerate of others on the track and they only lose that consideration when they neglect to extend it to me. You don't need a big list of track rules to know that you shouldn't put yourself in the way of somebody in the middle of a workout. It'd be like showing up to the gym and seeing one treadmill of 8 in use and trying to get on that one treadmill.
  • dbmata
    Options
    You should really start following the rules, starting with rule #1.

Don't run the wrong direction.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Lol OP MOST 'school tracks' ARE fernced in

A walmart aisle is not a reasonable comparison to a wide open track space
    I get annoyance at walmart.

How will your problems be solved by you whining about how people dont run clockwise?

And since you know there are no posted rules why are you upset about what other people do at the track?
    Not sure i said anything about strollers either or how that even came up but *shrug* oh well

These people that uou complain about are probably complaining about you just as much.,. Why is this human trying to run over my children in the opposite direction instead of just going around?!?!?

Special snowflake syndrom its everywhere:sad:

To make it all better heres a flower :flowerforyou:
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You should really start following the rules, starting with rule #1.

Don't run the wrong direction.

This lol

People get on the track an go. They arent thinking about you as much as you are them *sigh* still dont get whats so hard about going around someone?
  • Otrogen
    Options
    Well, whatever. I tried. Apparently if I pick a wide open space and use it to run clockwise, I'm not allowed to ever be frustrated about anything that ever happens on the track, ever. You people have a nice day :).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This post started lame but hilarity quickly ensued. Worth the 2 minutes! :laugh: :laugh:
  • dbmata
    Options
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just find a track with more competitive athletes and it'll have a better structure. But don't run clockwise... what's wrong with you?
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Done
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You should run with a sword in your hand that has some blood on it. I'm sure people will move out of your way and not be an annoyance.

hahhgahahahahhaha so awesome hahhahahhahahha
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i was a bit surprised to see people walking/running with their dogs on a track, in the midday sun - not sure what i would think if i were running on that same track (i generally prefer a change of scenery :wink:) but those animals must've been baking, and as a dog owner myself i very much frown on that.
    as for the op - being stubborn will only get you a headache - you said yourself there were plenty of free lanes left - so what's it to you to just skip to the next one?
    yeah, maybe it isn't 'fair' that you should have to move, but seriously, if we all had brains and respected one another, wouldn't that be just too boring?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    *shrug* So people on the Internet want to roll their eyes at my frustration

It's not at the frustration - it's at the self-professed rude behaviour of basically running people down and then complaining that others are inconsiderate.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Many many moons ago I would run on my HS track, and there would be people walking, I'd run around them without thinking twice about it. It never bothered me to take the three extra steps, and I was typically doing sprints, and 7 minute miles on distance days. Pretty sad, there's only a 6 year difference in our ages, and you have a massive sense of entitlement. I bet you want me you pay for your health care and college too. I'm just glad that my life focuses more on other people than it does on me, because if I were as self-centered as you I'd be a pretty pathetic excuse for a human being.

Here's a thought, run cross-country, I passed my neighbors this morning on my run, and even as they slowly walked their dog, I had plenty of room to move to the left and go around. Wait, Damn them, they should have gotten out of my way. I'm going to go over there and kick that old mans butt up and around his ears.

Nah, I have better things to do, like, anything.

Rigger