Sunny side up eggs - healthy or not?

Options
So, I've been reallllly craving a sunny side up egg on a piece of whole wheat toast, but I'm not sure if it's exactly healthy, can anyone help me out with this?

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Do you mean a fried egg? If its in a good oil then go for it! I love eggs on toast
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    What would be unhealthy about it? Egg? Totally fine. Whole wheat toast? Totally fine. As long as you're not filling the pan with a quart of oil as well I don't see what the problem is.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sounds healthy - and quite tasty - to me. If you want to make it uber healthy, poach the egg instead of fry it (I use cute little silicone egg poaching cups).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The important question about the healthiness of sunnyside up eggs is related to food safety, at least in the US where commercially produced eggs are likely to have been exposed to salmonella. Although most of us can eat sunnyside up eggs without too much risk, pregnant women, infants, and others who might be more easily susceptible to salmonella should avoid them or use pasteurized eggs.

The safest eggs are those that are fully cooked. That being said, I favor over easy with the whites fully cooked but the yolks still runny. I like to live on the edge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love sunny side eggs. And they're good for you. I've never got sick from one either.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The important question about the healthiness of sunnyside up eggs is related to food safety, at least in the US where commercially produced eggs are likely to have been exposed to salmonella. Although most of us can eat sunnyside up eggs without too much risk, pregnant women, infants, and others who might be more easily susceptible to salmonella should avoid them or use pasteurized eggs.

The safest eggs are those that are fully cooked. That being said, I favor over easy with the whites fully cooked but the yolks still runny. I like to live on the edge.
    You are right about pregnant women and other at-risk people. I avoided runny eggs until I read up at the USDA website and saw that not only is the chance slight, but that the kind of poisoning you might get is almost assuredly a stomach ache.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Delicious.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    this is my go-to protein meal

yum yum yum
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love my eggs sunny side up as well...but I would say that if you are concerned, when you cook your egg, just make sure all of the whites are cooked...I get mine to that point and the yolk still is runny...
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    This is similar to a question I asked early on and I will offer you the same (ish) response that I got

Eggs are good for you
    Eat those eggs before I eat them for you
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy.

Eggs scrambled, boiled, or poached are fine, but looking directly at the sunny side can blind you.

Please use caution if you choose to consume.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy.

Eggs scrambled, boiled, or poached are fine, but looking directly at the sunny side can blind you.

Please use caution if you choose to consume.

lol.
    Eggs are great assuming you are healthy. If you have cholesterol problems it's probably best to limit yolks and stick to egg whites.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So the question is, "is it okay to eat food?"
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to an uncooked yellow in general? Apparently they are way better for you than cooked. I don't see why it would make a difference but I guess the protein structure dies when its cooked so better to eat it raw ?? No thanks! I like poached!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Eggs are super nutritious. They come close to natures most perfect food.

What may not be healthy is obsessing about the healthiness of every single food you eat.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yumm!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs fried in coconut oil (or bacon grease if I've got it!) with wheat or sourdough toast (with BUTTER!) at least 4 times a week. Good stuff.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Eggs are super nutritious. They come close to natures most perfect food.

What may not be healthy is obsessing about the healthiness of every single food you eat.

This! I think that eggs (the whole egg, including the yolk) is as close to perfection as nature gets. Also feel that way about peanut, legumes.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a great source of protein. Enjoy!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've been eating eggs almost daily lately, trying to meet protein goals without going over other carbs(eggs are one of the few things I like that aren't loaded with carbs lol).

Get a non-stick pan and you don't even need oil, just a half-second spritz of cooking spray and you save more calories.