Not eating enough calories

Options
Whenever i enter my info for exercise and food my result is telling me i'm not getting enough of my calorie intake in. i'm not hungry though! am i causing detriment to my weight loss by not eating enough???

Replies

• BBELL6848
    Options
    I'd like more information on this as well; it told me the same thing :(
  • kathleenpenrod
    kathleenpenrod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat enough your body can go into survival mode. your metabolism actually does the opposite of what you want and signals to hold onto fat. if you aren't hungry try eating less big meals and more small ones. that's what really works for me. otherwise, try calorie rich drinks (like smoothies and protein juices) - things that are still good for you but that you can sip on to get those calories in. don't eat too little!
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Whenever i enter my info for exercise and food my result is telling me i'm not getting enough of my calorie intake in. i'm not hungry though! am i causing detriment to my weight loss by not eating enough???

It depends on how low your intake is. Rule of thumb is not to ever go below 1200 - but it depends on your weight, metabolism, etc...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hunger isn't the best way to tell if you've eaten enough. Some people go for years where they don't really eat enough (or the right calories) but because of their lifestyle they don't lose (or they gain!) weight. When this happens, your body adjusts - it won't tell you it's still hungry even though it really needs more nutrition.

I'd suggest you try your best to eat what MFP tells you - if your goal is 1200/day, then eat at least 1200 per day, PLUS at least half of your exercise calories (which MFP adds to your daily goal).

I know it doesn't make sense, since our culture's answer to weight loss is to "eat less" - but sometimes you really have to learn to eat enough (and the right quality foods) to successfully lose weight.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem everyday. But even though I have calories left the protien is too high. One thin piece of lunchmeat and a 1/2 of a chicken beast kills you. Then if you eat a yogurt or a small bowl of cereal or eggwhite omelet, your really in trouble.
    I feel I am eating great but I guess not good enough. It's hard to balance everyday. I guess I have to keep practicing?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think you should always eat 1200+/or your MFP lowest recommended. Any less than that you're asking for a plateau :wink:
    I have the same problem everyday. But even though I have calories left the protien is too high. One thin piece of lunchmeat and a 1/2 of a chicken beast kills you. Then if you eat a yogurt or a small bowl of cereal or eggwhite omelet, your really in trouble.
    I feel I am eating great but I guess not good enough. It's hard to balance everyday. I guess I have to keep practicing?

The protein allowance on here is very low hun - 25% I think? You can reset your percentages by going into settings. I have protein at 35%, fat at 30% and carbs at 35%. There are varying balances you can have. But upping protein will be better for you if you exercise and to stave off hunger.

goodluck :flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think you should always eat 1200+/or your MFP lowest recommended. Any less than that you're asking for a plateau :wink:

The protein allowance on here is very low hun - 25% I think? You can reset your percentages by going into settings. I have protein at 35%, fat at 30% and carbs at 35%. There are varying balances you can have. But upping protein will be better for you if you exercise and to stave off hunger.

goodluck :flowerforyou:

Actually the default is only 15% !!!!! Very low, in my personal opinion.
  • rhettswifey
    Options
    i think i might try adding smoothie a day or something to get my calories up. i am set at 1200 but usually have at least 300 remaining...since i have started this (almost 2 weeks ago) i feel much better but haven't seen but one pound loss, i know that is good but i guess i want to feel it, not just see it on teh scale. i'm excited to move forward!