Soy in products (vent)

Options
2»

Replies

• soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in this, because I have some hormonal issues (I don't naturally cycle, on my own, without meds). I was a vegetarian for years, and consumed huge amounts of soy (never even considered non-gmo, back then). I read the Huff Post article, but I'm wondering how much of this is reputable, and if everyone is sensitive to those effects. Also, how does soy affect someone with a thyroid issue? I mean, does it affect your actual thyroid, or make it harder to lose weight, or something else? I posted something about this, a few weeks ago, but didn't get many bites. I notice that I seem to gain weight more easily, when I eat soy, and I'm wondering if there's anything behind that...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in this, because I have some hormonal issues (I don't naturally cycle, on my own, without meds). I was a vegetarian for years, and consumed huge amounts of soy (never even considered non-gmo, back then). I read the Huff Post article, but I'm wondering how much of this is reputable, and if everyone is sensitive to those effects. Also, how does soy affect someone with a thyroid issue? I mean, does it affect your actual thyroid, or make it harder to lose weight, or something else? I posted something about this, a few weeks ago, but didn't get many bites. I notice that I seem to gain weight more easily, when I eat soy, and I'm wondering if there's anything behind that...
    That article was from Dr. Mercola, it's not reputable at all. That guy is one of the biggest fear mongerer/quacks I've seen, along with Dr. Lustig, Dr. Oz, and Gary Taubes.
  • poupoush
    poupoush Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK this might sound silly, and I'm not American so I'm not aware of all the soy in food products...But East Asian food (Japanese, Chinese) consist of a lot of soy and soybean curd in their diets but have never come across it as having an affect on hormonal balance/imbalance. why is that?
  • missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Options
    I hate that they use it for a filler in EVERYTHING!!! I have PCOS and we should stay away from soy at all cost as it causes us to have HIGH estrogen. I am already looking for fat, carbs, and sugar. Now I am looking for SOY as well. You would be surprised at how much soy is in everything. This is why I had to start making things from scratch because it is in EVERYTHING!!! We wonder why people are getting cancer more these days than they used to. It’s because of the Soy and the Hormones from animals we eat as they put in the Hormones and Antibiotics in the cows and chickens we eat here in America!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    OK this might sound silly, and I'm not American so I'm not aware of all the soy in food products...But East Asian food (Japanese, Chinese) consist of a lot of soy and soybean curd in their diets but have never come across it as having an affect on hormonal balance/imbalance. why is that?
    For healthy human beings, it doesn't cause any problems. It can be problematic for people with specific medical conditions, but that can be said for any food.

The whole "soy is bad" is just a bunch of fear no getting by American marketing geniuses. These guys have people so afraid to eat anything, that they are all willing to pay ridiculous prices for alternatives. It really is marketing genius by the food industry. People are scared of hfcs, so now companies are offering hfcs free versions of products and getting almost double the price for them. People are afraid of soy, so they pay more money for soy free versions. They are afraid of soda, so they pay more for bottles of water instead.

It's really pretty amazing when you look at it from a money standpoint.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would guess that how the food is processed might play more of a role than we might imagine.

Furthermore, I think that the dangers of soy are exaggerated, and this too may play a role.

Lastly, in some countries where soy is popular, they also have many other healthier lifestyles in both their diet, exercise, and levels of stress, which may help the people's health even more than if all things were equal.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I hate that they use it for a filler in EVERYTHING!!! I have PCOS and we should stay away from soy at all cost as it causes us to have HIGH estrogen. I am already looking for fat, carbs, and sugar. Now I am looking for SOY as well. You would be surprised at how much soy is in everything. This is why I had to start making things from scratch because it is in EVERYTHING!!! We wonder why people are getting cancer more these days than they used to. It’s because of the Soy and the Hormones from animals we eat as they put in the Hormones and Antibiotics in the cows and chickens we eat here in America!!
    I agree, Missa!

We not only eat unhealthy foods, but those foods which we *do* eat are processed way too much, and have chemicals (e.g., antibiotics, hormones, etc.) added -and the cows are fed corn, not grass -and over-milked (stressful, affecting the quality of milk, I'm sure). I would respectfully disagree that soy is bad (though some people are allergic to it), but what we eat, HOW MUCH we eat, and the processing and chemicals all play a role. :smile:
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a soy intolerance. I had to completely re-learn how to cook, after being a vegetarian-bordering-vegan my whole life.

Now she regularly gets ill because she'll eat something she assumes is safe (popcorn, hamburgers, and chicken strips were lately culprits) but it's full of soy.

The poor kid can hardly even eat chocolate.

Soy is in EVERYTHING.
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ugh! So sick of so many products having soy in them. Soy lecithin, soy protein, soy isolate, soybeans, soy soy soy!!

Products touting themselves as healthy shouldn't have soy in it, especially the soy that is so overprocessed in American (unlike in other countries) that it actually can interfere with your thyroid.

Stupid soy. My barely function thyroid hates you.

/rant

THIS. I don't know yet if I have thyroid problems (waiting to go the endocrinologist), but I have interstitial cystitis. People with IC are supposed to avoid soy products as much as possible, and you couldn't be more right! It's everywhere! Everything from crackers to ice cream. It's crazy.