Do you take Vitamin Supplements?

Options
ChrisM8971
ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
I was wondering if many here take vitamin supplements?

If so which ones do you use and do you think the brand makes much difference?

Having just started my weight loss journey I decided to start taking them just to be sure lol and just started with my local Lidl's own brand. They seem to contain 100% of lots of things but is their a reason why they are £££'s cheaper than mainstream brands?

Replies

• TooFatFor30
    Options
    I take a few

Green tea - Reduced risk of heart disease and some cancers. Weight management.
    Sea kelp - Weight management. Healthy hair and nails.
    Cod liver oil - Healthy joints. A source of vitamin D.
    Omega3 - Healthy heart (not recommended for men as it increases the chances of prostate cancer by over 40%)
    Vitamin C - Reduced risk of flues and colds

The green tea and sea kelp were from H&B so quite expensive, the rest are from Tesco.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    fish oil, zinc,magnesium, vit b complex and vit c.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    C and D also take ACE as of recently. C is also supposed to be great in cancer battle.
  • FreakoMarco
    Options
    I don't think that the brands matter at all, just look at the vitamins value. Which has more, which is better. Those are cheaper because people don't market and advertise them as much as the mainstream brands
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    D (its still winter here)
    B group, for the B12 (I'm vegan)
    And a probiotic.
    Everything else I get from my food.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just take a multivitamin, fish oil (I'm not a fish eater and I don't otherwise get enough omega-3's) and occasionally extra calcium. I buy whatever's cheap :)
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I take Nature's way all in one multivitamin
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think that the brands matter at all, just look at the vitamins value. Which has more, which is better. Those are cheaper because people don't market and advertise them as much as the mainstream brands

This.

I take an A-Z multivitamin every day, and Omega 3, 6 and 9 every now and again. They make me burp after which then stinks and tastes of fish, so I don't really like taking them! I got my A-Z from Holland and Barrett and they seem to have just about everything in!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am taking:

Hair health complex: with biotin, and all kinds of B vitamins, vitamine D, cystine, zinc, and so on. I always use Forcapil, because it's the only product that really helped me with my hair loss.
    I use these supplements for 3 months with 3 months pause.

Magnesium: for stress at work and boosting my brain, but also for muscular support. I don't mind the brand, I only care about the quantity of magnesium (I hate the pills I have to break in two).
    I never use magnesium outside stressfull times, and then only for a month with at least another month of pause.

At this time I also am taking a diuretic suplement, because I suffer for 2-3 weeks of water bloating (no weight loss puposes). It also has zinc in composition. When I was not taking these I would use aloe vera juice as a full purpose supplement, but I'm not allowed to take it together with diuretics.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I take them, but I don't eat much for fruits and veggies. Doesn't really matter what brand for me. I also take supps for joints(glucosamine/chondroitin), hard work wears em down
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Where to begin: of course a multi-vitamin ( a good idea for anyone). Glucosamine/condroitin (for those of us older, with joint issues, with arthritis, etc. an absolute must). To help the battle against cholesterol, quite a few: fish oil, niacin (plus benadryl to counteract niacin's effects), magnesium, red yeast rice, chromium picolinate. To help raise my Vitamin D level (which everyone should have checked), a Vitamin d-3 tablet. And finally DHEA-25, a testosterone pre-cursor to help boost testosterone to, well, you know.

All recommended and approved by my dull, stodgy family doc.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    But I must emphasize, if you are older, if you have joint issues, if you have arthritis, I cannot stress enough how helpful Glucosamine/Condroitin is. I've had multiple doctors, from orthopedic docs to family docs, and many personal trainers all say the same thing. I was in the gym last week when a trainer was talking with his client and heard a bit of creaking in her joints and told her about it. And I told her about it as well as did my trainer. It has made a huge difference in range of motion, flexibility and overall movement. I cannot recommend it strongly enough.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I take glucosamine/chondroitin for my arthritis, a one a day multivitamin with iron for general health, calcium tablets for bone health and omega fish oils for my heart.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it: I take all my vitamins in gummy form, because I'm a child and can't remember to take them otherwise. This way I get some lovely chewy candy every morning.

I take vitamin D and omega 3 on the recommendation of my dermatologist, plus a women's multi for general health, vitamin C to boost the immune system, and probiotic and fiber supplements to help with my digestion (things definitely - ahem - move better when I take them).
  • dentedcan
    Options
    I take a generic multivitamin just to help cover the micronutrients I might be lacking in my extended caloric deficit. Have a feeling most of it gets pee'd out, but at least I get to chew two gummies as a treat every morning!
  • rirunyan
    rirunyan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take CLA, green tea, and raspberry ketones for weight loss. I take Omega 3, Vitamin D, folate, and biotin too.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Daily multi for 55+ (Schiff), fish oil (purified 1360mg, Puritan's Pride), and a super green powder, to keep up the energy and boost daily greeens. Used to take glucosamine/chondroitin, but since losing weight my joints don't seem to need it. Find something simple that works for you, is my 2 cents worth.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started about 6 months ago taking a daily vitamin. I drink protein shakes for breakfast and whey protein shakes after workouts. I feel much better now.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Great Article on multi vitamins Dottie 27 .

Also here is the latest
    Efficacy Of Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate May Depend On Level Of Osteoarthritis Pain

Feb. 23, 2006 — The popular dietary supplements glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate proved no better than a placebo in relieving osteoarthritis knee pain in most participants of a major national trial

another trial in 2010 confirmed those findings

Here is a great article written by a skeptic who has done taken time to read the research

http://teenskepchick.org/2012/06/28/the-daily-woo-glucosamine-chondroitin/