water retention-Insanity

I have been doing insanity for 2 weeks now and I have alot of water retention (plus 2kg).

How long does this phase last before i stop retaining water like this?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    How do you know that you are retaining 2kg of water? Are you sure there aren't other factors going on?

Also, how much water are you drinking? The best cure for water retention is to drink water. :)
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Hi

From reading on this site, I assumed that an increase in weight during the early stages of insanity is due to water retention. I do feel bloated after a work out. I do drink alot of water. I havent seen any results in terms of inches lost but a 2kg weight gain according to the scales.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Water retention from working out is different than a bloat kind of water retention.

When you work out, there is an increase of glycogen to the muscles which also holds more water. This won't leave you feeling bloated since it's an intramuscular condition. And

If you are feeling bloated, then that is a result of extracellular water retention, meaning it's not a result of the strength training.

Sometimes, with a program like Insanity, there is a small, sharp, increase of actual muscle when a person new to that style of working out does it for the very first time, but again, that would give you a bloated feeling.

But 2kg (almost 4.5lbs) would be a very large amount of either kind of water retention and a really, really high jump in muscle, even for a newbie spike.

But, since you feel bloated, it sounds like there is some non-Insanity related water retention happening, so maybe it's a combination of any of the above and you've just got some extra weight hanging on due to both intramuscular and extracellular water retention, and/or a little bit of muscle that you've gained.

That little bit of muscle is usually in the first couple of weeks, so if it's that, it should drop off. As would any excess of intramuscular water retention. But for the bloated feeling, you might need to increase your water or look at your diet to see if you've added anything recently that may be causing that discomfort.
  • Star_1234
    Water retention from working out is different than a bloat kind of water retention.

When you work out, there is an increase of glycogen to the muscles which also holds more water. This won't leave you feeling bloated since it's an intramuscular condition. And

If you are feeling bloated, then that is a result of extracellular water retention, meaning it's not a result of the strength training.

Sometimes, with a program like Insanity, there is a small, sharp, increase of actual muscle when a person new to that style of working out does it for the very first time, but again, that would give you a bloated feeling.

But 2kg (almost 4.5lbs) would be a very large amount of either kind of water retention and a really, really high jump in muscle, even for a newbie spike.

But, since you feel bloated, it sounds like there is some non-Insanity related water retention happening, so maybe it's a combination of any of the above and you've just got some extra weight hanging on due to both intramuscular and extracellular water retention, and/or a little bit of muscle that you've gained.

That little bit of muscle is usually in the first couple of weeks, so if it's that, it should drop off. As would any excess of intramuscular water retention. But for the bloated feeling, you might need to increase your water or look at your diet to see if you've added anything recently that may be causing that discomfort.

Thanks for the advise. Its definately bloating thats causing the weight gain. Also I have noticed that since I have changed my diet to include more fruit and veg, and drinking loads of water, its causing me to have a slight increase in weight.
  • Star_1234
    I weighed myself today. Im on day 15 on insanity workout and my weight seems to be on 60kg so it seems like i was bloating because my body was adjusting to a new workout/diet.