waking up really hungry!

Options
usually when i wake up i'm looking forward to breakfast (obviously) but my stomach isn't growling like crazy. but it just recently started that every time i wake up in the morning, i am STARVING. is this normal or is my stomach trying to tell me to eat some more calories during the day? i've also recently started lifting (heavy for me) and doing strength workouts at home, along with some cardio. i try to workout at least 3 days a week, sometimes it can be more. i usually net around 1600 calories per day, give or take some. just curious if maybe i should up my cal intake a bit or if this is just because i'm working out more than i used to.

i also forgot to mention that i try to eat clean (most of the time, lol) and my macros usually fall around 45C, 25F, 25P.

Replies

• BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but from what I've gathered on here heavy lifting can make you hungrier. Maybe try and eat some protein right before bed? How long has this been happening?
  • nursek_2010
    nursek_2010 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    it's been going on for maybe about a week. i started lifting heavy about 2 weeks ago
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    That's interesting; I'm never hungry in the mornings and if I eat before 10am I get sort of nauseous.
    If you weren't doing much physical activity-wise before, it would seem like that might cause it I guess?

Ps your macro breakdown is missing 5%
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    it's been going on for maybe about a week. i started lifting heavy about 2 weeks ago

Did you adjust your diet to accommodate the lifting? I think you've nailed your culprit.
  • nursek_2010
    Options
    That's interesting; I'm never hungry in the mornings and if I eat before 10am I get sort of nauseous.
    If you weren't doing much physical activity-wise before, it would seem like that might cause it I guess?

i just noticed that as well, lol. i'm trying to eat at 30P 30F 40P but it usually ends up with about 45C and anywhere from 20-30 fats and protein.
  • nursek_2010
    Options

Did you adjust your diet to accommodate the lifting? I think you've nailed your culprit.

i did adjust my diet by adding more protein and eating more than i was before but i don't know if maybe it's not enough? i get hungry sometimes when i'm going to bed but i don't want to eat right before i go to sleep, not for calorie reasons, just because i get stomach aches if i eat right before bed and it can keep me awake.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    usually when i wake up i'm looking forward to breakfast (obviously) but my stomach isn't growling like crazy. but it just recently started that every time i wake up in the morning, i am STARVING. is this normal or is my stomach trying to tell me to eat some more calories during the day? i've also recently started lifting (heavy for me) and doing strength workouts at home, along with some cardio. i try to workout at least 3 days a week, sometimes it can be more. i usually net around 1600 calories per day, give or take some. just curious if maybe i should up my cal intake a bit or if this is just because i'm working out more than i used to.

i also forgot to mention that i try to eat clean (most of the time, lol) and my macros usually fall around 45C, 25F, 25P.
    Hunger isn't necessarily a request for calories.
    If you try to raise your metabolic rate as an aid to weight reduction, doesn't your body simply "request" more calories in it's effort to maintain present weight?

That’s not really how that mechanism works. Hunger is actually a physical response to a signal from your stomach,or sometimes a sign that you need fluid.Hunger can be triggered by elevated ketones in the blood,as a result of the need for glucose,but elevated ketones (ketosis) actually leads to fat being converted to glucose,then used for energy or glycogen fortification (in the liver).

source= http://askville.amazon.com/metabolic-rate-appetite-increase-point/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2698047
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

i did adjust my diet by adding more protein and eating more than i was before but i don't know if maybe it's not enough? i get hungry sometimes when i'm going to bed but i don't want to eat right before i go to sleep, not for calorie reasons, just because i get stomach aches if i eat right before bed and it can keep me awake.

If you haven't added calories to adjust to heavy lifting, that's why you're starving. I would recommend using the default calories under strength training (under cardio) and eating them all back. So if you lift for an hour, and it gives you 300 (or whatever) calories, eat them, or roll them over to the next day and eat them. And, good job on adding protein, adequate protein is very important.
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was able to fix my overnight snacking and morning starvation with a casein shake before bed. I use the Optimum Nutrition brand but you can choose any brand you like. I also use a couple more oz. of water than the bucket calls for to make it a bit thinner since it is really thick and I am not a fan of thick drinks but it really satisfies me and it helps to repair my muscles all night while I am sleeping since I work out 6 out of 7 days a week.

Just a thought, not sure if you want to do that but it sure does help me. You can get it at GNC buy one get one half off the same product most of the time.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options

i just noticed that as well, lol. i'm trying to eat at 30P 30F 40P but it usually ends up with about 45C and anywhere from 20-30 fats and protein.

Yeah it's pretty hard to hit all the macros spot on; I have a hard time not going over on carbs lol.
    I don't think it would be bad to eat more in the mornings if that's when you're hungriest, or find some foods that keep you full longer. Some foods metabolize slower than others, which can prolong feelings of fullness.
  • nursek_2010
    Options
    thank you all for the input! i do appreciate it. i'm still working on perfecting my macros lol but i do love of carbs that i need to work on! i may try the casein protein, i have heard good things about taking it before bed. and i think i may add ~100 calories to my net for a few days and see how that goes, then take it from there to see if i need to add more or take some away. testing the water! lol