Gaining Weight On Maintenance?!

Options
So I'm not sedentary, persay, and I do get up and walk around, do a bit of exercise, here and there, but MFP still tells me my maintenance calories are 1750 calories.

So I started trying to hit that goal, with school starting and what not (so I can have more energy, and then I'll cut down on calories once I get into the swing of things), but I've GAINED weight?

I went from 126.6 to 128 lbs. in a week.

What's going on? Sure there's been days where I ate more than 1750, but there's definitely days where I ate well under!

Replies

• sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There's a post on here somewhere (helpful, right?) that said that when people are maintaining, they will gain water bloat. So either lose more weight and gain bloat until you're at the weight you want, or accept it :). If its not water weight gain, fiddle with the calories until you stop gaining weight or exercise more and keep the 1750 calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1.4 lbs could easily be water weight. Give it a couple more weeks before you change anything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A week?

Eat 1750 for at least another 4 weeks and then assess.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Another vote for giving it time.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When I change consumption or exercise in either direction water weight and food weight follows. I call them weight adjustments. My first downwards adjustment was between my starting weigh-in and the end of my first week (well, really it continued until the end of my fourth week because that water weight didn't all come off at once, which was immediately followed by an upwards adjustment when I increased my activity level). My tenth upwards adjustment was when I dropped my deficit to 1 lb/week a couple of weeks ago and started lifting more regularly. My eleventh downwards adjustment will be when I increase my deficit again. On average these weight adjustment periods last me a couple of weeks.

So yeah, after 3-6 weeks in maintenance you should have an idea of where you stand, and you might have to ignore the results from the first couple of weeks because it probably won't be a big surplus causing the weight change.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    sample size my friend.

give it 4 weeks and then evaluate
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
    To the first poster: I saw a lot of posts that said that, but I needed some validation, still. Didn't want to think I was going easy on myself and letting it go.
    I'll just keep at it, and see my progress within the next few weeks.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    After several months of maintenance my water weight is +7 pounds. I don't like that so I am going back to losing. For a while I was +3 pounds water weight which I was happy with but it shot up this month.