Creating a Gym plan

Options
I am going to begin a proper gym plan after attending the gym for just under a month. Now that I am comfortable going there and am familiar with and know what equipment they have I am able to sit down and properly plan my weekly workout.

I am mostly using machines at the gym. Both weight and cardio ones. I appreciate people are not really fans of them however I feel more comfortable using them in my workout so please bare that in mind if you have any advice. Obviously I am still a newbie to all this and would be grateful for some feedback! So far, based on the equipment and workouts I know, I have created this plan;

Day One:
Primary target areas: Chest, biceps
Secondary target areas: Triceps, shoulders and back.

Day Two:
Primary target areas: Triceps, Legs and Abs

Day Three
Primary target areas: Shoulders and back.
Secondary target areas: Chest, biceps, triceps,

Day Four:
Primary target areas: Chest, biceps and abs
Secondary target areas: Back

This plan is based on the workout I am doing. When I free lift I obviously target the primary areas but when I use machines, depending on what they are target a secondary area. I hope I am not over working.

I am lifting a combination of free weights and machines currently. I know machines are not as good however I personally feel more comfortable using them and once I feel more secure to move on to only free weights I will do so and make a new plan.

Also, I have take into consideration of my diet which have already changed and have also included some cardio into my routine.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Did you have a question?
  • andrewnd92
    Options
    Obviously I am still a newbie to all this and would be grateful for some feedback!

Maybe should have made it abit clearer! I am really just looking for advice from all the more experienced people on here :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I give this plan a 3/10 WNL. Since you're a noob, don't you think a better idea would be following an established plan instead of making one up from scratch?
  • andrewnd92
    Options
    Like I said, its based on what equipment I know the gym has and what I am capable of doing, since I am a noob. The workouts that I am doing at the gym, whether its free weights or machines, I know the areas they are working. Therefore the plan is pretty much following a basic Monday; Chest, biceps, Tuesday; Triceps, Legs and Abs, Wednesday; Shoulders and back and Thursday; Chest, biceps and abs plan WHICH is a standard noob established plan.

I dont see whats wrong with spaced out working;

Chest (Pectorals) x 3 times a week
    Biceps x 3 times a week
    Legs (Quadriceps, Gluteus, Hamstrings, Gastrocnemius, Soleus) x once a week
    Triceps x 3 times a week
    Abdominal rectus x 2 times a week
    Back (Latissimus dorsi, Rhomboid) x 3 times a week

is 3/10.

So if you think its 3/10, maybe you could give advice and point me in the right direction
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    An established plan has you hitting chest and biceps twice a week but legs and back only once? That doesn't strike you as odd?

It's hard to make suggestions when you set up the road blocks of "doing what you know and what equipment your gym has". Re can suggest the world and you can shoot it down by saying it doesn't fit those parameters.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    don't you think a better idea would be following an established plan instead of making one up from scratch?

This^

But your workout plan seems fine to me, how many sets, reps & what machines etc?
  • andrewnd92
    Options
    An established plan has you hitting chest and biceps twice a week but legs and back only once? That doesn't strike you as odd?

It's hard to make suggestions when you set up the road blocks of "doing what you know and what equipment your gym has". Re can suggest the world and you can shoot it down by saying it doesn't fit those parameters.

Don't get me wrong, I can see from your point of view.

I have seen, although conflicting, articles online that have said you should only work your legs once a week. And I am working the back three times. I was actually concerned that I was over doing my back!

Here is the established plan my plan is based off; http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Build-Muscle-Step-12.jpg
    But your workout plan seems fine to me, how many sets, reps & what machines etc?

Thank you! Conformation I am in the right area at least is what I wanted. I am working as many sets I can into a 20 minute window of working each area. E.g. 20 minutes working on the chest. Usually I do 12 reps in a set. 30 second rest then repeat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    A month of training? And still haven't left the machines, but is on a split system?

My advice if you split: chest, back and arms 2 days a week
    quads, hamstring, calves, and shoulders 2 days a week

Focus on learning the exercises on freeweights down pat. Stick to program till you do learn it proficiently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition