Eating fruit for health

Options
2»

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    fruit is healthy in moderation just like anything else....however if you have diabetes you do need to watch it more closely...as a former type 2 diabetic I couldn't sit and eat 20 grapes while that may not seem like many to most but for me it would shoot my glucose into the 200's...its all about the individual....a few days ago I saw a post encouraging a woman to eat as much fruit as possible disregarding the fact the Dr told her to eat 2 small fruits per day...nearly everyone on the post told her that her Physician was out of her mind....and that no Dr would tell someone to eat only 2 small fruits per day...again people need to consider the individual with all cases ...some of us are "snowflakes" as much as I hate the term....I am one.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh.

*continues sipping organic banana pineapple mango chia green smoothie*
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    smh. If we were talking just fructose with nothing else, I'd give it more of a thought but no.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That's one of the things about the internet, isn't it? You can always find validation for whatever belief you already hold.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not just straight fruitose. It contains alot of fibre and very important vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It has some of the highest good nutrients in it of any food (after green leafy vegetables). The fibre slows the absorbion of fruitose so the effect you describe from the paper doesn't actually apply except perhaps if you were drinking juice with all the fibre removed.
    Fruit has many anticancer properties. So if you decide to avoid it you are really missing out and possibly affecting your long term health. That is why it is recommended by all government food guidelines!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    There are two more interesting findings from this work. One is that some people don't absorb fructose, so even when they eat it, it doesn't get metabolized and so this chain of events doesn't occur. They are all those dreadful people who eat tons of rubbish, don't put on an ounce of extra fat, and have limitless energy. (The undigested fructose, however, does end up in the intestines, and promotes the growth of bad, "pathogenic" bacteria, leading to other kinds of problems later.)

You miss understand fructose malabsorption. Nothing hangs around in the intestines of those who have it, and have consumed a significant amount of fructose. Everything they've eaten blows through them as though they've overdosed on laxatives they didn't need to begin with. Just an fyi.
  • Deroboy
    Deroboy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The other finding is practically the opposite; that many people manufacture fructose from starches. So perhaps they ate wheat, for example, which doesn't contain fructose, but their bodies create fructose from that, leading to the same problems.

Glucose is converted to fructose by everyone as a part of glycolysis: the metabolic pathway through which all cells derive energy from glucose.