Need to reset goals and have questions (long, sorry)

Options
Kierda
Kierda Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
The last time I weighed myself was 97 days ago, just after I'd hit a plateau that lasted 3 months... I had changed my calories from 1200 to 1700 based on how much I was exercising and the road map post everyone raves about. It appears I have basically maintained the weight I was at for the past few months, but gained inches. :(

It has been months since I actually did any regular exercise. My kids just started school and I walk half a mile to and from school three times a day, 5 days a week now. I didn't do that last time I was logging/exercising. The walk takes 10 minutes each time for a total of 60 minutes walking a day. How does that change how I calculate my level of activity?

I don't necessarily want to count that walking as my actual exercise for the week because it is very low intensity. VERY. I actually would prefer to do some weight lifting in the early mornings and while my youngest is at school for a half day. I like Cassie Ho's short workouts to songs and I do the inner thighs, butt and candle stick dippers videos every so often, and I sometimes do push-ups on the kitchen counter while I wait for coffee to brew or for the oven to heat up...

I have weak ankles and wrists and costochondritis that flairs up if I go too hard, but I've got time and no excuses now.

So here are my stats as of about 10 minutes ago. :)

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 160lbs
BMI: 27
BMR: 1500 Calories
TDEE: Maybe 2325 if walking 60 minutes a day counts as exercising 5 days a week..., 2063 if that doesn't count. I don't sit on my *kitten* all day. I'm a stay at home mom and that means I kind of have spurts of heavy movement and times when I get to sit a second or two lol

So... I dunno, I am nervous that I screwed up my metabolism if 1700/day had me actually maintaining, and I'm nervous that eating that way and just walking to/from the kids' school won't be enough, but I don't want to eat more or less, really. I took those months off (got lazy, really) but I eat pretty much the same way I did before, which isn't bad.

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• Kierda
    Options
    Bump...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    So over these months were you meticulously tracking your intake to 1700 calories daily?
  • Kierda
    Options
    No. But my diet is pretty bland and limited in variety, so if I told you I ate the same basic breakfasts, lunches, dinners when I *was* logging, as when I *wasn't* for the past 3 months, and I'm roughly the same weight I was then, does that help?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been logging accurately for the past couple of months, you may want to consider logging everything again while eating 1700 calories. If you haven't had any progress doing that after 4 weeks, it may be time to tweak your numbers.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been logging accurately for the past couple of months, you may want to consider logging everything again while eating 1700 calories. If you haven't had any progress doing that after 4 weeks, it may be time to tweak your numbers.

^^ this. Also, if you weren't using a food scale before, I would suggest it now. Once you know your logging is accurate you can start tweaking your calorie goals.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    the best thing you can do for yourself is to go have your metabolism actually measured, instead of relying on an estimate.

People here are far too passionate about the particular diet religion they subscribe to, or I'd offer some science to show you how to figure out your actual caloric needs. It suffices to say that if you're gaining weight, it's probably best to adjust your intake accordingly.
  • Kierda
    Options
    Thanks you guys. :)
This discussion has been closed.