Home swap holiday?

Options
RBrigzy
RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
I was just wondering if anyone has ever done a home swap holiday USA/UK or other combination ?

Looking to pursue a dream to visit USA, have a nice home here - but not a huge income ..

:)
Richard

Replies

• adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's a pity I rent a pitifully small apartment. Hope someone has some nice digs to swap so you can live the dream! I want to visit that side of the pond someday. Gonna walk all along England's mountains green. A friend of mine says I have to go with her and her husband to be when they go.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Mountains - oh now your on my subject!

On holiday (just a few days back) we went to climb a mountain called Blencathra - via Sharp Edge.

Here's a pic
    http://www.summiteer.co.uk/August 10/Northern Edge/Sharp Edge.jpg

We first attempted the route via Sharp Edge (the knife edge ridge you see in the middle) about 6 years ago -2006 but the children were not up for it / and were too frieked out as Sharp Edge it is quite exposed.

This year though - I was quite moved as they bravely led me up the route.

:)
  • msclairuk
    msclairuk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do that, but I'd be worried letting strangers into my home. I guess I could get friends and neighbours to double check they weren't ransacking the place lol. I've seen a TV programme about families that did that a few years ago.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd be in -- but I'm in Canada, outside of Toronto. 3 bedroom home, 1 acre lot, on a pond, close to Stratford, St. Jacobs, etc.
    We actually looked into this a couple of years ago, but the website recommended highest (I forget which one it was), wanted a deposit of a couple hundred to register..
    You have to determine if you are including your cars too for the exchange. We wanted to end up somewhere in Europe for 2 weeks.

oh - and determine what to do with your family animals (i.e., we have 2 dogs).
  • msclairuk
    Options
    I just had a peek at a website that claims to arrange house swaps. I'm not sure how it all works but It does sound like they want you to pay up a joining fee.
  • msclairuk
    Options
    Re pets
  • msclairuk
    Options
    2 dogs shouldn't put people off (I work for the UK's largest dog charity as a behaviourist :)
    But I guess if you were unsure if the person your allowing to use your home 'like pets' you could always arrange them to go into temporary boarding or get a family member to look after them. This post has made me want to look into this a bit more. Does sounds great as I guess the only real cost is flights really as the accommodation is sorted. Just dreaming of places to visit lol
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    2 dogs shouldn't put people off (I work for the UK's largest dog charity as a behaviourist :)
    But I guess if you were unsure if the person your allowing to use your home 'like pets' you could always arrange them to go into temporary boarding or get a family member to look after them. This post has made me want to look into this a bit more. Does sounds great as I guess the only real cost is flights really as the accommodation is sorted. Just dreaming of places to visit lol

I've always thought it would be a great way to travel and see the world!
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    I wonder what the websites actually do for you apart form advertise your interest - I would have though that could be done via forums.

I have been thinking about the trust thing - I think it can work because if you are swapping then the person/family you are swapping with are trusting you too - so I guess you establish that friendship / trust relationship. Perhaps you would be more likely to develop trust from making friends with people abroad before suggesting a home swap holiday?

I have only a few friends here - but I treasure them and am delighted to exchange thoughts and ideas and hear about life and culture in another land.

So perhaps then - this is a better place to connect with people who like the idea - and it won't be prayed upon by people up to no good - as they would head for home swap websites?
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Let me know if you ever fancy doing a house swap to Japan! :happy:
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    It's a pity I rent a pitifully small apartment. Hope someone has some nice digs to swap so you can live the dream! I want to visit that side of the pond someday. Gonna walk all along England's mountains green. A friend of mine says I have to go with her and her husband to be when they go.
    I don't think it matters what you have to swap - there are many small apartment lifestyles here - and I am sure they would like to swap to something similar. It is the culture swap that would be so appealing - well it is to me anyway - cause my head is full of american TV show I watched as a kid - and I am still impressionable at 45 !

Edit:
    Some of favorites : Six Million Dollar Man, House on the Prairie, Dukes of Hazard