How do you stop yourself?

Options
How do you stop yourself from walking into that kitchen and just demolishing everything in sight?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I chew gum, I drink water, I try to occupy myself, or I get out of the house.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy things that I would be tempted to binge on (to an extend, considering I have kids). Otherwise, I just tell myself that it will take 30 seconds to eat and 2 days to lose that weight... not worth it!
  • goal85inmind
    Options
    close your eyes and count to 100 and walk back out of the kitchen
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to remind myself how lousy I'll feel afterwards and how bad it will look when I record it all - and yes, I would record it all.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy things that I would be tempted to binge on (to an extend, considering I have kids).

I do the same.

I also take my shirt off and go look at myself in the mirror.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest problems I have is I eat when I get bored. I know that if I am obsessing over food it is because i am not busy doing something else. Try getting out for moment and refocusing on something else!
  • zozzyj
    zozzyj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it difficult to eat/enjoy food if I've just brushed my teeth. When you get that temptation to go to the fridge, try brushing your teeth or gargling with mouthwash instead.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Chew gum, drink water, go for a walk, think about why I'm doing what I'm doing.
  • tammydspice
    Options
    Sit and log what you think you may eat and have a look at it, just thinking about logging it usually stops me!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Drink water.

Remind yourself why you're wanting to originally lose weight.

Become inspired by others.

Repeat.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've started thinking more about what I eat. (Usually. Last night, I was famished by the time dinner came and overate before I could even think about what I was doing.)

But for me, things that taste good are my downfall. So I stop and think-- how much do I need to have that "good taste"? A lot of coworkers bring in cookies, treats, etc. And I can stop at one now (if it fits for my day), because if I eat more than one, or enough to "get my fill," I usually end up feeling sick and miserable, and the 3rd or 4th didn't taste any better than the 1st.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals the night before so if isn't on the log for the day it doesn't get eaten!
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to remind myself how lousy I'll feel afterwards and how bad it will look when I record it all - and yes, I would record it all.

Yeah, I always log what I eat even when I have a bad day. For some reason it does help a lot.
  • charlita321
    charlita321 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    great idea think it threw!! :flowerforyou:
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Logging everything helps.

Also, remember you can always log onto the forums here and talk it through. There's always someone else online that can talk you down.
  • afanco
    afanco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Demolishing a kitchen is good exercise. I know I need to do some remodeling.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I drink 8 oz of water and wait 10 minutes. Usually my cravings subside, and I'm on to something else. We often mistake thirst for hunger.
  • verbatima
    Options
    I get on the scale every single day. It can be maddening since day-to-day weight fluctuates, but it creates accountability. Whenever I feel like demolishing the kitchen like a cartoon Tasmanian devil, I just remember that I'll have to get on the scale in a few hours. It does the trick.

Logging absolutely everything you eat is also very effective.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I allow myself to have certain treats in moderation. when I'm tempted to go back for seconds or thirds I remind myself not to sacrifice what I want long term for what I want right now....

Then I drink a big glass of water
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    there's nothing good in there =P We stick to the grocery list and don't bring crap into the house.