popcorn fat percentages!

Options
Okay, I'm getting pretty frustrated with popcorn nutrition labels. In front of me I have the Orville Redenbacher's 100% whole grain butter mini bags. It is not in the database so I was going to add it. How are we suppose to convert the fat grahams. Total fat is 14g for UNPOPPED; which is 22% of the daily value but when popped it is 17%. I know that is not that much difference but I find it more annoying than anything else. Anyone have a math equation to figure this out?

Replies

• heatypablo
    Options
    I would use the popped percentage... unless you are going to eat it unpopped. :indifferent:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    i think the difference is because not all of the oil ends up on the popped popcorn. it coats the inside of the bag and the unpopped kernels.

I really hate the labeling on popcorn bags. Just tell me straight how many calories for how much popped popcorn! It's stupid that they list unpopped information....who eats unpopped popcorn?
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Check to see if the units of measure are different for kernel vs popped.
    Is one value for the contents of the bag and another for a serving size?
  • clovebud
    Options
    I know why the percentages are different and no, I don't eat the kernels. I want to know HOW to write down how many fat grams are in the bag when they give you to the total grams for unpopped and clearly that is not how much you are consuming.

Yes, It3ag4s: the unit of measure is different.

Heatypablo: how can I log the percentage when they are asking for grams? Hence my dilemma.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I don't have a math equation but can you kinda back it out by using the 4 calories of carbs per gram, 4 calories of protein per gram, 9 calories of fat per gram thingy and add it up to the calories per serving and then figure out the percentage for the 2000 calorie a day diet from there?
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    YOU MADE ME DO MATH

10.8181818181818181818181 grams of fat popped

from the algebra I learned something like 50000 years ago I did the 14/22 equals x/17. Then 14x17 = 22x. Then I got 10.81818181

don't make me do math again. now I need a nap.

:D
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    Ok - I got confusing with the x's and times so I will use another value

14/22 = z/17. Then 14x17 = 22z. Then I got 10.81818181
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Math is hard. -Barbie

(Wow, I totally googled the quote and it's not even the right one. It's really "math class is tough" but I think "math is hard" has a better ring to it.) :smile:
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    conversion calculators are my friend ... It prevents me from having to do math and therefore saves my sanity

http://www.infoplease.com/pages/unitconversion.html

:)
  • tsamplawski
    tsamplawski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    About 11 grams
  • clovebud
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!!!! Thank you. I knew there was a math equation somewhere in there. I'm sorry you had to do math, but thank you for figuring it out!
  • gambitsgurl
    Options
    ;-)

it burned 200 calories when my brain exploded so it's all good :D
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    we burn calories doing math??? COOL

I'm going to help my son with his homework more often!