Why the Bad Rap on Canned Veggies ?

Options

Replies

• ramda01
    ramda01 Posts: 3
    Options
    To me frozen tastes awful !
    Fresh or Canned (No Salt, No Sugar Added) as our stores have them around here. As far as BPA so what ! there's so much pollution in the air alone its not going to make that much difference.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a farm, so I'm just more used to fresh vegetables. Canned just doesn't taste as good to me. It doesn't even take like vegetables. I have several bags of frozen green beans from the garden in the freezer, and I'm drying out some others. Delicious. I agree with others that said canned is better than nothing, but I still prefer fresh or frozen.
  • stepplax
    stepplax Posts: 26
    Options
    But canned peas are so sweet, smooshy, and delicious!!!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    personally, i like canned beans (as in kidney beans or chick peas), corn and tomatoes. the other stuff, i prefer fresh or frozen - yeah, the cans may last until the next ice age, but seriously, anything that expires more than a few months down the road is a wee bit creepy.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I eat fresh 90% of the time and prefer that to anything, but when I do eat canned, I get the 'no salt added' varieties. I prefer canned over frozen.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    For me its fresh, then frozen then canned in the most part, but there are some exceptions.

Peas, frozen every time for me, so simple and easy

Tinned tomatoes for cooking, don't have the time to work with fresh here most of the time.

Broad/Fava Beans, while best fresh to me are absolutely fine frozen and the pickers seem to catch them at the right age better than I do lol

I actually prefer tinned sweetcorn, but look for the ones with no added sugar or salt.

What I have done this year is grow climbing green beans, courgettes & carrots in pots and new potatoes in bags on the patio. They take up very little space and provide plenty when you don't feel like a trip to the shops :-)
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yep frozen are the way to go. They last practically forever, & generally are more vitamin enriched than fresh due to being frozen straight away versus picked, stored, transported.

^^^^THIS ^^^^
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A lot of canned vegetables come is low sodium varieties.
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    They just look gross to me. I mostly use fresh if its a side dish but if being used in a recipe I will use frozen.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the mushy texture of canned. I only buy canned veggies like black beans or chick peas (I buy low sodium when I can and rinse them well) or when I'm making soups (since all the flavor pretty much melds together and they're going to get mushy anyway :] )

Of course fresh is the best, but if you can't get to the store as often as you'd like to stock up, then go frozen!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Mostly due to sodium. Also, canned vegetables are generally partially cooked (too mushy for my liking) and not well suited to the way I want to prepare them. I prefer fresh but will choose frozen over canned if I have to go there.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Meh, horses for courses. Unless you're buying from the farmer's market, frozen veg are just fine and may be better than "fresh" in terms of nutrients, because they haven't been sitting on trucks, trains and supermarket shelves forever. I personally love canned green beans and peas, and pretty much all vegetables, actually. But I'll happily eat frozen too, or just raw for a lot of them; I just hate washing and chopping, so that's usually a salad bar thing for me.

At the end of the day, if it's a choice between eating a serving of vegetables or not, the format is not so important. Just getting in your five a day puts you ahead of the curve!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It was a gradual process for us. I can't point to one (or even two or three) reasons that I can remember for why we made the switch. But, after eating fresh, and sometimes frozen, veggies, I can't go back. There is a huge taste and texture difference and for me, that is why we don't eat canned very much anymore. However, I do have some on hand for emergencies that we have to rotate through every now and then. That's what they're good for: the apocolypse. :wink:
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies are preferable to me. Sometimes that isn't possible though. The canned vegetables I eat are canned BY ME so I know what is in them. It's an old fashioned skill, but well worth learning just so you know what the heck is in the food you open. I also pickle the smack out of veggies but for those who have problems with sodium that's not a good option.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies are preferable to me. Sometimes that isn't possible though. The canned vegetables I eat are canned BY ME so I know what is in them. It's an old fashioned skill, but well worth learning just so you know what the heck is in the food you open. I also pickle the smack out of veggies but for those who have problems with sodium that's not a good option.

When I was a kid, my dad kept a garden (he still does) and my grandmother would can the vegetables and tomatoes, make pickles (both dill and bread and butter), and generally cook really great fresh food and desserts. Now that I am getting healthy, I am really interested in not only learning to can, but also getting my hands on her recipes (or similar ones online). I really didn't appreciate it enough when I was growing up.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat canned veggies and beans because they are high in sodium.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I get canned beans and canned diced tomatos, all low sodium, and they taste GOOD! i use that in chilli or stew type things. YUMMY!! the canned tomatos are kinda sweet, so they make a good sauce!
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I grew up with most of my vegetables coming from cans so I don't mind them. Pickled beats and green bean salad I always use canned. I've been known to just eat a can of peas for dinner. And sometimes I just crave canned potatoes fried in butter and pepper.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

When I was a kid, my dad kept a garden (he still does) and my grandmother would can the vegetables and tomatoes, make pickles (both dill and bread and butter), and generally cook really great fresh food and desserts. Now that I am getting healthy, I am really interested in not only learning to can, but also getting my hands on her recipes (or similar ones online). I really didn't appreciate it enough when I was growing up.

There's a Facebook canning group that is HUGE (10,000+ people) and full of very experienced folks who are a valuable resource. If you are interested in it please send me a private message and I'll pass along the info. :smile:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    90% or more of my vegetables or fruit I try to have fresh.

I also use frozen (especially for things that go IN something like soups or fruit for smoothies). They are easy and keep a long time.

However, I do also keep canned on hand. This way I know I have SOMETHING I can turn to in a hurry. I plan my meals in advance so I usually have everything on hand, but sometimes I go to make dinner and then go "SHOOT forgot to get *vegetable* to have on the side." At least then I know I can go into the panty and have a choice of something.