I'd like to incorporate lifting into my exercise routine...

Options
I've been running, but would like to add lifting to my exercise routine. I don't, however, have a gym membership, and cannot afford one (in both money & time). Is it possible to include some type of lifting? Would an investment in dumbbells be sufficient?

How would I formulate a lifting program?

Replies

• Azkadelia
    Azkadelia Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing replies on this too! Thanks for posting.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you could afford a bar, plates, bench and rack, you'd probably get a bit more out of it than dumbbells for the price. Adjustable dumbbells are nice, but expensive, and there's always plateloadable ones. Definitely skip buying the little hand held weights that come in 2, 5 & 8 pounds, imho.

You could also get a set of heavy resistance bands fairly inexpensively or look into a progressive bodyweight program.

There are tons of programs out there. The All Pro's beginner Routine on the bodybuilding.com forums is a good, basic program. The New Rules of Lifting (Original or For Women) is good, too. I did Madcow's 5X5 for awhile and liked that. I also like Wendler's 5/3/1 program. Both of those last two are lower reps programs. nerdfitness.com has good resources for bodyweight stuff, and lots of people like You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning. FitnessBlender.com has some bodyweight stuff as well as videos that use dumbbells.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and it has been working great for me. I have a dumbells and barbells that I use along with a bench.

I researched a lot online before I started. Google and YouTube are great for this. I do mainly compound lifts and I have seen a huge difference in my body...more bang for your buck so to speak.