I am all hot and sweaty ...

Options
Hi,

It doesn't matter what I do at the gym - C25K, bike riding, cross trainer, or just treadmill walking (fast pace) or a bit of all of the above, but I work up a huge sweat and am very red in the face. Ok I understand I have to sweat, but really (my t-shirt and track pants are saturated) - to the point that I get asked quite often if I am ok! I don't think it is the sweat that makes people curious, I am pretty sure it is the beetroot redness I get in my face :blushing:

Now before I see my GP, just curious if anyone else suffers from this problem or am I/is it normal? Has anyone heard of this? Am I putting too much effort in (I really have tried to slow things down but really no change in sweat/redness). Is it just that my body is ridding itself of nasty toxins? :huh:

I warm up, stretch, cool down etc and it still takes like 1 hour before redness abates. Sweating abates around 5 to 10mins after exercising. I exercise usually at the gym, 1 to 1.5 hours, 5 x week and my muscles/bones are not stiff/sore. I do have high bp and am on medication for this (hoping to stop soon). Does anyone think this is a factor?

What do people think. Any suggestions welcome :smile:

Replies

• luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do u have a BP monitor at home?? Maybe take it with u to the gym and take your BP when this redness starts, and then retake after 10 minute rest.. But still need to talk to yr DR, maybe your BP meds may need to be adjusted as you lose weight..

Rigorous exercise raises our heartbeat ( good thing ) BUT it also raises our blood pressure as heart tries to beat faster and harder to keep blood in demand..

Good luck and check with yr Doctor :)
  • odatcindy
    Options
    I'm the same way and it scares my co-workers. I'm not sure what causes it, because I wear an HRM. My average heart rate when I run an 11-minute pace is 165, which is above my fat burning zone, but within my endurance zone. I can't offer you any more advice, though. Just know you are not alone. And my sweating kicks in after I stop exercising. I never realized I could sweat, but boy can I.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I don't even have to be working out! My car doesn't have a/c, so when I drive, even with the windows down, my back sweats Its really gross!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Just yesterday I was walking with my friend, and she told me my face was all red. And not only that, when I sweat, I noticeably sweat from my head -- soaking wet hair, which is really embarrassing! But I know my dad is the same way, so maybe it's in the genes!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Nope, you're not alone. Must be genetic cause my 3 sisters get beet read and sweat like crazy too. Like trisha329, my head/hair gets soaking wet. When I'm exercising in the house, I actually wear a sweat band (can't believe I am admitting this) otherwise I'd be wiping my forehead the whole time. My boyfriend just walks by the bedroom and shakes his head. :laugh:

But sorry, don't have an answer as to why.
  • gupton11
    Options
    Some of it probably genetics, some of it is possibly a response from your metabolism.

http://www.justinowings.com/b/linked.php/acheiving-the-hgh-flush-in-a-workout
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I guess as far as the sweating goes I'm just a little more than average, but I get the very red face when working out. I expect it during exercise, but the one thing I've found that helps me get back to normal at the end of my workouts is a really good, long cool down. If I am pushing it on the treadmill and really working hard, I take extra time slowing it down to a light jog, then walking at a quick pace, then taking it down more to a casual stroll. I'll spend an extra 10 minutes on the treadmill, but it helps. Plus I tack on a long stretching session at the end. It's like it brings me down again and calms my body (and my ridiculously red face).
  • enromero
    Options
    I am the exact same way!! I can be on the elliptical for JUST a few min and my face turns bright red! However this also happens to me if I have to talk infront of ppl I dont know even though I dont get nervous talking infront of ppl, it also happens if I get mad. I always just figured it was cause I am a red head and VERY fair skined!

Erin
    SW (3/1/10) 241
    last weigh in (9/5/10) 198
    *only weighing in about once a month or longer*
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sometimes medication you are taking can cause sweating.
  • lonypony
    lonypony Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yaaay - I am not alone, well you never are on MFP :happy: . Thanks everyone for your replies. Trisha and Lisa, yep my head/hair is like I just got out of the shower! Everyone was most helpful and yes I will still be going to the dr.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    A lady in my morning gym classes always mentions how she is sweating so bad all the time and dripping all over. She's big but not really heavy and she is very muscley and stronger than I am when I am leaner. She gets pretty red too. In the same class, even with a decent heart rate between 135 and 170 I (a rather well-hydrated person!) sweat hardly at all. Like barely ever enough to sweat through any shirt. LIke you, I've always been that way, only opposite!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am so white naturaly that when I turn red everyone says something. I love, love love having my own treadmill. I am saving the gym for the weights and at home I sweat myself ugly.
  • ppennington
    Options
    Trisha, it's probably nothing serious but I do think you should talk to your doctor about it.
  • zeorimer
    Options
    Nope, you're not alone. Must be genetic cause my 3 sisters get beet read and sweat like crazy too. Like trisha329, my head/hair gets soaking wet. When I'm exercising in the house, I actually wear a sweat band (can't believe I am admitting this) otherwise I'd be wiping my forehead the whole time. My boyfriend just walks by the bedroom and shakes his head. :laugh:

But sorry, don't have an answer as to why.

Off subject how did you get Edward on your ticker!!!
  • lonypony
    Options
    I am so white naturaly that when I turn red everyone says something. I love, love love having my own treadmill. I am saving the gym for the weights and at home I sweat myself ugly.

I did use my own treadmill for a while but the motor blew up. I love going to the gym and don't want to give it up, I just put up with my sweat and redness. It is just sometimes embarassing when you flick your head and everyone gets drenched! I have noticed not many people stay near me for long - Is that a good or bad thing :laugh:
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Are you sure sure getting enough water?
  • runrgrrl
    runrgrrl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fear not my friend...this is quite normal. One way that your body makes sure it doesn't overheat is by sweating, of course, but your body also increases blood circulation to the skin's surfaces, so the heat can be radiated off (smart bod). Warm, oxygenated blood rushes to your face, turning it that bright red color. It's receiving lots of healthy blood, bringing nutrients to your skin and carrying away toxins.

If you are noticing other symptoms besides a red face, like dizziness, fatigue, or nausea, you may be in danger of becoming overheated.

Needless to say, I am a marathon runner with a resting HR of 58 bpm and when i exercise or run for that matter, i go beet red...I have been asked countless times at the end of a race or even in the gym, if i am alright.

As long as you are not feeling faint, dizzy or nauseous...its completely normal.

However, I feel your pain as we look like we are dying. btw, i too sweat like a wild animal, hahaha.
  • lonypony
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. Yes I drink plenty of water, I don't feel dizzy, nauseous or fatigued. So I'll just go straight ahead and keep doing what I'm doing.
  • blbond82
    Options
    I'm the same way.....sweat a lot and red face. I'm very fair skinned and think that is part of why I show red so easily. Some of us are just "lucky" to be so colourful! lol
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm very much the same hun. I go beetroot and sweat buckets even in yoga to the point where it drips on the mat off my head! like you also the red takes about an hour to go away. I have had my blood pressure checked regularly, and it's always the same 110/65!
    I always think of it as a mini-facial - there ain't nothing staying in those pores of mine!