Replies

• Vee7889
    Vee7889 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You need to plan your meals beforehand. Find combinations that will give you your base daily calories. If you exercise, then add in small meals or snacks.

Example: I need 1480 calories without exercise. So for bfast, I eat around 300 cals with a hot grain cereal, whole milk, honey and some fruit, plus some coffee with milk and sugar. For lunch, I eat one or two sandwiches (depends on how active I've been.). Thats about 500 cals. For dinner, I eat a lot of veg, some starch or carb and a protein like egg, meat or fish. Thats around 600-700 cals. If I exercise, its usually around 400-1000 calories. I make my decision if and how much I need to exercise depending on my meal plan, and plan snacks accordingly. Sometimes its a bit more at each meal, or a snack between meals, or even a special treat after dinner (mmm pudding).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Drinking 30 cups of water in a day might make it more difficult to get enough food in.

This ^ Stop drinking 30 cups of water. Do you realise too much water is not good for you? Is there a reason you did that?

Actually, while the age-old recommendation is 8 cups of water daily, that should really be viewed as a minimum. Many online calculators suggest much more. Based on my weight (which, granted, is pretty high), the calculator I just used suggests 26+ 8-ounce cups daily and that does not account for exercise, excess heat, dry climate, pregnancy, breastfeeding, high altitude, etc. For the record I never get that much in unless I'm working physically in the heat (when I definitely do!), but I don't feel like more would be bad. I think I'm at 10 or 11 today. I am not diabetic and do not take any medicines that would cause unusual thirst.

Others say 2.7 liters for women, 3.7 for men, again not accounting for any other factors, but just as a base amount. In any case, some of this would also come from food.

In a healthy adult, the kidneys can filter and excrete 15 liters of water a day. which is over 63 cups per day. If an individual had a very low sodium diet, renal problems, etc, of course adjustments would need to be made. But just because we've all heard "8 cups" doesn't mean it's correct. Thirty cups is a lot, but it isn't ridiculous, by any means, and the chances of ill effects such as water intoxication are unlikely unless she's trying to drink it all at once.

All of this having been said, however, there must be room for fuel as well. You can eat healthy choices and still include more calorie-dense foods, and in order to have continued success, you'll need to, in my opinion. But then, you know that. : )

I think there were some great suggestions earlier in the thread to help get you going in the right direction with that. Good for you for being open to making adjustments for continued success. :)

30 cups is rediculous in my eyes when there is no need for it and they want to be able to eat more.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I DONT UNDERSTAND. why cant you just eat. put the food in your mouth, chew, swallow. i just finished a bulk at 3500cals and now im cutting at 2000. i miss my food.
  • fatslayer93
    Options
    I kind of have thew same problem. But thanks for everyones advise. I guess I gotta start eating more healthy fats to get my calories in :)
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    Drinking too much water can be very dangerous and can even be fatal due to the sodium imbalance that it might cause. Please see, for example, http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/water-intoxication.htm. Eight cups a day is a good rough estimate, but the amount you should drink can vary according to your weight, activity level, etc. The urge to drink so much water can also be a sign of diabetes, so please get that checked out by your doctor.
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat what ever I want. I eat healthy and throw in some treats. Its all good as long as its in moderation. There is absolutely no point in dieting if you obsess about eating "healthy", that will only make you miserable. If you look at my diary, I have chocolate, Indian takeaways, today I have loads of calories and with exorcise I'm still under my calorie goal (1300). I lost 1.3 pounds last week so I'm more than happy.
  • trillxbella
    Options
    Yes! That's exactly how I feel! I guess we should snack in between meals?
    I am having the same issue! I ate a huge a** bowl of grilled chicken (2 breasts) and 2 cups of broccoli and I'm so full. I also ate some Doritos so my whole day is 500 calories. I feel completely satisfied but I know that isn't enough calories. I can't force myself to eat so what should I do?

yes. snacks with beer and wine! :drinker:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Drinking 30 cups of water in a day might make it more difficult to get enough food in.

This ^ Stop drinking 30 cups of water. Do you realise too much water is not good for you? Is there a reason you did that?

Actually, while the age-old recommendation is 8 cups of water daily, that should really be viewed as a minimum. Many online calculators suggest much more. Based on my weight (which, granted, is pretty high), the calculator I just used suggests 26+ 8-ounce cups daily and that does not account for exercise, excess heat, dry climate, pregnancy, breastfeeding, high altitude, etc. For the record I never get that much in unless I'm working physically in the heat (when I definitely do!), but I don't feel like more would be bad. I think I'm at 10 or 11 today. I am not diabetic and do not take any medicines that would cause unusual thirst.

Others say 2.7 liters for women, 3.7 for men, again not accounting for any other factors, but just as a base amount. In any case, some of this would also come from food.

In a healthy adult, the kidneys can filter and excrete 15 liters of water a day. which is over 63 cups per day. If an individual had a very low sodium diet, renal problems, etc, of course adjustments would need to be made. But just because we've all heard "8 cups" doesn't mean it's correct. Thirty cups is a lot, but it isn't ridiculous, by any means, and the chances of ill effects such as water intoxication are unlikely unless she's trying to drink it all at once.

All of this having been said, however, there must be room for fuel as well. You can eat healthy choices and still include more calorie-dense foods, and in order to have continued success, you'll need to, in my opinion. But then, you know that. : )

I think there were some great suggestions earlier in the thread to help get you going in the right direction with that. Good for you for being open to making adjustments for continued success. :)

30 cups is rediculous in my eyes when there is no need for it and they want to be able to eat more.

I think ridiculous is an unnecessarily judgmental word, but I did also say that there must be room for fuel ("more food") as well. I was responding to the overly promoted, mostly erroneous idea that "too much" water is bad for you, when unless an individual has a health problem, drinks a huge amount at once (like during hazing or a stunt like the person on the radio show), is an endurance athlete who isn't replenishing electrolytes, etc, it pretty much never happens.

Even in the article referenced below, it says "the condition [water intoxication/dilutional hyponatremia] is quite rare in the general population." The diabetes warning could be valid, though.
    Drinking too much water can be very dangerous and can even be fatal due to the sodium imbalance that it might cause. Please see, for example, http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/water-intoxication.htm. Eight cups a day is a good rough estimate, but the amount you should drink can vary according to your weight, activity level, etc. The urge to drink so much water can also be a sign of diabetes, so please get that checked out by your doctor.

[/quote
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I think ridiculous is an unnecessarily judgmental word, but I did also say that there must be room for fuel ("more food") as well. I was responding to the overly promoted, mostly erroneous idea that "too much" water is bad for you, when unless an individual has a health problem, drinks a huge amount at once (like during hazing or a stunt like the person on the radio show), is an endurance athlete who isn't replenishing electrolytes, etc, it pretty much never happens.

Even in the article referenced below, it says "the condition [water intoxication/dilutional hyponatremia] is quite rare in the general population." The diabetes warning could be valid, though.

[/quote

I can't be bothered reading all you say. Point is too much water is filling her up so who cares about the rest?
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    Wow. Some of you guys are kind of mean. I drink a lot of water because I work in a very dry office environment (I get thirty there) and because my doctor told me that it's good to drink around half your body weight in oz.. I fill up my 32 oz pitcher of water about 2-4 times a day - depending on if I worked out or not.

AND - I don't drink that much because I am ALWAYS thirsty. I force myself to drink a lot of that water.

Anyway, I just just wondering how I could keep myself around my calorie goal because I *was* under it by 200-400 calories. I didn't want to put my body in starvation mode.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Agree with the people saying eat healthy fats. Some vitamins are fat soluble, so you don't get benefit from them without enough fat. Your body also needs fat for a number of processes (not the least of which is elimination!). And yes, a midmorning and midafternoon snack might be good for you, rather than sticking to big meals.

And WebMD agrees with your doctor. 1/2-1 oz per pound of body weight a day. But gradually over the day.
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    I started bringing snacks to work (Peanut butter with crackers, hummus) and eating a hard boiled egg here and there and it helped a lot!
    Agree with the people saying eat healthy fats. Some vitamins are fat soluble, so you don't get benefit from them without enough fat. Your body also needs fat for a number of processes (not the least of which is elimination!). And yes, a midmorning and midafternoon snack might be good for you, rather than sticking to big meals.
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue here-I'm eating 1500 cals a day and I can't seem to eat enough especially when working out. I can't eat full fat dairy, I had my gallbladder removed and it makes me terribly sick. I would love to have some cheese or full fat yogurt or something.
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    I drink a lot of water because I work in a very dry office environment (I get thirty there) and because my doctor told me that it's good to drink around half your body weight in oz.. I fill up my 32 oz pitcher of water about 2-4 times a day - depending on if I worked out or not.

AND - I drink that much because I am ALWAYS thirsty. I force myself to drink a lot of that water. It's not diabetes.

Anyway, I just just wondering how I could keep myself around my calorie goal because I *was* under it by 200-400 calories. I didn't want to put my body in starvation mode.

[/quote
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    Yes! After a workout, I find that I am not very hungry and I find it hard to eat back all of my calories I am sorry you are having trouble eating dairy. :( That sounds horrible.
    I have the same issue here-I'm eating 1500 cals a day and I can't seem to eat enough especially when working out. I can't eat full fat dairy, I had my gallbladder removed and it makes me terribly sick. I would love to have some cheese or full fat yogurt or something.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    remember that humans also absorb fluids for the things we eat veggies, soups, and so on. The glass of water recommendation is one just a recommendation and two it should be fluids in general not just reserved for glass of water. Unless you drink excessive amounts of coffee or tea you can count those in as a fluid. Don't ever force yourself to drink water to the point of being sick or feeling like your stomach is filled with nothing but water. That's too much of a good thing. everything in moderation.
    how about taking a few of your lunch time or mid day glasses of water and trading them out for smoothies, soup, or some form of drinkable calories. you'd still get the fluids but they'd be more calorie dense
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    Yes, you are right. I don't get a lunch break (just a ten minute break). My breakfast usually consists of a homemade smoothie, (seasonal fruit, a banana, and greek yogurt). I am going to try to bring more snacks to work - I am hoping that helps. Soup! That's a wonderful idea. I will look into that! Thank you so much!

remember that humans also absorb fluids for the things we eat veggies, soups, and so on. The glass of water recommendation is one just a recommendation and two it should be fluids in general not just reserved for glass of water. Unless you drink excessive amounts of coffee or tea you can count those in as a fluid. Don't ever force yourself to drink water to the point of being sick or feeling like your stomach is filled with nothing but water. That's too much of a good thing. everything in moderation.
    how about taking a few of your lunch time or mid day glasses of water and trading them out for smoothies, soup, or some form of drinkable calories. you'd still get the fluids but they'd be more calorie dense
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I just want to clarify something because there is a bit of confusion going on in this thread. It was not the original poster who mentioned drinking 30 cups of water. Someone else who posted a comment later on said she drank 30 cups of water a day, but later she edited her post and removed that. That is why some of us commented about the danger of drinking too much water. I don't want to say who it was, because obviously she doesn't want that to be there anymore. Perhaps she was just exaggerating to begin with, as someone would when they say something like "I drink a zillion cups of water a day." To the original poster ... best of luck with figuring out how to eat more! It sounds like you have gotten a lot of good suggestions.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Is it just full fat dairy or fat in general?