School Lunch Ideas

Options
I am in need of school lunch ideas for my five year old. He will not eat vegetables, so it would be a waste to even send them with him. What are some other healthy lunch ideas that you all have? I am really trying to avoid sending too many pre-packaged items in his lunch.

Replies

• robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    mine does sandwiches with pepperoni, pickles, mandarin oranges, rice krispy treats
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    how old is he?
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    He's five - just starting kindergarten.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but you can get stuff that has fewer ingredients when it comes to packaged food to still provide healthy things. My girls like fruit and olives - one likes peeled apples, the other likes watermelon. I give them either cheesesticks or the babybel cheese and one of my daughters like yogurt. They both like organic granola bars. I give them mini-rice cakes, or gold fish.
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old. I always pack their lunches as the school lunch is usually high in fat and sodium and I doubt they would eat all of it anyway. Here is a list of things that I have packed for them. Note that I usually pack things with two small cooler packs so that everything stays cool:

Carrot Sticks
    Brown Rice Cake with butter on it (or nut butter)
    Yogurt
    Smoothies (from Trader Joe's)
    Walnuts
    Turkey Sandwich on thin wheat bread (the kind that comes in a circle shape)
    Granola Bars
    Fruit/Cereal Bars
    Dry Cereal (as a snack) - such as Cheerios, Panda Puffs, etc)
    Cubes of Cheese or String Cheese
    Slices of Sweet Red Bell Pepper
    Leftovers from dinner in a heat-retaining Thermos (i.e. pasta with sauce)
    Nutella on a soft tortilla wrap
    Applesauce or other fruit sauce
    Whole Wheat English Muffins with Apple Butter
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mine usually get pb&j, water, apple sauce, something good (in their eyes), mandarin oranges, apples, fruit cups, yogurts, etc, some of it I will freeze, (yogurt, apple sauce) so it will still be cold. My oldest will sometimes bring a salad.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    If you can't sneak veggies in there, at least get in a good amount of protein. All the pre-packaged crap out there is mostly made of a carb-and-chemical soup, so stay away from it and use cheap protein to fill in the gap. Yogurt, deli meat, peanut or almond butter, etc.

Too many parents default to grabbing another serving of bagged carb crap and then wonder why our kids are getting enormous.
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Today I made my 6 year old son peanut butter (1 tablespoon) on wheat bread with banana...I have a dino shaped cutter I cut them into, pretzels, sliced apple, water.....He doens't like veggies either except carrots so for dinner I have him eat those so i make sure he eats them....I give him a v8 juice that has a serving of fruit and veggies....I have to be creative too since he didn't like even sandwiches when I packed his lunch last year....I made cheese and ham roll ups, peanut butter and graham cracker sandwiches, I would pack him healthy leftovers from dinner, bbq chicken...you can pack a hard boiled egg..make your own lunchable instead of buying one...hope this helps :)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bumping. There are some great ideas here. Thanks for sharing.
  • ptjbaker
    Options
    Try smoothies. Kids will drink what they will not eat. Freeze it and it will be ready by lunch time.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are really great ideas. We're working on sneaking veggies in at home, but it's going to be more difficult in a lunch box! At least now I can add some healthy options to his lunch.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have lots of ideas here

http://pinterest.com/wakko/brown-baggin-it/

Some of the links have tons of ideas to choose from. Good luck. My son was always hard to make lunches for too. I find if he has to help pack it he is more likely to eat it. Giving them some control helps.