Yummy CHIPS - slimming world style

Options
RBrigzy
RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
Tonight I am making "Slimming World Chips" a tip I received from a friend.

Simply cut and peel potatoes into chip shapes, I find this easiest by slicing a whole potato into thirds in both directions.

Place the chips into a pan of boiling water and cook for 8 minutes only - to par boil them.

Spray a large baking tray with something called "Fry Light" it is a Sunflower oil spray, that is one calorie per spray.
I find it in the supermarket amoungst the cooking oils.

Drain then spread the chips onto pre-sprayed backing tray.

Spray the tops of the chips.

Cook in an oven at a high temp around 200+ degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

After 15 minutes of cooking it is a good idea to take them out and mix them up / turn them over for an even cook.

I hope you enjoy - I find these chips to be really yummy - without the calories of cooking in oil.

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to give this a try - thanks for sharing!
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am making "Slimming World Chips" a tip I received from a friend.

Simply cut and peel potatoes into chip shapes, I find this easiest by slicing a whole potato into thirds in both directions.

Place the chips into a pan of boiling water and cook for 8 minutes only - to par boil them.

Spray a large baking tray with something called "Fry Light" it is a Sunflower oil spray, that is one calorie per spray.
    I find it in the supermarket amoungst the cooking oils.

Drain then spread the chips onto pre-sprayed backing tray.

Spray the tops of the chips.

Cook in an oven at a high temp around 200+ degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

After 15 minutes of cooking it is a good idea to take them out and mix them up / turn them over for an even cook.

I hope you enjoy - I find these chips to be really yummy - without the calories of cooking in oil.

This is one recipe I am going to try ... I will leave the skins on though as I need the fibre. Thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Here is the sunflower spray I find in the UK -

http://frylight.co.uk/indexfl.html
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I use a couple of shortcuts which seems a touch easier easier:

Instead of the parboiling step, just zap the chips for 3 minutes in the microwave before baking.

Get an oil sprayer (I ordered mine from amazon) which you can fill with your preferred vegetable oil (mine is olive oil).

The recipe I use dusts the zapped potatoes with cornstarch, but I am not sure if this results in crisper chips.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.
    Get an oil sprayer (I ordered mine from amazon) which you can fill with your preferred vegetable oil (mine is olive oil).

I would watch out with this though - as the intention of the recipe was to completely avoid the highly calorific oil...
  • girllizzard
    girllizzard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I ssume you mean 200 degrees Celsius.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    I ssume you mean 200 degrees Celsius.
    Yep - hot hot - to crisp up the chippies - but be careful not to leave in too long .. or they will be like twigs ;)
  • Kolmi01
    Kolmi01 Posts: 46
    Options
    Yum
  • vixxxen88
    vixxxen88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    these are great , and especially using sweet potato , if you par boil the chips and drain them , then leave them for 5-10 minutes so they dry out a bit and give them a shake in the pot before you put them onto the baking tray to rough up the edges, when they are baked they are nice and crispy!!
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been living off these most of my life, my parents have done the slimming world diet on and off and certain things have just stuck! I like to add paprika to mine too, they crisp up and look like pan fried chips. I love them! :)
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Mmmmm,

I think I will try your sweet potato and paprika ideas !

:)
  • LMJS
    LMJS Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great recipe! I can do a little tray of these for myself next time the family want wedges. Thx :happy:
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I dont attend the weekly meetings anymore

But this is still a recipe I do at home...so tasty! :drinker: