FitBit or no FitBit?

Options
Hi everyone,
I'd like to buy something that will help me accurately track calories burned during activity.
I've heard many people mention the FitBit.
Any recos?
Thanks!

Replies

• MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping with HRM... And see how fitbit and similar products develop and improve over the next 1-2 years... They don't quite hit the spot for me at the moment...
  • ccarew77
    ccarew77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was looking at HRM and was wondering how they compare.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There is no real comparison between a pedometer (which is all a FitBit is) to a HRM.

Fitbit is great for full day tracking (i.o.w. when you are not in gym or out running).

Fitbit is NOT great for tracking exercise.

If you are wanting to choose between one or the other, choose the HRM. You can get a cheep pedometer on Amazon for a couple bucks to track the rest of your day.

I like having both, but if I had to choose one over the other I would choose the HRM.

If you want something a bit more advanced I have heard decent things about the BodyFit and the soon to be released Amiigo.
  • dmvarner
    dmvarner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I also am looking into what to purchase so am commenting so I don't lose the thread. Is there something that tracks hr, calories, and is good for swimming and walking?
  • Ramatang
    Ramatang Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I love it.. It really helps me keep motivated by making sure I reach my daily goals and trying to better them each day :)
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, not so much for tracking calories, but because I like having the goal of taking so many steps in a day.

It reminds me to move around more when I am not exercising because I like seeing that I hit my daily goal. I like when I can increase that goal because I c silently hit it.

I'm not so sure about the tracking calories thing because I don't pay that much attention, since I'm not a fan of eating back exercise calories. And I don't think my daily walking around should add towards that anyways. If you go by a fitbit for your calories, you are probably counting things as exercise that you shouldn't.

If you want something that will remind you to move more, I highly recommend a fitbit flex. If you are curious about a estimate guess of how many calories you burned in a day, fitbit.

If you want to know an exact amount of calories you burned during exercising, get a heart rate monitor. It just depends on if you are waning to measure your exercise specifically or all day. A heart rate monitor will be more accurate for your specific exercise, but you can't wear it all day. If you want an approximate idea on what you are burning based on how much you move, fitbit.

It just depends on what you want more.
  • jennyann117
    jennyann117 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also am looking into what to purchase so am commenting so I don't lose the thread. Is there something that tracks hr, calories, and is good for swimming and walking?

I have a Polar FT and use it for HRM and calorie counting. I believe it is water-proof to certain depth, but don't quote me on that :) I paid $65 for it on amazon last year and it still works perfectly.
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there are TONS of prior topics asking this same exact question....with the same exact answers as what is in this thread. A little foot work will prevent duplicate topics (sorry if I sound like an *kitten*...it is what it is)
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As stated above, HRM is used for specific activity calorie burn (usually aerobic) and Fitbit is used for overall activity tracking. I have a Polar FT4 HRM and a Fitbit One. LOVE THEM BOTH.

Got the Fitbit for Christmas last year (my request) and have worn it every day since. I use it primarily to track my activity levels and estimate my daily calorie burn, but I especially love the sleep tracking feature and the silent alarm. So yes, I wear it pretty much all day and night except when I'm in the pool or shower.

I wear the HRM when I exercise or when I'm doing some other strenuous activity. The chest strap is designed to be able to get wet, and I in fact rinse off the elastic part of the chest strap after every use. According to the directions, the watch (receiver) can be worn in the water but they advise you not press any buttons while underwater. Oops I did it anyway, more than once, and it was totally fine. Have had the HRM since February, and I feel naked if I exercise without it.

Not only is it great for calorie burn, but I have found it very helpful since I started running in the Spring--specifically in terms of getting a grasp of how my heart rate affects my runs (or vice-versa).

Would be great to have an all-in-one device, but for now these work and I am very happy.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. It is such a great tool for non-step activity where your heartbeat is above an average amount. What it will do is motivate you to get off your butt... especially if you get Fitbit friends where your form a friend, motivating "competition". If your heart rate is above normal than you should use a HRM. I do both. If you get a Fitbit, then you log both and Fitbit's servers sort the calories out so you're not double dipping.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    love my fitbit zip!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    +1 to getting both.

I have a HRM (Polar FT40) for when I go to the gym, and a Withings Pulse for the rest of the day.
  • dawnoverb
    Options
    I have a fitbit One! LOVE IT! Makes me accountable for my activity throughout the day! I use MFP and MapMyWalk and it all just keeps me going! The challenges with other members is awesome too!
  • ccarew77
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the great feedback!
  • ccarew77
    Options
    I went with the Polar FT4 for now and will see how it goes!
  • sweepgurl101
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip and I love it. The only problem is that mines isn't syncing properly!