Help with food calorie decisions

Options
Maritill
Maritill Posts: 146 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi there,

My name is Marianne. I have been on here for about a week. My question is: when you look up a food to add to your list how do you know the amount? What is 1 oz.? tsp. , 1/4 cup, what? That is the one thing I'm not doing well at. I have been pretty good at filling the info in ASAP. Thanks for some insight.

Replies

• bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Start measuring your portions, once you know that ammount, google conversions to the listed units here on MFP.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Food scale! It is literally the only way to know how much food equals 1 oz!
  • bethanyfranco1
    Options
    8 oz in a cup so 1/8 cup i figure in a pinch. but you want a food scale.
  • l0sing_it
    Options
    Not all food weighs the same. There is a difference between solids, liquids, sauces, etc. But, here is a guide to help you out.

g = grams
    tsp = teaspoon
    tbs = tablespoon
    oz = ounce

1 oz = 28 g.
    2 tbs roughly = 1oz.
    6 tsp roughly = 1oz

1/4 cup is 4 tbs, so, roughly 2 oz.
    1/2 cup is 8 tbs, etc

Hope this helps :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

One of the best investments I made after joining MFP was to buy a kitchen scale , a set of standard measuring cups and measuring spoons.

No more eyeballing or guessing or using utensils.

I found out that I was eating almost 100% more calories while eyeballing portions.

Good luck in your journey
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    A kitchen scale is going to help you a great deal. My husband bought me one that measures in grams, oz, kg etc. You can also put your plate/bowl/glass on mine and zero out the weight before adding your food and drinks to them. Measuring your food is the only way you're going to be accurate about what you're eating and drinking. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Hi
    One of the best investments I made after joining MFP was to buy a kitchen scale , a set of standard measuring cups and measuring spoons.
    No more eyeballing or guessing or using utensils.
    <edited>
    Good luck in your journey

^^^^^This, and you are worth that small investment.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yes, get a good scale! Also, there are lots of online converters for oz to grams, etc. I have found that if I look for raw ingredients (bananas, raw) there usually 100 g measurements that I can adjust for what I've had. Those are the database entries without an asterisk.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The investment is worth it for the scale, cups and spoons and once you learn the average sizes it gets easier. It may also help to learn some of the conversions like 1/4 cup = 2 oz, 1 oz = 2 tbsp, 1 tbsp = 3 tspn, etc. but as you keep at it you'll learn and get the hang of it. G'luck!
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    A kitchen scale is going to help you a great deal. My husband bought me one that measures in grams, oz, kg etc. You can also put your plate/bowl/glass on mine and zero out the weight before adding your food and drinks to them. Measuring your food is the only way you're going to be accurate about what you're eating and drinking. Good luck :flowerforyou:

^Yes! Get one like that.

The Tare (sets to zero) option is a must, especially when you make things that will have layers.

Example, whole wheat pasta, I measure uncooked, 2oz = 1 serving. Then while the pasta is cooking, I nuke some frozen veggies in a bowl, and measure their cooked weight by grams. Toss in cooked pasta, set the bowl to zero, and then measure the sauce amount, tare (set to zero) and measure the parmesan sprinkles. And I know exactly how much pasta, veggies, sauce, and cheese to put in my diary. :) It's the best! And I only used one bowl and the pot for the pasta. Easy clean up. :smile:
  • shirshir36
    shirshir36 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify: 8 oz of weight don't equal 8oz of volume unless it is water.

for example, a cup filled with cotton balls weigh less than a cup of water even they both occupied the same volume.
    When portion size are quoted in Oz (or grams) use scale. When are quoted in volume (1/2 cup, 1/4 cup, etc), use a measuring cup.
  • Mamabear7809
    Options
    Definitely get a scale! I have a pretty basic one (must get one that can be zeroed so you can put a plate on it). I think I got mine for $8. There are some pretty pricey ones, but I love mine!
  • Buy a food scale at Walmart for $20. Measure your food based on weight (grams, pounds, oz, etc.), not volume (cups, fluid oz, tbsp, tsp, etc.).
  • Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'm happy to report that my son had bought me a scale just like you suggested about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Didn't use it much but I plan to start tomorrow. Going to put it front and center. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.